A little over 24 hours in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineering IS a scientific field, but considered applied science. Meaning... other people figure the stuff out and engineers put it to use. There is a LOT of college course overlap between an engineering degree and one of the science degrees. Several semesters of calculus, chemistry, physics, etc. Basically, Bill Nye knows his stuff.

No doubt there. When I was at college studying civil engineering, the explanation about the idea that it was a non-scientific field of study was that even though you do need a well versed background of scientific comprehension, you arent really doing any sort of experimentation type activities or testing concepts, at least not in the sense of proving a hypothesis. As my instructor used to say "your'e pouring concrete kid no splittin' atoms". Frankly, if one wants to consider it a scientific field, I can see it and wouldn't argue it. I agree, Bill Nye knows how things work. If I recall correctly, he studied under Carl Sagan and worked for Boeing for a time. I don't like how people flippantly call him an "actor". By explaining science to children (myself included), he's done more for scientific progress than most.

Last edited:
Just fyi... stating that nothing Rand Paul has to say about Fauci is valid because he is not the right kind of doctor is also a fallacy. (Attacking someone's credentials instead of attacking what they have to say.) My wife, the high school English teacher with two master's degrees told me the name/category of fallacy that is called but I forgot.

With all respect, I never said Rand has no foundation from which to not criticize Fauci, but its difficult to take his comments seriously when he is commenting on virology without being versed in the subject. Doctorates are not equal across the board. I have a degree in mathematics, but I know jack squat about marine biology. All I know is they swim and taste funny.

I think the fallacy you are thinking of is Ad Hominem. However, I don't think I'm committing one there, I mean I didn't call Dr. Paul a poopyhead, or attack his credentials, I'm establishing that he is not an authority on the subject of viral outbreaks since he shoots lasers in peoples eyes. I could argue presenting him as DOCTOR Rand Paul is an appeal to authority fallacy. Lets put the fallacy measuring contest down for now. Like I said, I'm not deifying Fauci either. I think he miffed the mask guidelines a bit at first when it was pretty clear covid was getting out of hand. I am also not happy with explanations on vaccine effects on people with auto-immune diseases. Again, I get not alot of time for testing and studies, emergency use, yadda-yadda....but my own personal opinion/theory is people with auto-immune diseases may be at risk of prolonged side effects.

Let's forget the actor for a minute and let's pick on Al Gore for a minute instead. Dupont's patent on Freon 12 is about to expire and consumers will be able to buy generic equivalents for their home and automotive AC applications dirt cheap and Dupont won't be able to make a lot of money on it anymore. So Dupont pays off Senator Gore to get it declared "bad for the environment" via paid off scientists with their "scientific" papers, and then they get it made illegal so that everyone is forced to buy a different Dupont refrigerant gas so that Dupont can keep rolling in the big bucks. Not only did Al Gore NOT invent the Internet, he wasn't even the first one to leverage the ol' climate change scam for furthering a political agenda. The governments large and small have been using that scam for well over 100 years and all that man made climate change nonsense coming from "climate scientists" is the same junk science I'm talking about. Yes, the planet is getting hotter. All the planets are. The carbon tax is just another commie wealth distribution scheme pushed by the donkey jockeys.

Hoo boy....Al "I Invented the Internet" Gore. I get the criticisms of Gore, and the evil deeds of DuPont go even deeper than that. I do still feel like you are skirting my issue. I never brought up Gore, he's not a scientist, and I cannot find anything to support your claim. On me mum, I looked for an hour for articles to support what you said and came up empty-handed. In fact, I did learn that Freon 12 was banned in 1996 due to it damaging the ozone layer, a decade before Gore's film came out. So, then its a lie that Freon 12 canisters used a CFC as a propellant. Do you have something to support your claim? If so, I promise I will read it.

My main issue with what you posed is "climate change scam". That is where we are not going to agree at all. Also, what do you mean by "all planets are getting hotter"? I am familiar with research that says the moon and Mars, possibly Pluto are increasing in temperature, but there is no conclusion yet as to what may be causing this, though for Mars is suggested that its exiting an ice age. Further, there is research I have seen that suggest Uranus is cooling. Even if I were to grant the Sun is taking sterioids and warming everything else...umm, you do realize that's still bad for us? I mean, if Mars gets lit than no biggie except to the rocks, but we live on Earth. If Earth is warming, which it is, we are going to suffer. We are already seeing the effects. You are suggesting a global conspiracy by which the vast majority (literally 99%) of scientists agree we are exacerbating a global temperature shift, but thier opinions must be purchased and ignored. Umm.....I can't really get on board with that.

Just a little addendum. I do think there are causes for global warming we are not told. Methane emissions from livestock could be a major player. Yes Virgina, cows may be farting away the atmosphere, and if that's true its perfectly poetic. Mankind goes out with a fart.

