a little observation?

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello everyone
I hope you enjoyed the Christmas holiday, I know I did :) with a little help from my newly acquired Ted DC 245

I'm dazed and confused, first let me say this is not my first experience with the 57/08's I had them in my first CU22 since they came out in 2008, then in my CU22 2013 with a 5 way blade switch, they sounded great in both and the split sounds were lower in volume as expected, but I found that the sounds are much lower on the Ted to the point I have to use a boost pedal with the clean sounds to balance the output with the HB sounds, Is that normal?

The other thing is that the neck "WF" feels more comfortable than the neck on my 513's IRW "regular pattern" which makes me a bit sad to put it aside now :(.

the Ted is lighter than the 513 (7.5 - 7.8) and it makes a difference, It resonate and sustains beautifully but the 513 is no slouch either in this department.

Maybe it's the honeymoon phase but this Model is really something else both in looks and tone, no wonder MA Pete had so many of them, I'm a trem guy but I'm getting used to the wrap bridge quickly and I can only imagine how wonderful would be playing the 594 one day :cool:

Hello George
I felt very comfortable with the regular pattern to the point that I specced my 513 AP with it, but the neck on the Ted felt tighter on the shoulders which wasn't the case with my first CU22 "WF" .

As far as you know I bought my 513 MT blind, but first minutes sliding up and down the neck it was like walking in your best suiting shoes, you wear already for several years.
My custom made guitar was ordered with a WF neck. A customer came to him with his three McCartys. All with WF. The customer stated that only one McCarty had a profile which suited best to him. Therefore my luthier measured all necks and tranfered the figures of the ONE to the others by sanding here and there. My custom made guitar got that certain profile aswell. But with 12" radius, not with 10".
My SE Holcomb has got WT and 20" radius.
I like all three necks. The benefit of the SE is the easier fretboard access at the higher frets.

Hey there, congrats!

I found the 5708's "weak" in the Ted's as well. Not sure if was those vintage of 5708's, or what. Eric at Willcutt Guitars later did the Willcutt runs of Ted's with 5909 Bridge and 5708 Neck, he felt the same way, and that was MUCH better IMO.

I also had 5815's in my last Ted, those were great too.

5909 and 5815 PRS pickups (other than uncovered 5909's, which I don't think sound quite as good as the covered ones) are tough to come by, I have been using third party pickups in my 594's for higher output PAF's, with great results. Something in the 8.5K to 9.0K range in the bridge is about right for my tastes.

I actually scored a couple of sets of 5815's this week, from two different sources, can't wait to try them in a 594! ;)

Hey Pete, the problem I'm facing is only when I split the pickups, there is a big drop in volume
bigger than I was used too with previous 57/08's.

Hey Pete, the problem I'm facing is only when I split the pickups, there is a big drop in volume
bigger than I was used too with previous 57/08's.

Okay, thanks for clarifying!

I did have the same challenge with my 5708 and 5909 equipped DC 245 Ted's across the board, too much of a volume drop when split. My last one with 5815's wasn't as significant, from what I remember.

That's one of the things I really liked about the 408's, no volume drop. My DC 245 408 PS was awesome in that regard, and was my primary gigging guitar for a couple of years because of it. It is coincidentally for sale now on Reverb.

Hmmm, maybe I need to do a 408 594?... ;)

On my newest guitar I used 408/BM switching on 59/09 pickups and the volume drop is minimal ( Hmm )
I am also a big fan of 408 pickups

Back