A little help…. Should I?

Mr.Blooze92

Hey everyone,

In July I got my first Core PRS Custom 24, a 1992 model. The story behind getting it was pretty epic but I have a problem…. It has been the primary guitar I have played since July. Something was happening with my playing where I became very sloppy and I felt like I was losing my luster. I have been down on my playing since I have always been a precise player. I played a Les Paul for the first time in a long time the other day. I played PERFECTLY. I then discovered that resting my hand on the bridge is what I naturally do on a two piece bridge or wrap around. I have been subconsciously raising my right hand in a strange way to avoid touching the tremolo and changing the pitch while playing. I have big hands, so in avoiding the tremolo I was getting close to the volume control too. I was dodging both while playing. I just can’t seem to get comfortable on the Custom 24 due to the tremolo. I thought about blocking off the tremolo but I don’t really want to as the setup is perfect.

I have the opportunity to trade the Custom 24 for a 2000 McCarty. I know that I will play much better on it, but the history of how I got the Custom 24 is stopping me from fully feeling one hundred percent about letting it go. If I can’t feel comfortable on it though, why have it?

What sayith you fine folks? Go for practicality or save it for sentimental reasons and not play it much?

Thanks!
-Nick

Well I'll answer the question and then I'll say something that will make my answer meaningless.

Answer: If you feel the need to play better, and you will play better with the McCarty, just do it.

Now the other thing. I rest my hand on the tremolo all the time and it doesn't go out of tune. I don't know how you would palm mute if you are not touching the strings. If you mean touching the trem arm, just remove it.

Well I'll answer the question and then I'll say something that will make my answer meaningless.

Answer: If you feel the need to play better, and you will play better with the McCarty, just do it.

Now the other thing. I rest my hand on the tremolo all the time and it doesn't go out of tune. I don't know how you would palm mute if you are not touching the strings. If you mean touching the trem arm, just remove it.
No, not the trem arm lol. The tremolo on my Custom 24 is just very, very touchy. The slightest touch causes the notes to go sharp. Maybe I should just make a video to demonstrate.

No, not the trem arm lol. The tremolo on my Custom 24 is just very, very touchy. The slightest touch causes the notes to go sharp. Maybe I should just make a video to demonstrate.
Going sharp means you are pushing on the back of the trem. Try centering your hand in the middle of the trem and see if it stops going sharp.

You can put a wood block on the inside of the cavity only, so the vibrato only goes down. Then you can rest your hand on the bridge without it going sharp. Bonus: it will have a little more bottom end and will even bend easier.

Hmm so you say the tremolo is very touchy. Have you looked at the back of the trem cavity to see how many springs are installed. I believe four is the norm. If there’s less say three that may make your term touchy. So check that and add as needed. Also you could add a fifth spring and you would have to reset/ re-adjust the claw. This way it will tighten up the term tension but properly set up it still can be used for those cool shimmers. What gauge strings are on this guitar? Btw I have six CU24’s and have never exp that issue. I do rest my hand on the term but some of it is on the guitar body. The fix may also be as simple as a proper set-up.
As far as the CU24 leaving the stable my .02 is to keep it get a stop tail PRS and as your playing gets more to your liking revisit the CU24. Good luck you’ll have lots of support here.

I'd suggest two things.

1.) Block the trem. It's reversible like mentioned above and it shouldn't do anything about how the guitar is set up currently assuming the block is cut to the correct thickness.

2.) Re-evaluate your technique. There are two different schools of thought here. The classical technique where your anchor to the guitar is your forearm and one where you anchor to the body with some part of your hand.

The classical approach has two main advantages. Firstly, and most importantly, it alleviates unnecessary stress and muscle tension in your wrist, hand, and depending on how hard you're pushing, back of the forearm, and shoulder. This allows more freedom and economy of motion and will help with stamina. Secondly, you have the option of where to pick the string for different tonality.

The other way keeps your hand in a reasonably consistent position at the expense of tension and restricted mobility with the advantage of being able to palm mute quickly.

I am a heavy handed, generally fixed bridge, player so I can relate a bit to your question. I had similar concerns when I was on the hunt for a Tremonti, effectively limiting my search to fixed bridge options. My GAS got the best of me and I pulled the trigger on a Tremonti with tremelo. Initially, I was going to block the Trem but I wanted to play it for a bit before making any modifications. In practice, I find the tremelo to be incredibly stable. The guitar lives in Drop C (11 - 52's) and I never have the bar installed. There is a ton of palm muting and just heavy banging on the guitar. My natural hand position is resting on the bridge. Through all of that, the guitar stays in tune perfectly. All of that is to say, as others suggested a slight change in the hand position (mid/front of the bridge) could fix the problem if you are hesitant to block the Trem. I have not had a need to block (or even adjust) mine.

I will also pile on to the opinion of adding a McCarty (or 3!) to your collection. They are amazing guitars.

I blocked the trem in my Paul’s guitar because I love it so much I don’t want to swap guitars when moving between drop D and standard tuning.

Can definitely relate to what you’re experiencing. As others have recommended, I’d say block the trem. No need to touch the setup.

Also, two guitars > one guitar. Just saying…

I've blocked a couple trem guitars and was happy with the results. If you really want to keep the Custom I'd suggest, as others have, blocking the trem. Easy, cheap and reversable.

Well, there js always the option of blocking the trem and evaluate if this suits you. Your very definition of a no regret option; not invasive and is very cheap. If not, you can still decide to exchange it. Or not.

Back