Tell you what, as much as I like a good, civil discourse, I'm willing to put our differences to bed and agree to disagree. :)

Article about Martian Global Warming

Last edited:
With all respect, I never said Rand has no foundation from which to not criticize Fauci, but its difficult to take his comments seriously when he is commenting on virology without being versed in the subject. Doctorates are not equal across the board. I have a degree in mathematics, but I know jack squat about marine biology. All I know is they swim and taste funny.

I think the fallacy you are thinking of is Ad Hominem. However, I don't think I'm committing one there, I mean I didn't call Dr. Paul a poopyhead, or attack his credentials, I'm establishing that he is not an authority on the subject of viral outbreaks since he shoots lasers in peoples eyes. I could argue presenting him as DOCTOR Rand Paul is an appeal to authority fallacy. Lets put the fallacy measuring contest down for now. Like I said, I'm not deifying Fauci either. I think he miffed the mask guidelines a bit at first when it was pretty clear covid was getting out of hand. I am also not happy with explanations on vaccine effects on people with auto-immune diseases. Again, I get not alot of time for testing and studies, emergency use, yadda-yadda....but my own personal opinion/theory is people with auto-immune diseases may be at risk of prolonged side effects.

Hoo boy....Al "I Invented the Internet" Gore. I get the criticisms of Gore, and the evil deeds of DuPont go even deeper than that. I do still feel like you are skirting my issue. I never brought up Gore, he's not a scientist, and I cannot find anything to support your claim. On me mum, I looked for an hour for articles to support what you said and came up empty-handed. In fact, I did learn that Freon 12 was banned in 1996 due to it damaging the ozone layer, a decade before Gore's film came out. So, then its a lie that Freon 12 canisters used a CFC as a propellant. Do you have something to support your claim? If so, I promise I will read it.

My main issue with what you posed is "climate change scam". That is where we are not going to agree at all. Also, what do you mean by "all planets are getting hotter"? I am familiar with research that says the moon and Mars, possibly Pluto are increasing in temperature, but there is no conclusion yet as to what may be causing this, though for Mars is suggested that its exiting an ice age. Further, there is research I have seen that suggest Uranus is cooling. Even if I were to grant the Sun is taking sterioids and warming everything else...umm, you do realize that's still bad for us? I mean, if Mars gets lit than no biggie except to the rocks, but we live on Earth. If Earth is warming, which it is, we are going to suffer. We are already seeing the effects. You are suggesting a global conspiracy by which the vast majority (literally 99%) of scientists agree we are exacerbating a global temperature shift, but thier opinions must be purchased and ignored. Umm.....I can't really get on board with that.

Just a little addendum. I do think there are causes for global warming we are not told. Methane emissions from livestock could be a major player. Yes Virgina, cows may be farting away the atmosphere, and if that's true its perfectly poetic. Mankind goes out with a fart.

Tell you what, as much as I like a good, civil discourse, I'm willing to put our differences to bed and agree to disagree. :)

Article about Martian Global Warming
Oh no...Your'e a global warming, wait, ice age, wait, climate change nut. You think farting causes it. Ever drove across country and see all the empty space with green growth? That would offset any Co2 problem because you know why? PLANTS LOVE CO2!!!!!! AND THEY GIVE OFF OXYGEN!!!!! LEARNED THAT IN 3RD GRADE!!!

Wisdom of Clashcityrocker - I think Paul Craig Roberts pretty much sums it all up.

Not to be doing an ad hominem, but I wouldnt use Paul Craig Roberts to bolster a position if I were you.

"No German plans, or orders from Hitler, or from Himmler or anyone else have ever been found for an organized holocaust by gas and cremation of Jews... The "death camps" were in fact work camps. Auschwitz, for example, today a Holocaust museum, was the site of Germany's essential artificial rubber factory. Germany was desperate for a work force." -Paul Craig Roberts writing in support of Holocaust denier David Irving

Wisdom of Clashcityrocker - I think Paul Craig Roberts pretty much sums it all up.

Not to be doing an ad hominem, but I wouldnt use Paul Craig Roberts to bolster a position if I were you.

"No German plans, or orders from Hitler, or from Himmler or anyone else have ever been found for an organized holocaust by gas and cremation of Jews... The "death camps" were in fact work camps. Auschwitz, for example, today a Holocaust museum, was the site of Germany's essential artificial rubber factory. Germany was desperate for a work force." -Paul Craig Roberts writing in support of Holocaust denier David Irving
I believe he also wrote in support of some 9/11 Truthers.

Oh dear, more Wisdom of Baycityroller - Ever drove across country and see all the empty space with green growth? That would offset any Co2 problem because you know why? PLANTS LOVE CO2!!!!!! AND THEY GIVE OFF OXYGEN!!!!! LEARNED THAT IN 3RD GRADE!!!

Im not convinced you graduated 3rd grade. Plants do absorb co2 and release oxygen, but they can only do it so quickly. The planet's rainforests are suffering from massive deforestation and every day more trees are being cut down without being replaced. There is a threshold where the population of the planet and the amount of resources we use will outweigh the planets ability to replenish those resources and offset our ecological impact. We may have already crossed it.

