A True, 100% Classic: The Custom 24

CK_142KillerQuiltBodyAAA.JPG
I have a pretty nice CU24, but I don’t expect to keep it.
I rarely need the 2 extra frets (one Beethoven piece I like need them), and my bootleg Westie is more convenient to grab, so that’s what gets played.
I do agree that the CU24 was at the heart of what made PRS important.
Oh my that is beautiful.

The Custom 24 is my favorite guitar model ever. I seem to be in the minority as I love the pattern thin neck and use the 23rd and 24th frets regularly. My ideal Custom 24 turned out to be the 24-08 with a maple neck and swamp ash back.
m0lvGsP.jpg

i4kdIc4.jpg
Another gorgeous one.

This is a fun thread (at least, for me). From time to time, I've pigeonholed my own CU24, yet it's such a great, versatile guitar!!

I'm rediscovering it on pretty much a daily basis, since I've become addicted to it recently, and as sometimes happens with a guitar you've only played 'in the rotation', I've fallen madly in love with it all over again.

It could be that after nearly 7 years, the guitar is doing that thing that happens after you've had a guitar for a while, and the tone is developing into its potential. I don't discount that idea, and there's a good thread here on the how guitars age, that goes into this idea in more depth.

In any case, here I have a beautiful sounding guitar that works extremely well with a variety of amps, in a variety of situations. I think that's what Paul Smith wanted to accomplish, and I think he succeeded brilliantly.

Glory to the CU24!!!

By creed and conviction, I don't approve of 24-fret guitars. I don't need the extra frets, and I've taken a doctrinal vow to believe that the neck pickup position, away from the 24th-fret sweet harmonic spot, renders the tone less fulsome than God (and Gibson) intended.

Stop me if I've told this one before (or ignore the senior rambling), but I was at the NAMM Show in '85 where PRS guitars - in the form of what we now call the Custom 24 - were introduced to the world at large, and like most mere mortals, was fairly gobsmacked at the shape, flame, color, fit-n-finish, and quality. I did get to finger one, unamplified, at the show, and loved the feel. Got the bad wants. Given my socio-economic non-status at the time, owning one was more aspiration than possibility.

But I did get to play one through an amp some months later...and lost all interest in owning one. All the great stuff was still great, but - especially clean - the guitar seemed to me a tone-free zone. With gain, an ideal tractable and consistent control surface for a high-gain amp, with just enough variation across the pickups and settings to provide a great hard-rock palette which couldn't possibly mud up the low end in a busy spectrum.

But clean character? I thought it the height of bland anonymity, and blamed that perceived deficiency on a toxic combination of 24 frets and the 25" scale length, with neither the warmth and bloom of Gibson nor the snap and punch of Fender.

Thus for several intervening decades, my jerking knee has responded to the PRS as an ideal guitar for "modern" rock - defined, I suppose, as the higher-gain, brighter and bitier sonorities and textures in the hard rock of the 80s onward and its derivatives. None of which was or is my thang, as they say. (Not that I have anything against it, or that I don't appreciate those tones in those contexts, or that I'm agin' change or want y'all to git off my lawn. I deploy suchlike tones from time to time, and think I'm competent in that zone...but they aren't my home base.)

But one thing and another yadda yadda, and some months ago I began to explore PRS in more detail, and lo and behold I find myself with a silly stack of the damn things - mostly SEs. Among them has been a pile of Custom 24s (as well as PRSeses at different scale lengths, so I can better parse the contributions [or subtractions] of scale vs fret count/neckpup position).

And hey hey wouldn't you know it, I'm now perfectly accepting of the CU24 spec. What I once heard as neither here nor there (on a conceptual Gibson-Fender continuum) I now hear as a pretty durn good midway point between them - proving that that midpoint is actually a distinct place of its own (as others have observed). I appreciate the versatility and the spectrum. The somewhat attenuated low end is, I admit, an antidote to mud (which can be fattened at the amp if necessary). The closer proximity of neck and bridge pickups makes for a smoother and more consistent range of voicings, so that the guitar doesn't sound schizophrenic when switching between, splitting coils, and blending the pickups.

(I also appreciate the -08 switching "innovation," but I refuse to gush about it since I've had numerous guitars since the 80s with that functionality, and don't think of it as such a big deal. The trick of not killing an entire coil when splitting isn't even entirely new - and while I readily admit that incorporating it makes for much better single-coil tones, I won't bow down in gratitude for the separate toggle switches when each pickup should have its own split under its own push-pull pot).

ANYWAY
- I'm now happy to acknowledge that the Custom 24 spec which put PRS on the map is indeed a classic configuration, an "iconic" standard along with the classics of the previous decades. It deserves to be the perennial flagship of the line, the spec against which all other PRS guitars are defined in terms of their variation from it. I have several, and every time I play one I'm impressed all over again at its achievement in seamlessly merging 30 prior years of electric guitar evolution into one species. It could almost be said that the Custom 24 is the apotheosis of electric guitar - the golden mean, possibly the distilled essence of the instrument. Every time I play one, I'm tickled all over again, and find it impossible to sell.

