A subtle movement? A crack noise while picking up my '08 CE

Korina Jack

One of my favorite guitars in my collection is my 2008 PRS CE. I have this mysterious subtle crack noise or if feels like there's movement in the neck...no tuning issues...could there be subtle neck movement? It sounds like a crack noise but no rattle. What can this be? Truss rod? Nonetheless I love my CE.

I've heard the same thing on my CE's and on my Cu24 so I don't think it is because of the bolt on neck. I think it is because of holding the guitar next to your body and as it warms up there is enough expansion to tweak something just enough to cause the sound; like your house "creaking" as it expands but nothing is coming loose. If you sit in a quiet place and are not making noise with the git-fiddle, you can hear it.

I've heard the same thing on my CE's and on my Cu24 so I don't think it is because of the bolt on neck. I think it is because of holding the guitar next to your body and as it warms up there is enough expansion to tweak something just enough to cause the sound; like your house "creaking" as it expands but nothing is coming loose. If you sit in a quiet place and are not making noise with the git-fiddle, you can hear it.

Bam! Perfectly described. Thanks.

Back