A Great Combo (Pun Intended)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madhermit, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Yeah, I have to give a rats @ss on what my amps weigh because I can’t risk crushing more nerves in my spine in order to get the right tones.

Fortunately, I make my living making sure peoples lights come on when they flick the light switch. Totally unrelated to my guitars and amps so there’s no reason for me to risk further nerve damage due to needing an 85 lb Twin Reverb. I’m content with music being a fun thing.

But yes, if music was how I made my living or helped me make my living then that would change my entire perspective. At the moment, I don’t have that itch. Not at all.

bodia and RickP like this.
  2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Your wish is my command -

[​IMG]

I must admit this combo makes some brilliant tones. The amp is open back and the extension cab, closed back.

Yes I’d love a Mesa extension cab, but most people want nearly the used value of my amp for one! And I’d rather remain married!!:oops:

Maybe go with the amp you want and a decent flight case on wheels Just saying!

Or a roadie!;)

dogrocketp, bodia, madhermit and 4 others like this.
  3. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I want a roadie...

But not a crazy one.

dogrocketp and RickP like this.
  4. Alnus Rubra

Maybe one that looks like Swayze’s character from Roadhouse?!;)

RickP and Casi1 like this.
  5. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

How did you know that?

He needs to love wearing a size smedium Black t-shirt too. Just like Swayze.

bodia and RickP like this.
  6. Alnus Rubra

Hey I know my lady eye candy!;)

bodia, RickP and Casi1 like this.
  7. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

So.... where do they sell roadies like Swayze in the black t-shirt? Can his name be Dalton? Cause that’s a requirement.

#67 Casi1, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Unfortunately I am more the Wade Garrett type... a lot of miles. Lol

9. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I even messed up the Swayze characters name! Was Wade Sam Elliot?

10. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

They were both hot.

Lots of hotness in that movie.

Except for the sleazy guy with the flannel shirt. He wasn’t hot.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  11. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Yeah, I suppose being more Sam Elliott isn’t actually slumming. :cool: I’m calling that a win.

12. Alnus Rubra

Wish I could play like Jeff Healey!

RickP likes this.
  13. madhermit

madhermit New Member

Simpler circuit = more gooder.

That’s been my experience for sure.

Made a few hundred records in my days too as an engineer. The technology and quality available now for peanuts is why I changed industries. The kiddos don’t get how good they got it.

14. xarkon

xarkon New Member

I have a Mk IV. (Well, a “couple” of them.) Compact combos, so similar size.

At 2 on the MV, they sound boxy.

At 8, not so much. :eek:

dogrocketp, Casi1 and madhermit like this.
  15. Egads

Egads Happy

Here's another vote for a lightweight twin-type amp or! Doug, are you watching the forums?

I've had both the Lonestar and Lonestar Special at the same time. When my father passed away, I inherited his LSS with a 2x10 and a 1x12, both wide bodies. My Lonestar is 1x12 wide body. I don't gig the Lonestar anymore...because it weighs 84lbs. I DO love the tone and completely agree about the big iron making a difference.

I did a really in-depth comparison when I had them both. Honestly, I wanted to like the LSS more, since it was smaller and lighter, was a custom order tolex, and it was my dad's. I ran them both through every cab I own, used every guitar I own, and tried to dial them as similarly as possible over a variety of tones. There was an edge of break-up tone I could dial in on the LSS clean channel that I really liked over anything similar on the LS, but everything else sounded better on the LS. I traded the LSS and 1x12, but kept the 2x10, so I can reminisce over my dad's tones. EL84s and smaller transformers are NOT 6L6s and big iron.

Les, put down the martini(s), and keep working on the lightweight cab concept. Keep in mind it's got to fit a budget, too. 2x12 for $1000 of super high tech would be reasonable. If you can get it light enough, I can still stuff a couple EVM-12Ls in there. :)

dogrocketp, Casi1 and RickP like this.
  16. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I like you. Welcome to the ‘looking for the Twin Reverb sound in a lightweight and less than core PRS guitar price range’ team. We are happy to have you. Your t-shirt will be arriving in the mail soon.

Maybe next year there will be a PRS amp that aligns with our request? o_O

I mean... this would be innovative, there’s nothing like it in existence, it would be a new take on an old concept, one could easily compare it to the ‘gold standard’ to determine success. If they do it right, it would shake up the world.

A girl can hope.

Egads and Alnus Rubra like this.
  17. madhermit

madhermit New Member

I wonder what a carbon fibre cab would sound like? I wonder if they can use it for an amp chassis too?

Casi1 likes this.
  18. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Me too. I’m gonna ask, lol.

I ran into a local famous amp maker over the weekend and he said he could build exactly what I want... but it ain’t gonna be cheap.

Another odd thing is that I realized that what I love about the Twin Reverb is it’s clarity at the bottom end of its wide/tall headroom. The beautiful one that I played over the weekend had its volume set lower than 3 and it was glorious. It didn’t thin out or sound wimpy at low volumes.

veinbuster, RickP and Alnus Rubra like this.
  19. Egads

Egads Happy

Heat dissipation would be a concern, but if Matchless can do a plexiglass Avalon...

RickP likes this.
  20. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Social distancing be like ^

I put you on the right trail. Just wanted to add this. If you really want a “twin” ... two speakers, get a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 extension cab, both pine. I know it’s more “stuff” to carry, but it’s way easier than carrying a 2x12 anything. Heck, you might even consider a head and a 2x12 pine cab. My PRS 2x12 cab is shockingly light for a 2x12. Without looking them both up, I’d guess it’s 20 lbs lighter than my Zbest (which is the older heavier version before Mike realized how many people loved the cabs but said they were too heavy).

I’ll also add: TRY Neo’s before you buy them. Some people say that all NEO models seem to have “a sound” and that it’s not as good as the ceramics. Now... alnicos is a whole nother story. They have “a sound” too, but for clean to mild gain stuff it can be better than ceramic.

Casi1 and bodia like this.