But it's not my favorite PRS to play. Maybe it's that the slightly longer neck and its associated playing position is a bit less comfortable for a short-armed, short-torsoed, small-handed old guy (though I'm not consciously aware of that when playing - and have no trouble with longer-scale instruments). Or maybe it's just all those prior years of conditioning. The 22-fretters consistently get more of my playing time - and, leaving the full hollowbodies out of this conversation, my favorite solidbodies tend to be those which aren't solid. Semis and heavily chambered guitars always press my juicy tone buttons.

Which probably makes a Custom 22 Semi - with separately splittable Paul's Guitar pickups - my personal Ultimate PRS. Luckily, I can cobble one together.

But I'm happy to stand right up with the rest of y'all and praise the 100% True Classicness (time-tested, no less) of the Custom 24.

Last edited:
I like PRS and PRS Customs and have owned seven.

My thoughts are it probably counts as a modern classic.

Classics?

ES150 - first commercially successful electric guitar - 1936

Tele - first commercially successful solid body electric guitar - (nee Broadcaster / Nocaster / Esquire) - 1950

Strat - Custom Contour body, a working trem designed from scratch, three pickups, an influence on almost everything that came after - what else to say... 1954

Les Paul - a solid body ES175 that sounds magical through the right amp - basically THE sound of 70s rock.

P Bass - completely new instrument from the mind of the genius who also designed the aforementioned Tele and Strat plus (when he wasn’t dreaming up new guitars) the Fender line of amps - 1951

Almost everything else that's been commercially successful is just a mishmash or reworking of the above. (Stuff like Steinberger or Parker etc fails as a classic as it never sold in any numbers or influenced other products like the ES150 did)

Customs are a reworking of a Strat and Les Paul - even the first 1985 PRS catalogues described them a 'hybrid guitars'

Remove from history anything recorded with any of the above (except the ES150) and you're left with big holes. Remove anything recorded with a PRS Custom?? Would we even really notice?

Thus for several intervening decades, it's been my knee jerk to consider PRS an ideal guitar for "modern" rock - defined, I suppose, as embodying the higher-gain, brighter and bitier sonorities and textures in the hard rock of the 80s onward and its derivatives.
I've always felt he original Customs (with T and Bs) were designed as hi-gain rock guitars - and that they were probably tested using a Boogie MK3 turned up full:)

I'm interested in your decision to go with the 85/15 pickups. I know it's an age old question, but I've been considering swapping out the VB/HFS on my Navarro for some time, considered 59/09s at one point but never pulled the trigger.
You won’t be disappointed. My fav PRS pickup at this time, have them in a 2019 24-08 covered and there killer!

Speaking of the original T&B pickups, I didn't discover until way later, but now I can only associate them with the incredible tone and playing of David Grissom with Joe Ely. The sounds he got through a Marshall half stack were magic. David was known for his Standards, but the goldtop had a maple cap so was essentially a Custom.

Last edited:
I'm a 22-fret guy, but I fully recognize that the CU24 is the OG and the jumping-off point for all things PRS.

I love watching the evolution of the model as new features, pickups, etc. have been rolled out.

Last edited:
I like PRS and PRS Customs and have owned seven.

My thoughts are it probably counts as a modern classic.

Classics?

ES150 - first commercially successful electric guitar - 1936

Tele - first commercially successful solid body electric guitar - (nee Broadcaster / Nocaster / Esquire) - 1950

Strat - Custom Contour body, a working trem designed from scratch, three pickups, an influence on almost everything that came after - what else to say... 1954

Les Paul - a solid body ES175 that sounds magical through the right amp - basically THE sound of 70s rock.

P Bass - completely new instrument from the mind of the genius who also designed the aforementioned Tele and Strat plus (when he wasn’t dreaming up new guitars) the Fender line of amps - 1951

Almost everything else that's been commercially successful is just a mishmash or reworking of the above. (Stuff like Steinberger or Parker etc fails as a classic as it never sold in any numbers or influenced other products like the ES150 did)

Customs are a reworking of a Strat and Les Paul - even the first 1985 PRS catalogues described them a 'hybrid guitars'

Remove from history anything recorded with any of the above (except the ES150) and you're left with big holes. Remove anything recorded with a PRS Custom?? Would we even really notice?
I probably wouldn’t, you probably wouldn’t, but there has been a ton of music that means a lot to somebody that was recorded with ‘em.

I think a lot of it depends on how old you are and what stuff you listen to. If we used that same logic, and included any and every guitar make and model made from 1985 on… we might be able to say the same thing about every guitar.

I hang out with (and play with and married) millennials, and some of the dumb sh!t they listen to, and I mean is part of their soul and Earthly life experience was recorded with PRS (Customs or not).

Stuff like Minus The Bear means as much to my wife and her brother as The Clash means to me. 311 looms f@ckin large in modern thirty year-olds lives, like, (sings) “Amber is the color of your energy wha-whoa…” is the real sh!t to these people!

So yeah, we might not notice, but we’re old AF.

I probably wouldn’t, you probably wouldn’t, but there has been a ton of music that means a lot to somebody that was recorded with ‘em.

