A realization.....

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
......The good thing about being the least proficient musician in a group is that you don't really have a choice.....it forces you to learn new stuff.

Also, what I am finding is that everyone in the band doesn't have to be a musical virtuoso. As long as each member knows their role and plays that role well, and the blend of those roles make a nice, cohesive whole, then it can sound really good.

And, for interest, a weird a$$ selfie from last night's rehearsal. My singer is a selfie fiend.....lol

84685740_10108205409151163_2409421625935003648_n.jpg

Last edited:
Being a virtuoso is not a requirement. Being a good band mate and listening to and playing WITH other band members is. A band made up of members who interact and play well with each other is a much better band than one made up of virtuoso players all doing their own thing.

When I moved to Hawaii 20 yrs ago. I was really intimidated by some of the Hawaii guys and their chops. They seem to love to know Jazz chords out here even if they don't use them. I got to a few jams and its good with lots of comments and compliments about my Texas style. One guy in particular invited me many times to play with he and his group at different places. I thought I was a sore thumb, he thought he had to improve his blues technique. It showed me that you can always bring something even if you think you cannot.

Ha, I was not lucky enough to be a great guitar guy so I have to make up for it in other ways.

My last band played everything too fast and it took a lot to make those guys understand that. I recorded a couple of shows and handed out copies to everyone, that's what it took to get my point across.

It was a waist of my time as our idiot singer couldn't count and correct tempos made that more obvious. I offered to help him with that but he insisted that he was doing just fine and it just pissed me off more as time went on.

I quit to save my sanity and he was rolling cabinets over my Intex guitar cables so he was about to loose some front teeth.

Ha, I was not lucky enough to be a great guitar guy so I have to make up for it in other ways.

My last band played everything too fast and it took a lot to make those guys understand that. I recorded a couple of shows and handed out copies to everyone, that's what it took to get my point across.

It was a waist of my time as our idiot singer couldn't count and correct tempos made that more obvious. I offered to help him with that but he insisted that he was doing just fine and it just pissed me off more as time went on.

I quit to save my sanity and he was rolling cabinets over my Intex guitar cables so he was about to loose some front teeth.

I feel your pain, tempos are so important and it seems to be lost on some people!

Back