A little EXP2020 MEV high pitch squeal at higher gains and volumes...

Glide-bpm

We were small but we were slow...
Guess I get to grab the crock pot and the parafen wax and play temperature gun boy for a little wax potting. Yay.

Anyone else pot the pups on their MEV?

I’m a “5 second” fan. Enough wax to hold the outer windings together for a lifetime, but leaves the innards groovin’ to the music. It just depends on you musical style and how loud you play it.

Honestly, I didn’t know the pups on the MEV were unpotted.

Guess I get to grab the crock pot and the parafen wax and play temperature gun boy for a little wax potting. Yay.

Anyone else pot the pups on their MEV?
I’m a “5 second” fan. Enough wax to hold the outer windings together for a lifetime, but leaves the innards groovin’ to the music. It just depends on you musical style and how loud you play it.

Honestly, I didn’t know the pups on the MEV were unpotted.

Not sure since I haven't pulled them yet, but the bridge squeals pretty bad on high volume with medium to high gain.

Yeah, I don't like to drown mine very long either. Usually the outer windings quick dip fixes most misbehaving ones.

It was definitely potted (bridge pickup). It's a lot to do with the Axe FX III and closer proximity.
I get it to a lesser degree with other guitars, but that guitar has plenty of bright snap to it.

It's between 2000 and 2300 Hz and of course even muting strings near the bridge pickup or hitting
it and stuff like that can set it off.

I need to crank it in the Triamp Mark III and see how it does, but I think the JBL EON615's I use for live
monitoring and the one I keep in the studio to build/test presets at ultra loud volumes may be more or about
as finicky as my FRFR powered speakers with those horns... LoL!

I did put some foam from a Seymour Duncan pickup case under the pickup and did some stuff with the springs
for more tension. It knocked some of the external to the pickup mechanical culprits out. I played with some
thin notched PEQ in the Axe FX III, but I lose some of the liveliness of the two higher gain scenes that bring out
the worst in potential for squeals in all guitars. LoL! I have a feeling that with the foam, the Triamp Mark 3
will be fine if I'm not facing it while playing at face melting volumes.

I'll probably set the sidefill monitor on my side a little further away or turn it away a little more.
There's always lugging a small FRFR and setting it tilted behind me to aid with the classic digital
modeler monitor problems if they have horns or if using a PA cab or floor monitor.

Back