A little trade advice please...

Jimmy76

Hi all,

Stupid question: I’ve recently been offered a trade of a 2004 PRS Custom 22 for my 2017 Les Paul Standard T (just haven’t been able to bond with the LP). Would this be considered a fair trade? I have 2 other LPs that I play a lot, just can’t connect with the Standard.

Thanks in advance

Also depends on the Cu22. Condition, originality, finish, 10-top, particular editions like Artist Packages, etc. all matters.

It’s not a 10 top or artist package. Has a minor ding on the headstock but otherwise in very good condition

It isn't about which one is worth more on the market. The question is which one would you rather have. If both of those guitars were hanging on the wall of GC today and you walked in and they were the same price (because that is the situation you are in right now), which one would you pick? You play both and you make a choice.

What's better to have - a guitar that maybe worth a bit more but lives in the case and you get no real enjoyment from playing it or a guitar that's worth a bit less but you can't put it down and love playing it?

Value is different to everyone and worth is too. If you don't think a Core PRS is worth 4x as much as the SE, that its not 4x the guitar for example, you don't buy a Core regardless. In this case though, you are not trading a US made guitar for a much cheaper import and, at the time or release, the Custom 22 would of cost more than the LP Standard. The difference here though is age and quite possibly, that could count against the PRS a bit more. On the other hand, the type of finish on the Custom 22 could of protected the guitar, make it look as good as new - albeit with a bet of minor wear here or there.

If it still has the case and all the candy inside, that will help bring the value up and could be much closer to the value of a 2017 LP Standard. Again though, what's most important - having a guitar you don't want to play or having a guitar you love??

Is this a fair trade? With 3 Les Pauls it looks like your really a Gibson player, I don’t know if you’ve ever owned a PRS but they are different. I would set a time when I could really play that PRS and evaluate it against one of your favorite Les Pauls, one that you’ve bonded with and if it stands up to it, then you have a winner, if not you’re just trading guitars and will soon tire of the PRS too, you’ll probably have to sell it for less than you have in the Les Paul. It’s totally your decision but it might be best just to sell the Les Paul outright. Also there’s a lot of used PRS on the market to take a pick from when you have money in your hand.

Resale value where I am is higher for a 15 year old PRS, than a 2 year old LP!

What others have said, try out the CU22, see if it floats your boat.

Its only worth the Trade if you are getting a guitar you can use and 'bond' with. Trading guitars, as long as its got all the case candy and case of course is unlikely to see you out of pocket because you would lose more by trading the LP in store and with the amount of LP's listed for sale, chances are you will not get a 'great' price.

I see a lot mentioning 'value' but having a guitar in your collection that you can't bond with and unlikely to play - especially as you have 2 others you are much more likely to use - has very little value to yourself. Its just 'dead money' so to speak. Of course it has some worth to someone else and they may be willing to pay (or in this case trade) but to you it has little value. If you like the Custom 22 and enjoy playing it, enjoy the tones you get, then that guitar has more value to you than your Les Paul.

As they say, everything has a price but because I love all my guitars, they have a LOT more value to me than their worth on the market. For example, if a used 2018 Custom 24 in mint condition is worth £2.5k and a new non 10-top one (like mine) costs £3.3k, I wouldn't sell mine for either of those prices - someone would have to offer a lot more to meet the 'value' that instrument has to me. If I didn't bond, the most its worth is £2.5k but a trade in a shop wouldn't give me that much against a guitar I did bond with and selling privately, there is a point that you will let it go for because people will try and offer what they think its worth (or under to try and get a bargain) but I doubt any would pay more than £2.5k. The reason for this paragraph was to illustrate the difference between Value and worth - at least how I see it.

Its clear that the value of your LP is at most, the worth - as in its used price - because it has no 'value' beyond worth to you. Its dead money because its tied up in in the guitar essentially and whether the Custom 22 is 'higher or lower' in worth, it could have a LOT more value to you if you actually bond with the instrument, The only time the deal should be considered in terms of worth is if you are trading one instrument you have no value to you personally for another. If you end up not bonding for example, then the 'worth' becomes more important.

I agree with those that said do the trade if you are not bonding with the Les Paul. Especially since you have two others you do love! But check reverb values. If the Les Pauls sell for more, do the trade still but try to get some money on top. Just because you don't bond with the LP Standard doesn't mean you have to give it away.

Back