A Funny Thing Happened On The Way Home From Guitar Center Friday...

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
As with Wastelessness' McKorina, I too walked innocently into my local GC on Friday. It was with less innocence that I left. Actually I went home, grabbed a few older pieces of unused gear, and drove back, and then left again with HER.

2012 Studio 10-Top Trem, Scarlet Smokeburst with Pattern neck, OHSC, all candy, etc. They were letting her go for a NEAR-CE PRICE. SERIOUSLY. She is in excellent shape, only a few minor signs of wear - even the setup was decent.

image_zps7spl0i4n.jpeg

I was never a huge fan of these cosmetically because of the way that the covered 57/08 looks with the NFs. So I had never really considered owning one, let alone sough one out. But she sought me out...and over the course of several moments, won over my musical heart. I love Narrowfields (have 2 NF3s) - definitely a different vibe from the NFs with mahogany instead of korina & maple. Also very cool to have a tappable 57/08 in the bridge position. Position 4 is especially fun to noodle around with tap on/tap off. And for that price, I couldn't pass her up...

I will probably remove the cover on the 57/08 at some point, 'coz I think that will look badass. But as-is I think she's pretty awesome anyway.

Congrats! Beautiful guitar; how does it sound??

It was at GC that I stumbled on my 408.... I've also made some other great scores there. Not the biggest fan of their business model, but it can really work in your favor sometimes.

Awesome! I'm with ya on the covered pickup. Just didn't look right to me either. I went with a 59/09 and black rings (didn't like the white ones). The Studio is such a killer guitar. Nice find....you did the right thing!

Good catch - would love to try one.
I love the white rings.
PRS Europe told me their covered pups are potted and really recommend not removing the covers....??

Score!!! Studios were seriously underappreciated when they were in production. I love mine! The only thing I would want to change would be to have the pickup switch in a more Strat-like location.

Congrats man. I also ran across one of those at a GC. The price was great, but still to steep for me, so I didnt even play it. I just KNEW Id be in trouble if I did.

Congrats & great score! Can't say enough about how much I like narrowfields and 57-08's - and you have both on the same guitar!

Awesome! I'm with ya on the covered pickup. Just didn't look right to me either. I went with a 59/09 and black rings (didn't like the white ones). The Studio is such a killer guitar. Nice find....you did the right thing!

Hey Bodia did you get a squabbin 59/09 or an older non-squabbin one? Wondering if this is a drop-in. I was considering taking the cover off the 57/08 (PTC says it's safe, just need to get me a Radio Shack Special soldering iron) but I am wondering if that will accentuate the brightness of the 57/08 against the NFs even more. Sound-wise it's dialed-in well now, but I think something like a 59/09 that's a tad more compressed/darker would go well in here.

Didn't realize there were so many white pickup ring haters ;) I do suppose she would look totally badass with black rings and an uncovered bridge pickup.

Hey Bodia did you get a squabbin 59/09 or an older non-squabbin one? Wondering if this is a drop-in. I was considering taking the cover off the 57/08 (PTC says it's safe, just need to get me a Radio Shack Special soldering iron) but I am wondering if that will accentuate the brightness of the 57/08 against the NFs even more. Sound-wise it's dialed-in well now, but I think something like a 59/09 that's a tad more compressed/darker would go well in here.

Didn't realize there were so many white pickup ring haters ;) I do suppose she would look totally badass with black rings and an uncovered bridge pickup.

It was a non squabbin, I think. To be honest, I'm a little fuzzy on the definition of squabbin. Such a nub I am :iamconfused:

It was a direct drop in though, that much I can say.

As for what it would look like with black rings and an uncovered pick up......

20151030_204429_zpsz3wtksdz.jpg

Last edited:
Back