A way to fix a mistake...

markd21

I ordered a Dustie Waring CE24 Floyd in Waring Burst last week. I wasn't sure, and in one of those late night impulse buys, I went for it despite reservations. Concurrently I had been looking at an EBMM St. Vincent Ball Family Reserve model in a cool Sparkle Turquoise finish. I decided to pass on the St. Vincent, even though I have had them in the past and really dig 'em.

Anyway, the DW arrived yesterday. Here's the quick review:

Feel: Fantastic. The neck has a black satin finish and plays fast. I like it. The Floyd Rose is an OFR, not a 1000 series. It feels great and works the way a FR should. I was doing flutters and Vai-style harmonic pull-ups with ease

Tone: Not what I gravitate to these days, but it offers me something very usable. The output is not too hot, and I find the pickups more musical than HFS/VB, but not as organic as my favored 57/08. They are really more akin to an SD JB N/B set.

Appearance: YUCK The Satin finish on the body feels AWFUL. It's like there is "overspray" on the top of the body. It's not what I like to feel. I also HATE the open pore finish on the sides and back of the body, with the satin black. I know it's a popular thing these days - it's just not for me. I can deal with the idea of satin finishes if at least the wood grain is filled. Interesting, the trem bar on the FR seems to have the same "over-spray-y" feel the top of the body has.

The flame seems obscured by the color (basically reminds me of a flat Angry Larry, which glossed is a KILLER color). It IS a Figured Maple Top, but looks like a Schecter quality veneer.

Verdict: In the end it is not the guitar for me. Really, I should return it. BUT, I am not going to. I have a plan. A diabolical plan to turn this "mistake" into something SUPER rad and unique.....

THE PLAN (already in motion, muwahaha)

I took the guitar apart last night. Stripped it to it's barest component. I will admit I first did this to see if I hit the top with some 5000 grit wet/dry paper if I could take the "weird" feel off the top. I will admit that, while I didn't ruin the top, I messed it up enough to not be able to do anything but play it as is, or do this plan....

First, I am keeping the neck as-is. It looks cool, feels awesome and will add to the RAD effect I am going to create with this guitar.

Second, I am keeping the Black OFR and hardware. I debated chrome, but decided against it as my plan solidified.

Third, while the DW pickups aren't bad, I am going to out 59/09s in it instead. If I am going as far as I am, I might as well make the tone more in-line with what I like.

Finally, the body....

I am sending the body off to Marty Bell for an AMAZING Sparkle refinish. We'll need to discuss specifics once he receives the body, but I know the color I want....

The options I want to discuss with Marty are:

1) Just doing the whole body in that color

2) Doing just the top, keeping the natural binding, and having a gloss black back

I'll be fine either way, though option 2 will look WAY cooler. However, I just paid FULL PRICE for the DW and wifey isn't too pleased about the plan on top of the cost. So, if there's a big difference then I'll just do one color. If it's not that big of a difference than I'll go for option 2.

We'll see, and I'll keep you posted....

Awesome !!

When will there be more pics of this project!

Well, Marty and I will talk on the phone later. He's in CA, I 'm in FL - so I'll call after work. It'll be later afternoon for him. I still have to ship the body....

I guess probably no pics until it's done. If he sends proofs or anything, I'll share. But I am guessing probably a couple of months.

OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE your plan!! Especially the color!!!!!!!!

And, I agree on the awesome feel of those black satin finished necks. I was first intro'd to it on the SE Holcomb. Loved it so much that I had the PTC do the neck of the Cu22 I sent in for a refinish the same way.

OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE your plan!! Especially the color!!!!!!!!

And, I agree on the awesome feel of those black satin finished necks. I was first intro'd to it on the SE Holcomb. Loved it so much that I had the PTC do the neck of the Cu22 I sent in for a refinish the same way.

DING, DING, DING, Ladies and Gentleman we have a winner!:p

giphy.gif

I would do the back like this and give the top the gloss translucent finish it deserves... My 2p and all that...

Well, talked to Marty Bell this afternoon. I don't think he understood me over the phone regarding the natural binding. He encouraged me to go full-solid sparkle, or add a black burst to the sparkle. I think once he sees it, and we talk again, we can revisit the "fancy" version I wanna go for.

Also, I went ahead and bought all chrome hardware...a German-made OFR "1984", PRS S2 tuning keys, nickel 57/08s. I think it'll have a KILLER 80s vibe visually, but tonally it will like my comfy, worn through camo cargo shorts. So, in other words, perfect!!!!

More updates to come!

Well, talked to Marty Bell this afternoon. I don't think he understood me over the phone regarding the natural binding. He encouraged me to go full-solid sparkle, or add a black burst to the sparkle. I think once he sees it, and we talk again, we can revisit the "fancy" version I wanna go for.

Also, I went ahead and bought all chrome hardware...a German-made OFR "1984", PRS S2 tuning keys, nickel 57/08s. I think it'll have a KILLER 80s vibe visually, but tonally it will like my comfy, worn through camo cargo shorts. So, in other words, perfect!!!!

More updates to come!

Mark, you’re a f***ing boss!

Back