A good comparison of the SE basses

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
I've been waiting on the SE basses to show up in stores so I could check them out, but nobody's stocking them yet. But I love the designs and I've had my heart set on one, but I was having a hell of a time comparing the two because without a hands-on experience I'm stuck looking at youtube videos and almost nobody has done a comparison or even a demo of both through the same audio chain. The official demo of the Kingfisher is cool, but it's dominated by slapping and it doesn't really give you a good idea of how the fingerstyle tones compare to the Kestrel.

Paul Annis to the rescue:

The first half of the videos are nothing we don't already know, but the second half provides a nice comprehensive demonstration of tones through each pickup combination, with tone rolled up or down, both slapped and fingerstyle. So of course I found these after I pulled the trigger on the SE Kestrel, but fortunately it confirms what I was already thinking. Hopefully you guys will find these videos useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!

Thank you for the link....

I'm actually in the market right now for a good midline-priced bass....so this helps!

I use YouTube extensively for gear reviews....but I've noticed (and can't stand) the following....

Bass reviews: 2 hours of incomprehensible slapping and popping

Guitar reviews: 2 hours of some guy running scales or playing blues on the neck pickup for 14 mins.

I don't know much about "fair usage"....but the BEST reviews are when someone plays a bit of a known SONG, so you can get a feel of what the instrument can do in a familiar context.

If anyone here posts gear demos and reviews, please keep this idea in mind---please pay familiar stuff, in addition to whatever else you wanna throw in. A million "thank you's" !!

Thanks again for the links

T.

Thanks for posting. That Kestrel looked the goods.... Yum.
RRP is $1200 in Australia, about $1000 the out the door price - so it needs consideration.
I like the U.S. prove better :)

Back