One more CCR quote - "You think farting causes it"

What? Thats too unreasonable for you? Oh, but magnets in a vaccine is perfectly sane. Fake moon landing, sure! Sun the size of a Ford Pinto, oh hell yes. This calls for that Drake meme.
climate-change-is-real-the-squirrel-from-ice-age-is-melting-the-ice-caps-to-get-the-acorn.jpg

Last edited:
Me too!
My magnets are ready.:D

Idea! Take one of your cheaper guitars, not PRS, just in case... see if the pickups stick to you strongly enough to support the weight of the guitar. Post pics, videos, etc to show how magnetic you are. THAT would be impressive!

. We’ve done our best to save the stupid from themselves for generations, and it may finally be catching up with us. What’s the point of working to haul such dead weight along?

You ain't wrong. Perhaps we can set up a colony for these lovelies in the Dunnng-Krueger Archipelago.

I'm sort of a pessimist in the sense the sense that if we dont fix the issue of disinformation in work to enrich the overall mental fortitude and intelligence of the public, we really don't have a future to worth looking forward to. When I was young in the mid 90's, I remember learning about greenhouse effects on the Great Barrier Reef, how tiny changes in the temperature of the sea can obliterate life there. At that time, it was beginning to die and researchers were sounding the alarm, but it seems nobody really paid attention or brushed it off as hokum. Since 1985, about half of the coral has died. A 500 mile stretch died in 2016. These wonders may be mere memories in the future, and that would be sad.

Oh dear, more Wisdom of Baycityroller - Ever drove across country and see all the empty space with green growth? That would offset any Co2 problem because you know why? PLANTS LOVE CO2!!!!!! AND THEY GIVE OFF OXYGEN!!!!! LEARNED THAT IN 3RD GRADE!!!

Im not convinced you graduated 3rd grade. Plants do absorb co2 and release oxygen, but they can only do it so quickly. The planet's rainforests are suffering from massive deforestation and every day more trees are being cut down without being replaced. There is a threshold where the population of the planet and the amount of resources we use will outweigh the planets ability to replenish those resources and offset our ecological impact. We may have already crossed it.

One more CCR quote - "You think farting causes it"

What? Thats too unreasonable for you? Oh, but magnets in a vaccine is perfectly sane. Fake moon landing, sure! Sun the size of a Ford Pinto, oh hell yes. This calls for that Drake meme.
climate-change-is-real-the-squirrel-from-ice-age-is-melting-the-ice-caps-to-get-the-acorn.jpg
We need more cows farting. It will drown out your green anti human agenda.

Scientists can be bought as much as any other profession, but most choose to be paid to work on a subject of interest to them.

All of the research done by my team was funded by our owners in the hope that it would lead to something rewarding. Any government funding was after the fact. I would report on the problem we tried to solve, how we went about it, and what the results were. If they agreed with the merits of the effort, they might award us a tax credit for a portion of our actual costs. This hardly constitutes being bought.

Occasionally, we would share work in progress with another company and come up with a joint venture. Generally this meant external financial support for our efforts and sometimes a loan of some expertise that could expedite our efforts. Again, this is hardly being bought.

Idea! Take one of your cheaper guitars, not PRS, just in case... see if the pickups stick to you strongly enough to support the weight of the guitar. Post pics, videos, etc to show how magnetic you are. THAT would be impressive!
Nah. Wouldn’t do it to guitar because IT AIN’T GONNA STICK.:p:D

I don't know... I was just thinking that in the world of "anything is possible on the internet" you could become a big star and have legions of fans, like... well, you know who.

Scientists can be bought as much as any other profession, but most choose to be paid to work on a subject of interest to them.

All of the research done by my team was funded by our owners in the hope that it would lead to something rewarding. Any government funding was after the fact. I would report on the problem we tried to solve, how we went about it, and what the results were. If they agreed with the merits of the effort, they might award us a tax credit for a portion of our actual costs. This hardly constitutes being bought.

Occasionally, we would share work in progress with another company and come up with a joint venture. Generally this meant external financial support for our efforts and sometimes a loan of some expertise that could expedite our efforts. Again, this is hardly being bought.

BUT WHY DON'T SCIENTISTS WORK FOR FREE SO THEY CAN BE COMPLETELY UNCORRUPTABLE

I've got it! And you aren't stealing this, it's MY idea! So, I loves my Yeti stuff. I'd love to have a "Yeti Sponsorship" and get some free Yeti stuff!

I'm going to stick one of my Yeti tumblers or water bottles to my arm, and claim I just got the vaccine and this proves it's magnetic. If this goes as planned, I could be as "famous" as the "Cash me outside" girl!

I've got it! And you aren't stealing this, it's MY idea! So, I loves my Yeti stuff. I'd love to have a "Yeti Sponsorship" and get some free Yeti stuff!

I'm going to stick one of my Yeti tumblers or water bottles to my arm, and claim I just got the vaccine and this proves it's magnetic. If this goes as planned, I could be as "famous" as the "Cash me outside" girl!
Pure genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back