A Performance First (not tragic)

jak3af3r

Jake
Last night I'm finished with an acoustic set and I overheard the venue's production manager get called to the door because someone wanted to see him.

My break ends and I'm walking to the stage and have a flashlight immediately in my face and hear "that's the guitar player." Well I'm beyond confused knowing I haven't done anything illegal. Maybe it's the new stagehands they were talking about...

Nope. I was introduced to two interpreters. And the rest of the night I had a person interpreting music to deaf people in the audience .

It was bizarre. It was new. And it was so entertaining, I don't think I've ever had so much fun on a stage.

I'll dig around and see if I can find some. I know I don't personally have any. If nothing else I'll try and find a similar video. Although some from my show would be cool because I had my McCarty.

Pretty cool! I saw something similar on the Robin Williams documentary that's showing on HBO now. He had an interpreter at one of his comedy shows. He didn't appear to know that was going to happen. Man, did he have some fun saying dirty stuff so he could watch the guy sign it.

I saw an interpreter at a Kevin Smith show several years ago. He had a genuine curiosity about what the signs for certain words were, and during the show, if he said something he hadn't before, he'd stop and snap his head to the left to see what she was doing. I saw the same woman do several shows around that time period.

Shortly after, I saw David Cross and noticed an interpreter about 20 minutes into the show. Turned out it was a fake and the guy was part of the show - his sign for Galileo was to pretend he was holding a telescope.

Back