A Second PRS

Sean McCarthy

I play in a modern country cover band and I currently have a PRS CE 24 that I love. I'm looking to get a second PRS in the $1000 to $1500 range and was wondering what would be a recommended one to complement the CE 24? The lead guitarist plays mostly Tele's so I'm covering the humbucker rhythm stuff. The thing I love most about the CE is the neck too. Best playing neck I've ever had. Any thoughts, insight, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

In my country-ish band, I play double duty with the other guitarist playing both lead and rhythm parts. His rig is very bright and he has a light touch, so I go the other direction. He usually plays a Gibson “The Paul” with 490 pickups or a Strat with actives, so I counter with a DGT Std or SE245 with Antiquities, or an RL Vela, which I beat the bajeebers out of. We’ve played together for 7+ years and think we gel well together. The mix has been pretty good, IMO, so I highly recommend those options.

Thank you all for the replies! Really appreciate the perspective. I'm new to all the different PRS models so this is really helpful and greatly appreciated.

In my country-ish band, I play double duty with the other guitarist playing both lead and rhythm parts. His rig is very bright and he has a light touch, so I go the other direction. He usually plays a Gibson “The Paul” with 490 pickups or a Strat with actives, so I counter with a DGT Std or SE245 with Antiquities, or an RL Vela, which I beat the bajeebers out of. We’ve played together for 7+ years and think we gel well together. The mix has been pretty good, IMO, so I highly recommend those options.

This is definitely the kind of set up we're working on. Been together for about a year and a half. He plays mostly tele's now through a Carr Slant 6v and another Carr I can't remember the name of. I have the CE24 and a Tele with a humbucker in the neck through a Mesa Electra Dyne or Peavey Classic 30 for smaller gigs. Been a good balance so far but still working on it.

This is definitely the kind of set up we're working on. Been together for about a year and a half. He plays mostly tele's now through a Carr Slant 6v and another Carr I can't remember the name of. I have the CE24 and a Tele with a humbucker in the neck through a Mesa Electra Dyne or Peavey Classic 30 for smaller gigs. Been a good balance so far but still working on it.
If you’re solidly in the country genre, anything with immediacy like the CE or a Tele is a safe bet. We’re more in the crossover side of country and blend a classic rock/alt rock spice to our set list. The other guitarist sports an Orange w/ 1x12 and I’ve used my Super Dallas until about a year ago when I transitioned into a Kemper. Now I’m leaning toward older Marshall profiles which still balances well against the other guy. It did brighten me up a little but I balance more with softer attack/picking/finger picking which works especially well with the DGT. If I were to hone in on one recommendation it would be the DGT (which is a modded McCarty). The split coil alone is worth a look! But honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of these suggestions in this thread.

McCarty..it covers the LP tones. It’s a full sounding guitar, and a great counterpoint to a bright 2nd guitar sound. It’s my go-to for that situation.

Back