A non-PRS NGD that prompted a PRS wish

RickP

Established 1960, Still Not Dead
As COVID has obliterated my band calendar since very early 2020, I partnered with one of the members to form a vocal trio with just our two guitars as instrumentation so that we could play at smaller outdoor gatherings that were still looking for entertainment. It’s been fairly successful, and has been surprisingly uplifting for me musically and vocally, as I don’t have a full band to cover so much ground. Kudos to players who’ve been doing this a while; it’s not as easy as it looks!

The situation prompted the need for a guitar that could do acoustic and electric convincingly, which reminded me of a Taylor T5 I played years back in 2007-08, but long gone. I have one, but learned they made a more electric-player-centric version called a T5z... smaller body, smaller radius neck (12 vs 15 on the regular T5), and larger frets for a more electric feel. So, a call to Sweetwater and a killer deal from my rep later...

eb6SCmC.jpg

It’s perfect. Sounds just like its big sibling, plays much more like a... PRS. This prompted the obvious wish for the future: PRS needs to make this. They’ve improved the Les Paul and the Strat designs, resulting in the 594 and SS taking those slots on my wall. I would LOVE to see Paul put his pencil to this sort of thing. And it will take PRSh to improve on this because Bob Taylor has an awesome concept, design, and execution here.

That’s my Christmas wish for 2021.

I have developed a thing for white guitars... one has turned into three. If I find another white hollowbody spruce, it’ll be four. ;)

As @BrianC noted, the electric piezo-equipped PRSi do a pretty good job. Whether fully hollowbody like the HB II, semi-hollow like a P245SH, or solidbody like the P24 / Custom 24 Piezo, you can get pretty convincing tones from them, especially mated to the right pedal like a Fishman Aura (if into a PA) or a BodyRez (seem best into an elec guitar amp, honestly).

As COVID has obliterated my band calendar since very early 2020, I partnered with one of the members to form a vocal trio with just our two guitars as instrumentation so that we could play at smaller outdoor gatherings that were still looking for entertainment. It’s been fairly successful, and has been surprisingly uplifting for me musically and vocally, as I don’t have a full band to cover so much ground. Kudos to players who’ve been doing this a while; it’s not as easy as it looks!

The situation prompted the need for a guitar that could do acoustic and electric convincingly, which reminded me of a Taylor T5 I played years back in 2007-08, but long gone. I have one, but learned they made a more electric-player-centric version called a T5z... smaller body, smaller radius neck (12 vs 15 on the regular T5), and larger frets for a more electric feel. So, a call to Sweetwater and a killer deal from my rep later...

eb6SCmC.jpg

It’s perfect. Sounds just like its big sibling, plays much more like a... PRS. This prompted the obvious wish for the future: PRS needs to make this. They’ve improved the Les Paul and the Strat designs, resulting in the 594 and SS taking those slots on my wall. I would LOVE to see Paul put his pencil to this sort of thing. And it will take PRSh to improve on this because Bob Taylor has an awesome concept, design, and execution here.

That’s my Christmas wish for 2021.

I agree with every word you said. I've wanted a T5z since they came out. IMO, as nice as they are, they need a true dual output setup, so you can send the acoustic sounds to an acoustic setup, and the electric sounds to an amp/modeler etc. set up for electric. Playability is there in spades. But I want a 3 way toggle that allows me to send to two separate optimized signal chains. Same reason I haven't bought one of the new SE hollow bodies.

If Paul did this, add a true acoustic setup, better pickups for electric, dual outputs... I'd be all in if priced similar to this.

I agree with every word you said. I've wanted a T5z since they came out. IMO, as nice as they are, they need a true dual output setup, so you can send the acoustic sounds to an acoustic setup, and the electric sounds to an amp/modeler etc. set up for electric. Playability is there in spades. But I want a 3 way toggle that allows me to send to two separate optimized signal chains. Same reason I haven't bought one of the new SE hollow bodies.

If Paul did this, add a true acoustic setup, better pickups for electric, dual outputs... I'd be all in if priced similar to this.
I have split the send with an ABY box and changed when moving to the body sensor, and it works but is “one more thing.” I also set up Axe FX patches the same way, but again, it’s move pickups with your hand, move amps with your foot. In actual use, it isn’t hard, but it is different.

Depending on volume, the body sensor still sounds good, even though a guitar amp. I love that it isn’t brittle like piezo pickups can be.

It’s not perfect, but it’s as close as I’ve personally played to a real “do it all” guitar if you just have to do it with one guitar. I like it a lot!

Back