A String Harmonics

Hal Armstrong

I recently purchased an Angelus SE A30E. When I played with my band mates, the A string would start vibrating to the point it would hit the frets and make an unwanted sound. I've never experienced this with any other guitar. Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this happen and what you might suggest to resolve the problem short of not using the guitar.

That's a sympathetic vibration. It means your guitar is especially resonate for that A. I wouldn't think you would want to do anything to your guitar to permanently decrease its resonance. Try moving away from other instruments that are playing all those As.

As a side note, The Beatles were the first to record sympathetic resonance as an intended inclusion in a recorded song. On I Feel Fine, John's guitar, an semi-acoustic Gibson with a pickup, started a sympathetic resonance when John set it against his amp. That developed into an increasing feedback. It was a studio accident that they duplicated and used in the opening of the song. One account suggested that it initially happened another way, that a plucked A from Paul's bass started John's A string going...

The principal here is the same. The A from your bandmates is just like the A from John's amp. Both physically excite the A string on the guitars in question, causing it to vibrate more and more.

The solution is also the same. To stop the feedback, John moved away from his amp. To stop yours, move away from the other instruments for the songs where it happens.

Last edited:
I had a McCarty that was the most resonant guitar I've ever played. It would start sympathetic notes when it's own strings were played. Hit an A on the B string and the A string would also ring out. I had to cover strings to keep them quiet. Had it's good points and it's bad ones. I can say it was impressive.

That's a sympathetic vibration. It means your guitar is especially resonate for that A. I wouldn't think you would want to do anything to your guitar to permanently decrease its resonance. Try moving away from other instruments that are playing all those As.

As a side note, The Beatles were the first to record sympathetic resonance as an intended inclusion in a recorded song. On I Feel Fine, John's guitar, an semi-acoustic Gibson with a pickup, started a sympathetic resonance when John set it against his amp. That developed into an increasing feedback. It was a studio accident that they duplicated and used in the opening of the song. One account suggested that it initially happened another way, that a plucked A from Paul's bass started John's A string going...

The principal here is the same. The A from your bandmates is just like the A from John's amp. Both physically excite the A string on the guitars in question, causing it to vibrate more and more.

The solution is also the same. To stop the feedback, John moved away from his amp. To stop yours, move away from the other instruments for the songs where it happens.

Thank you for the response! I was not aware of sympathetic vibration as I am rather new at this.

Hal, it might also be that your guitar's neck needs straightening via the truss rod. If it's bowed back a little, the strings can buzz against the frets.

Back