A PRS Banjo, plausible? Yes or No?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
I got to thinking about banjos recently and my imagination amuses me sometimes. I can see the Appalachian mountains from where I live and, despite all the hillbilly and banjo jokes, I have learned to appreciate Bluegrass music. So I learned recently that Gibson lost their ability to make banjos. Probably not a big loss; who the heck wants to pay $50,000.00 for a banjo anyway? The splinter company "The Heritage" who makes guitars out of the original Gibson factory at one time offered banjos but even those were sub contracted out and built elsewhere and they aren't in their catalog any more. The remaining big names in banjos don't really float my boat (not that I'm an expert on banjos or even know how to play one). It seems to me that the only banjo maker out there who is making a professional grade banjo at an affordable price is Washburn with banjos starting at around the $700.00/$800.00 price range.

So, just for what may be an entertaining discussion, what do you think about the invention of a PRS banjo which would compete with any of the other professional offerings which are already on the market? Plausible or not at all practical? And by professional, I mean loud resonator, heavy brass ring, great looks, great playability and so on.

Maybe PRS doesn't know how to build a banjo. Maybe the only way it could be affordable would be to introduce an overseas made banjo. Maybe there isn't enough demand for banjos for the idea to be practical.

Opinions?

Discuss.

What, no deliverance jokes? I think I'll buy a banjo and learn how to play it just to piss people off. hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough demand.

But I'm a proud owner of a banjo. Lousy at playing it, but I have one. Keep telling myself I'll really learn it one day.

I have a great appreciation for banjo music.

Especially that bit where it stops.

Seriously, check out Alison Brown. And Steve Martin.

Pfft. You call that banging banjo stuff music? This is music:

I'll see your accordion and raise you 2 bagpipes, Celtic drums, the Air Force Orchestra and 4 girls who's legs move in freakish but still attractive ways.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bOJKAa2ovY8[/video]

And if that isn't enough, I'll bring this thread full circle...

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLoyYUPsNUI[/video]

Last edited:
I'd love to see an archtop acoustic or mando get the PRS treatment.

They done some killer Mandolins through PS

attachment.php

PRSmando.jpg

Well... As long as this thread is derailed already...

I F@ckin' LOVE Piazzolla! Got introduced to him through that Al D. World Sinfonia project and then had a bunch of buddies from Argentina hit me with some more of his work, so good!

Pfft. You call that banging banjo stuff music? This is music:

Well... As long as this thread is derailed already...

I F@ckin' LOVE Piazzolla! Got introduced to him through that Al D. World Sinfonia project and then had a bunch of buddies from Argentina hit me with some more of his work, so good!

You and me both, brother.

What, no deliverance jokes? I think I'll buy a banjo and learn how to play it just to piss people off. hahahaha

Ugh, that was horrible. The first thing I noticed was the mascara around her eyes then her off-key singing slapped me in the face.

Chicks dig banjo. Vintage banjo prices have declined in recent years. Where you used to not be able to easily find a vintage Gibson banjo in the vintage stores, you can find one readily now.

I don't know whether PRS will ever build a banjo. Kinda doubt it.
My dad has a very, very early Stelling Staghorn that he bought in 1975. It is either #3 or #5, I will have to check the next time I'm over to see him. I believe it is #3.
He tried to teach me several times over many years, but, man, it was waaay to difficult for me. Just couldn't do it. He gets that it isn't everyone's cup of tea and is real easy-going about it.
But, crap, the guy is 65 and still plays the snot out of it. I would never tell him, but I love going over when he has some of his bluegrass buddies over for a jam. Very impressive, whether you like the music or not, and I do.
Anywho, a different perspective.

Last edited:
I love me some bluegrass. Beats modern country any day of the week.

Back