A Great Combo (Pun Intended)

madhermit

I just picked this little Mesa combo up. What a killer little grab-and-go amp. Same size as a Pro Junior and only 2lbs more (24lbs total). This little combo combined with my 594 is sweet!

XQeFAkH.jpg

I just picked this little Mesa combo up. What a killer little grab-and-go amp. Same size as a Pro Junior and only 2lbs more (24lbs total). This little combo combined with my 594 is sweet!

XQeFAkH.jpg

Oooh... I was just thinking about one of those!

Right now, my choice is between that Mesa combo and a Quilter 202 head+speaker. I can’t decide. I can’t lift anything over 25 lbs anymore but I don’t want to sacrifice quality for that limitation.

Does the Mesa combo ever sound ‘boxy’ to you?

Right now, my choice is between that Mesa combo and a Quilter 202 head+speaker. I can’t decide. I can’t lift anything over 25 lbs anymore but I don’t want to sacrifice quality for that limitation.

Here is a review I posted elsewhere...

What a cool little amp. I recently had a Pro Junior IV tweed and really enjoyed its compact size and lightweight. I sold it off and got a brownie deluxe clone, but I always missed the miniature size of the Junior.

Enter the MesaBoogie Mark Five:25 1x10 combo. I don’t know how this got by my radar, but it landed in Canada right when I became aware of it. It is basically the same size as the PJr, and only 2 pounds heavier, and it is a far superior amp IMO. Way more $$$ though, so I am not saying they are direct competitors. But as a small grab and go, what a great combo! Only 24 lbs!

If one reads the myriad threads about the little 25 head, that will tell you most of what this amp can do. Tons of tones, tons of expression. The little Creamback speaker sounds really good too.

As for boxiness. Yes. This amp can be really boxy, but with the power of the TMBP eq, then the 5 band eq on top of that, you can really dial in some size-defying tones. It will never compare to a bigger cab, but for a tiny amp, this thing has no equal I have come across.

It reminds me of the Bose Soundlink Mini. A small metal Bluetooth speaker that sounds absolutely huge.

Needless to say, I am a very happy camper.

Here is a review I posted elsewhere...

What a cool little amp. I recently had a Pro Junior IV tweed and really enjoyed its compact size and lightweight. I sold it off and got a brownie deluxe clone, but I always missed the miniature size of the Junior.

Enter the MesaBoogie Mark Five:25 1x10 combo. I don’t know how this got by my radar, but it landed in Canada right when I became aware of it. It is basically the same size as the PJr, and only 2 pounds heavier, and it is a far superior amp IMO. Way more $$$ though, so I am not saying they are direct competitors. But as a small grab and go, what a great combo! Only 24 lbs!

If one reads the myriad threads about the little 25 head, that will tell you most of what this amp can do. Tons of tones, tons of expression. The little Creamback speaker sounds really good too.

As for boxiness. Yes. This amp can be really boxy, but with the power of the TMBP eq, then the 5 band eq on top of that, you can really dial in some size-defying tones. It will never compare to a bigger cab, but for a tiny amp, this thing has no equal I have come across.

It reminds me of the Bose Soundlink Mini. A small metal Bluetooth speaker that sounds absolutely huge.

Needless to say, I am a very happy camper.

Thanks!

I'm considering going head and cabinet route with the Mesa.

You can get killer sounding 1x12 pine cabs that weight nothing, and take two trips to move things around. Slower and more annoying, but clearly safer.

I'm considering going head and cabinet route with the Mesa.

You can get killer sounding 1x12 pine cabs that weight nothing, and take two trips to move things around. Slower and more annoying, but clearly safer.

If you get the cab made deep enough, maybe the head can snug inside it? Or mount it like an Ampeg flip top? I have said light pine 1x12, so I could still take the combo and plop it on top for extra coverage.

The head is so small, it could fit in a backpack with cables and mics and stuff.

It just may be my last gigging amp.

Your last gigging amp is the one you buy a few weeks before you die, or maybe later! So you don’t really know yet, and thankfully, there’s no way to tell.

I suppose it’s true that surprises are a good thing. :eek:

PS, I like the Mark V, had the 100 Watt version because I’m that guy. ;)

Last edited:
Your last gigging amp is the one you buy a few weeks before you die, or maybe later! So you don’t really know yet, and thankfully, there’s no way to tell.

I suppose it’s true that surprises are a good thing. :eek:

Hopefully that day is a while away, but in the meantime, I have lots of amps to choose from. They are just much heavier. 40+ lbs. I don’t want to lug them around anymore when this little guy is so easy!

(Tweed amp was replaced by a custom 1x12 Bassman/JTM45 - sounds heavenly)
IONDnRV.jpg

Killer amp selection!
I use a MK V 90 watt combo, but it lives on top of a Mesa 4X12 and I only use the internal speaker if I take it somewhere without the cab. It is plenty convenient size wise, but boy is it a heavy beast!
I think back to my young days when I used to gig all the time with a silver face twin reverb with EV speakers. I don't think I could survive one gig now!

Killer amp selection!
I use a MK V 90 watt combo, but it lives on top of a Mesa 4X12 and I only use the internal speaker if I take it somewhere without the cab. It is plenty convenient size wise, but boy is it a heavy beast!
I think back to my young days when I used to gig all the time with a silver face twin reverb with EV speakers. I don't think I could survive one gig now!

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bob Marley, Joy Division, and Pantera reside there too. :D

Nice! Bob is in my music room too... with Jimi... and Prince.

You almost pushed me over the edge. Fortunately, I fell asleep before I entered my credit card number.

I couldn’t find a lot of non-Mesa reviews on the Tube. I already have a Mesa TA-30 (which pretty much lives on the Tweed channel) so I want to make sure it’s different enough.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Back