A little over 24 hours in

Status
Not open for further replies.
nQTqERd.jpg

The thing I like about this thread is seeing freedom of speech in practice without people getting banned from the site as a result of talking about stuff they aren't supposed to be talking about just because of some stupid rule. I love free speech. As long as it is honest, I'm good. Not every conversation is going to be pleasant. That's fine, as long as it is honest. The first amendment in the United States is to protect unpopular speech. Popular speech doesn't need protecting. Arguments are not a problem and I believe people should quit avoiding conversations about religion and politics. I don't think we talk about these things often enough: we should talk about these things more often. So what if a guy believes that (fill in the blank")? If a friend of mine believes that (fill in the blank), well, I'd kinda like to know that about my friend. Censoring people is never going to bring about a utopian society, and if it did, no one would ever want to live there.

Who is John Galt?

The thing I like about this thread is seeing freedom of speech in practice without people getting banned from the site as a result of talking about stuff they aren't supposed to be talking about just because of some stupid rule. I love free speech. As long as it is honest, I'm good. Not every conversation is going to be pleasant. That's fine, as long as it is honest. The first amendment in the United States is to protect unpopular speech. Popular speech doesn't need protecting. Arguments are not a problem and I believe people should quit avoiding conversations about religion and politics. I don't think we talk about these things often enough: we should talk about these things more often. So what if a guy believes that (fill in the blank")? If a friend of mine believes that (fill in the blank), well, I'd kinda like to know that about my friend. Censoring people is never going to bring about a utopian society, and if it did, no one would ever want to live there.

Who is John Galt?
Yep, I agree. Great post.

Who is John Galt?
I thought this post was kinda flat, and also agree!

Who is John Galt?
Yes, but it's also because we haven't been stupid about it. To be civil when others disagree is not something one sees often on the internet. It's a tribute to the kind of people who are on here.

And John Galt was/is fictitious. Interesting story though.

ROFL...this is like the umpteenth time Ive heard this.

Seriously though, I actually agree with your picture. A continent sized airplane would absolutely need to dip its nose.
Even if it were flying sideways like the one in that picture? :D

Yes, but it's also because we haven't been stupid about it. To be civil when others disagree is not something one sees often on the internet. It's a tribute to the kind of people who are on here.
Given that (to my knowledge) we currently have no real moderation (I "think" Shawn is gone but have no idea what the official date was), you have no idea just how true this statement is.

I've mentioned this before, but the previous forum in which I spent most of my time, we had a get-together once, and 20 guys from all over the country spent the whole weekend jamming and socializing. People who had known each other online for a few years met in person. The after effects of that were what appeared at the time to have been the development of lifelong friendships. Guys so happy to meet in person they were hugging each other when they met, spent a whole weekend of bonding and became so close that it was very common in the threads to here guys mentioning regular (weekly or more!) phone calls to each other, etc. Guys even having other forum members to stay in their homes for a few days, a couple even vacationed together.... sounds a lot like some people here.

Within 3 years after that event, the forum had only 5-6 active participants. The constant bashing and insulting of peoples political and religious beliefs had completely destroyed a "group of friends." Many people hung on for months and even a couple years, TRYING to talk about gear/music/guitars/amps/pedals, etc. But it's hard to talk to a guy about amps then bounce into the politics and religion threads (yes, they had them) and see that guy basically calling you a moron because you believe something he doesn't. Constantly insulting people and making comments more and more personal. It started out mild, and within 2 years got VERY bad.

The end result is that there are very few members of the forum who even speak to each other, and most of the ones who do are only very casual friends now. I still talk to a couple of them a few times a year but as an example, I sent several messages to one guy that I got along great with, over a couple year period and got no replies at all. When I sent him a happy birthday notice on Linked In one year and said that I just wanted to keep the streak alive, he apologized and said he got so sick of that whole thing he literally blocked emails from every member of the forum, even the ones he liked, just so he could put the whole thing behind him.

If this conversation happened there, and near the end, it would have had people offering to fly 1000 miles to meet the person and daring them to say in person what they just said online. It really got that bad. It IS a testament to the people here that this thread, and several others, have not become bashfests. Big Mike is a member here. For years he was a mod at the biggest musicians forum on the webs. You can ask him. There is a reason people don't allow politics and religion discussions in forums, and that forum I mentioned above is a perfect example of the results. Whatever this thread is, would also fall in that category, of one that would be shut down quickly in most forums, but has actually remained relatively civil in this one. We all deserve a pat on the back for that.

And on that note, I finally have something of real value to add to the thread. This constant spinning of the globe at almost 1000 mph finally explains why I've been dizzy for the last 60 years. All this time, I thought it was the drugs. :confused:o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if he said it, and with that photo evidence, it must be true. Dudes a total expert on continent sized aircraft.
I wonder wonder how the (giant) passengers felt. Every time I've flown, the wings were mostly parallel to the ground. It does make you wonder though... How do people who live close to the equator stand straight up? Since they would be at a 90 degree angle from north/south poles, it seems like they'd fall over. Maybe that just have what you call, their "mama's good looks and their daddies sense of balance."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder wonder how the (giant) passengers felt. Every time I've flown, the wings were mostly parallel to the ground. It does make you wonder though... How do people who live close to the equator stand straight up? Since they would be at a 90 degree angle from north/south poles, it seems like they'd fall over. Maybe that just have what you call, their "mama's good looks and their daddies sense of balance."
That reminds me, did you know Australians don't google stuff? Yeah, they use Elgoog. Its true, saw it on the Facebook, so its true homes.

https://www.elgoog.info/

Well, it makes sense, for them. ;) :D
Aussies are like that I guess, being all upside down. I remember I had a legit debate with a flat earther who told me if the world was a globe, when Australians do video chats they would be upside down, like the video would be upside down.

Bwahahahahahahaha!
That's what I said!

Another nugget of wisdom was a little debate about gravity I had. So, of course this flattie doesnt believe in it, thinks objects fall due to density. I asked him why then does an object that is denser than air above, and to its sides, end up falling downwards. He said, and I quote..."because the flat earth is moving up through the waters surrounding the firmament dome, so objects dont fall, the earth catches them".

You see why I'm a bitter pill about these oxygen thieves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back