A Tale of Trigger

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
Willie Nelson and his guitar Trigger. Here's a short clip on their history together that was released a few days ago by Rolling Stone Films.

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - Thanks to my friend JL for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting Lloyd. I have a cool little story about Trigger. Willie was playing Jazz Fest, I believe in 98'. I was backstage and the last few band members and roadies had just cleared the stage before the start of the show except for tune'n tom, who was/is Willie's guitar tech and reeked of weed. Tom pulled Trigger out of a plastic hardshell Martin case and layed it out on a small table right where I was standing. He did not introduce himself, nor did I. We talked guitar chatter, more specifically, we discussed Trigger. He pointed out some of the signatures and road scars and the stories behind them. I saw "tune'n tom" signed on the front lower bout. I then said you must be tune'n tom. He freaked out and got all paranoid (drugs are a terrible thing) and asked how I knew. I properly introduced myself and showed him the sig and what seemed to be the right connection bewteen the sig and his job. He said "wow man that is deep trippin" or something to that effect and gave me several guitar picks. I asked if I could look at the guitar a little closer and he said "sure, I have to go get something, keep an eye on him and dont let no one else touch him. I said sure thing Tom. I looked frantically for the photographer that was with us, but to no avail. After a closer inspection, t

Thank you for posting Lloyd. I have a cool little story about Trigger. Willie was playing Jazz Fest, I believe in 98'...
You're welcome, but I should be thanking you! I'm lovin' this story... Is there more?

Lloyd

You're welcome, but I should be thanking you! I'm lovin' this story... Is there more?

Lloyd

Well.. there is. I don't know what happened to the rest of the post? Sorry for that. so here is the rest.

After a closer inspection at the sigs and commentary on the guitar, the temptation was to much to resist. I picked up Trigger and strapped him on. I did not strum or pick it because that would have been going to far. As if I had not done that already. Could not find the photographer and put it back down long before Tom returned. I could faintly smell the Brazillaian Rosewood back and sides and clearly smell the Spanish Cedar kerfing, which possibly could have included the top. The Red,White and Blue strap was comfy and smelled like, well something else. Not sure what. Not that bad just something else. Tom came back and said Willie would be up in a minute If I wanted to meet him. I declined because I could see Willie was being pulled in a bunch of directions already behind the stage. I took a seat right next to Trigger on the side of the stage to watch the show. Willie came up and Tune'n Tom strapped him up and something like OK, Good to Willie and nodded at Wilile and then Tom nodded to me. Willie looked over and nodded to me and went to the stage and did what Willie Does. Seeing that guitar so up close and personal was great. That guitar is America, Americana, Rock and Roll, Country, it just is a story of American Music. I have the memory, I wish had the pic to go with it.

Like I said. I wrote this in the original post, guess I hit something or the other and part of it went away. That is the rest of it.

Audie,

What a great story! Thank you for sharing it. Really cool. I have a Trigger story too, but it can't begin to compete with yours so I'll just keep it to myself.

Lloyd

Back