I think a lot of it depends on how old you are and what stuff you listen to. If we used that same logic, and included any and every guitar make and model made from 1985 on… we might be able to say the same thing about every guitar.

I hang out with (and play with and married) millennials, and some of the dumb sh!t they listen to, and I mean is part of their soul and Earthly life experience was recorded with PRS (Customs or not).

Stuff like Minus The Bear means as much to my wife and her brother as The Clash means to me. 311 looms f@ckin large in modern thirty year-olds lives, like, (sings) “Amber is the color of your energy wha-whoa…” is the real sh!t to these people!

Thanks Sergio - you're right. I will have a listen to Minus the Bear and 311 later.

Post 1985 - I think one of the Superstrats probably deserves credit as a Classic as they brought something completely new to the table - I'm just not sure which one...

I'd probably go JEM 777 if pushed as they (or direct spin-offs) were (and remain) so popular.

Last edited:

As a millennial I totally agree with this. I was born in 90 and started playing guitar in 2000 and my first exposure to PRS was seeing Alex Lifeson playing his black CE24. Since then my tastes have slowly lead me to progressive metal and tons of those bands use Custom 24s.

I was showing a guy at work a song I learned when I first started playing by The Devil Wears Prada and he couldn’t believe that type of music was nostalgic to me. “Classics” really change depending on what you grew up on I suppose.

Thanks Sergio - you're right. I will have a listen to Minus the Bear and 311 later.

Post 1985 - I think one of the Superstrats probably deserves credit as a Classic as they brought something completely new to the table - I'm just not sure which one...

I'd probably go JEM 777 if pushed as they (or direct spin-offs) were (and remain) so popular.
Ehhh… I’m not sayin’ you gotta listen to any of it, I’m not recommending them or anything.

It’s just that different music means something to different people. Like, my life would actually be greatly improved if you took every song recorded with a Rickenbacker electric guitar out of existence.

Ehhh… I’m not sayin’ you gotta listen to any of it, I’m not recommending them or anything.

It’s just that different music means something to different people. Like, my life would actually be greatly improved if you took every song recorded with a Rickenbacker electric guitar out of existence.

Gotta throw out there that the Prince Revolution stuff had a Rick front and center on it and killed.

I'm interested in your decision to go with the 85/15 pickups. I know it's an age old question, but I've been considering swapping out the VB/HFS on my Navarro for some time, considered 59/09s at one point but never pulled the trigger.
I didn't make the decision to go with the 85/15s - the pickups were simply part of the spec of that PS run. I figured if I didn't like them, I could swap them out, but turned out I love the way they work with this guitar. They're not crazy-hot, and they're smooth, but they have enough to goose the front end of an amp just the way I like.

However -- take my joy over these pickups with this important caveat:

I'm what most modern players would call a low-gain player.

I don't play squeaky clean, either. I'm closer to the sweet spot between clean and crunch I hear Tim Pierce doing on his YouTube channel's tracks, though I'd say my preferred tone is still a bit different.

I set the amps up so that when the guitar volume control is below 6, it's pretty clean. Above 6 on the guitar, and I can get progressively more crunch with the guitar volume, and/or by digging in a little more with the pick.

Two of my amps are single-channel amps (HXDA and DG30) and I use the other two as single channel amps on their clean channels (Fillmore 50 and Lone Star 100).

Even my pedals are set to very low gain, more as color boxes than as distortion boxes.

Most of the folks here use much higher gain when they play than I do.

Gotta throw out there that the Prince Revolution stuff had a Rick front and center on it and killed.
Ricks can be an acquired taste. I know Sergio doesn't care for Beatles music, and may not be into all those early Petty tracks. I love that stuff!

I like the Rick sound, and made a lot of dough using them on Americana-style ad music tracks. Nothing else does what they do. When you need 'that sound', there's only one way to get it - with a Rick.

I'd actually buy another one if the right project came along, and might even hang onto it after the project ended!

Wait, what am I saying. We all know I'd trade it in for another PRS after the show was over. ;)

Ricks can be an acquired taste. I know Sergio doesn't care for Beatles music, and may not be into all those early Petty tracks. I love that stuff!

I like the Rick sound, and made a lot of dough using them on Americana-style ad music tracks. Nothing else does what they do. When you need 'that sound', there's only one way to get it - with a Rick.

I'd actually buy another one if the right project came along, and might even hang onto it after the project ended!

Wait, what am I saying. We all know I'd trade it in for another PRS after the show was over. ;)
Yeah! I hate that stuff. I’m so anti-Americana it’s like, a deep rooted mental disorder I have. I blame my punk rock Gen X upbringing.

But it’s because of my bigotry that I can kinda empathize with people who think no good music has been made with a PRS. People like that are completely wrong, just as I was by forgetting about The Revolution.

I assume this was posted at some point while I was away from the forum, but it’s like Guitar World was answering a TGP PRS thread with this article:

https://www.guitarworld.com/feature...d-carlos-santana-on-why-they-love-prs-guitars

It’s a mildly interesting read.

Back