A Hollow Victory?

So...what's in the box?

(All I see is one close-up photo of an opened box, so if there is more, my apologies...)

4UFbXXK.jpg

(Good to see you again!)

MV5BYTJjM2I0ZTgtYTMxYS00ZDY1LWI4YTItNGUxMDlmZDNiMzhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTg3MTIxOTk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

(Sorry, had to. The previous post triggered my memory. My bandmate did one of the songs for this short, which won the 2018 San Diego 48 Hour Film Project, and the core crew came to Orlando early last year, where we live, for the World Finals.)

Acclamating...lol

Question...are all SE truss rod covers now the same size as core / S2 models now...or just this one?

I'm not gonna lie, it's been three friggin years and apparently I am too dumb and old to figure out how to post a pic from Google photos so it pops up instead of just showing a link...

FYI SE locking tuners inbound...

So initial impressions are those of sincere...impressedness...

Waiting for the ceremonial string change until I get the locking tuners. But obvs if I'm forking over coin for tuners it's a good sign.

BUILD: if this example is indicative of the lot, just cease and desist all future conversations fretting over where these are made. Seriously.

Front and back are some really nice slices of figured hog. Good ebony on the board and a nicely-figured headstock overlay. Binding is perfect. Inside the F-hole looks as clean as anything I've seen...will try to get a pic. Nut ends are smooth.

UNPLUGGED: quite loud and vibratey. Nice chime and overtones during decay. Need to raise the action a bit so I can dig in a bit. But very good volume and sustain out of the box.

PLUGGED: two ears up. The decay harmomics translate to the amplified sound which is something that really makes or breaks a guitar for me. There is an alive-ness to the amplified sound that I frankly thought that many SEs and S2s I've owned previously have lacked. Nice bite and clarity. Compares favorably to my 594. A little less "hollow" than I expected but a good amount of air. Still need to do a string change and setup. Pots feel good and taper is sonically useful...volume retains high end when turned down.

So a solid hollow victory on first pass...additional impessions and photos in a few days.

Back