A question of Color

Wakester

Re Member
I have a question that I would like the crowd to help me with. My 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24 Quilt Top has a color variance that is confusing me. When I purchased Lava, it was listed as Vintage Sunburst and in the pictures that is what it appeared to be. Once I got it cleaned up and photographed, and looked at it under my lighting, it appeared as though it was Cherry Sunburst. (see pictures below) So my question is this, is it VS or CS, or are they in fact the same color?

[url=https://imgflip.com/i/238dem]

I am trying to make sure I have accurate information about my rig, so that I don't look like a total fool when I talk about it. Any help will be appreciated.
[/url]

That looks more cherry in that pic. Which makes it more better for me.

I have a question that I would like the crowd to help me with. My 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24 Quilt Top has a color variance that is confusing me. When I purchased Lava, it was listed as Vintage Sunburst and in the pictures that is what it appeared to be. Once I got it cleaned up and photographed, and looked at it under my lighting, it appeared as though it was Cherry Sunburst. (see pictures below) So my question is this, is it VS or CS, or are they in fact the same color?

I am trying to make sure I have accurate information about my rig, so that I don't look like a total fool when I talk about it. Any help will be appreciated.
Heck it’s saweet whatever you call it!

It is absolutely amazing! It has a 3D flow to it, that changes the quilt as you change the angle that you are looking at it from.
Just love the quilt, sometimes I can’t believe it’s formed naturally.

It’s just so fluid. Lovely guitar, enjoy!

Since we are guitar pals, mine looks more reddish brown than cherry. Yours looks the same as mine. Looks like they sprayed the same finish on the burst as they did on the back of the guitar.

Yeah, there are some colours that are so close, that variances will put them closer to another colour entirely, but it's still within standard deviation of the normal range of that colour. CS and VS are two of those.

We'd have to see a colour-correct picture on a calibrated monitor, or in person, to say for sure. And by 'we', I mean, someone else, cause those two colours often look the same to me, and are much too subtle a difference for me to corroborate anything.

Yeah, there are some colours that are so close, that variances will put them closer to another colour entirely, but it's still within standard deviation of the normal range of that colour. CS and VS are two of those.

We'd have to see a colour-correct picture on a calibrated monitor, or in person, to say for sure. And by 'we', I mean, someone else, cause those two colours often look the same to me, and are much too subtle a difference for me to corroborate anything.

Makes sense, and for all we know, my eyes may be getting as bad as my ears, and I'm just seeing things.

We'd have to see a colour-correct picture on a calibrated monitor, or in person, to say for sure.

You stole my thoughts. Plus there's that whole issue of white balance varying on devices and cameras. From my experiences trying to shoot a certain Blue-Green CU24, it can get quite challenging. You really need optimal lighting to get things to display as intended sometimes.

It's a beautiful guitar, but I don't think it rises to a cherry sunburst under any circumstances. Cherry sunbursts are bold. You'd really have to soften up the color to get it to look like that.

It’s a Vintage Sunburst. PRS has made two kinds of cherry burst colors, at least for the core line; one is a dark cherry burst, and it’s darker and redder than what you have, the other is a lighter center area with a redder edge area.

I’ve had Core models in the Vintage Sunburst, and I’m pretty sure that’s what yours is. I’m guessing PRS had something like a “tea burst” Les Paul faded coloring in mind when they named it Vintage Sunburst.

One of my favorite colors, by the way.

THIS IS VINTAGE SUNBURST:
productImage

and this:
166594-1.jpg

I've also seen other colors listed by dealers as Vintage Sunburst that are misnamed. Some of them are brown. Some of them are black (tobacco). This one is more like a wine color, and it's one of my favorite finishes of all time. The SE guitars are finished in a completely different department on the other side of the world, so if they call it vintage sunburst, it may very well be for the SE line, I'm not sure.

Back