A Full Understanding of Private Stock vs others?

RockinB23

I have two Tonare Grand Acoustic guitars and one PRS SC-J Limited Edition Archtop. All of them feel like they are top of the line instruments. They were all well over $5000 new. I listed one of my PRS Tonare Grands for sale and made the mistake of putting that it was a Private Stock instrument because the only Tonare listed on the PRS web site currently is a Private Stock version. Mine is Adirondack Spruce over Cocobolo. A collector quickly informed me that my Tonare grand isn't a Private Stock instrument. My SC-J has hand writing on the back of the headstock that says it was a limited run of 300 built from 2008-????. All three of my guitars seem like they are the highest quality that I've owned. I've owned a couple Kevin Ryan acoustic guitars ($18000 guitars) and some other really high end instruments and the PRS guitars are right on that same level. I guess I'm asking what makes a Private Stock instrument stand out over the high end core models that are hand built. Are their different builders building them. One of my Tonare Grand guitars has the label signed by PRS and Steve Fischer but once again not a Private Stock instrument.

Almost any PRS guitar is "Private Stock" quality, in regards to build quality. The difference lies in the choices of woods and the "extras"...

I have two Tonare Grand Acoustic guitars and one PRS SC-J Limited Edition Archtop. All of them feel like they are top of the line instruments. They were all well over $5000 new. I listed one of my PRS Tonare Grands for sale and made the mistake of putting that it was a Private Stock instrument because the only Tonare listed on the PRS web site currently is a Private Stock version. Mine is Adirondack Spruce over Cocobolo. A collector quickly informed me that my Tonare grand isn't a Private Stock instrument. My SC-J has hand writing on the back of the headstock that says it was a limited run of 300 built from 2008-????. All three of my guitars seem like they are the highest quality that I've owned. I've owned a couple Kevin Ryan acoustic guitars ($18000 guitars) and some other really high end instruments and the PRS guitars are right on that same level. I guess I'm asking what makes a Private Stock instrument stand out over the high end core models that are hand built. Are their different builders building them. One of my Tonare Grand guitars has the label signed by PRS and Steve Fischer but once again not a Private Stock instrument.

Private Stock (PS) instruments are built by a whole separate team from the core line in Stevensville.

Limited edition guitars are made by the core line employees, just with special features and limited numbers.

US acoustics are made by a separate, third set of builders. Almost all of them are considered to be PS guitars because there is no core line at the moment and never has been. But I don't think the earlier ones came with PS credentials (detailed, signed PS build certificate).

So, the collector is both right and wrong as far as I'm concerned.

The Tonare is probably private stock spec, but wasn't designated private stock at the time - it would be if built today. There may not be any difference between it and a private stock from that time - if they even offered a private stock acoustic then. It was early in the life of the Tonare so they may not have. You would just have to find a buyer who wanted it for what it was, and not the label.

The SC-J is more clearly a limited run and while it may have been pricey, it won't be quite on par with private stock. That would start with wood selection and end with the level of finish. PRS has done some very good limited runs that hold their value reasonably well, but they are rarely at private stock value.

I agree that PRS acoustics are as good as many small luthiers who command much higher prices. The people who generally buy from the boutique builders just don't know that yet.

I've been watching your guitar for awhile on ebay or reverb or somewhere. I really want it. If timing and/or finances were better, I'd be looking at how to get my hands on it. It's a beauty.

PS guitars are speced/ordered one at a time. They are typically a variation on core themes; some more than others. Each guitar is considered unique, and includes a COA and PRSh tatoo.

PRS acoustics (Tonare and Angelus) were, for a time, a production run. IIRC, there were signiture models too.

My sense is that the build quality of production and PS acoustics is the same. The price was not the same.

I went on a tour through the factory a couple of weeks ago. When going through the acoustic section, I remember thinking it was very very small. As I was thinking that, the tour guide stated that the acoustics are considered private stock guitars and the production #s/month are very low. Basically, if I understood correctly, they are only built as they are ordered. But as others have stated, the private stock guitars are assembled in a section all their own. Was a great tour and am actually going back to take my dad through at the start of October. Would recommend it to anyone who is able to get there.

My new Santana is an artist package, when my friend compared it to his private stock he was astonished at the tone and the build in general.The woods that were chosen are outstanding, since the only input I had was choice of color and neck material.I'am on cloud nine with this guitar I could not have hoped for a more beautiful guitar.thanks to everyone on the core line.

Back