A few enhancements to my S2

jrw32

I've owned close to 20 core PRSi over the years, but I honestly think this S2 might be one of the best playing/sounding! Resonant, woody, and fat but chimey. Didn't even need to change the pickups, but did make some (mostly) cosmetic changes: PRS white pickup rings (yes the core rings fit the S2s), custom truss rod cover, signed back plate, and trem blocked with a slab of mahogany..now liking it even more! :proud::rock:

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6813.jpg

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

Where da pics? Thinking of making a couple of changes to my S2 as well. It's a Standard CU22. I might change pickups on mine, a bit too bassy/boomy, and not quite hot enough on the bridge. Since the Standard has a pickguard, and my pickups are covered, would uncovered pickups look too sloppy, too much of a gap, or would they look fine? Not sure which way I'm leaning, but probably uncovered.

Gotta ask: what's the point of getting a guitar with a vibrato bar, and then disabling said bar? Wouldn't you be better off getting a guitar with a stop tailpiece?? That said, cool that you've made mods that work for you

Gotta ask: what's the point of getting a guitar with a vibrato bar, and then disabling said bar? Wouldn't you be better off getting a guitar with a stop tailpiece?? That said, cool that you've made mods that work for you

If it was a Core Custom 22, then ya, you could just get the wrap around tailpiece. The S2's Custom 22 only comes equipped with the vibrato though.

Last edited:
If it was a Core Custom 22, then ya, you could just get the wrap around tailpiece. The S2's Custom 22 only comes equipped with the vibrato though.

You nailed it, thanks VHT. Other than going Private Stock, which I can't afford, this is currently the only way to get a Cu22 semi-hollow with Pattern Reg. neck. Plus I tend to find a blocked trem plays a little easier than the stoptails. Could be the neck angle, but then again it could all be in my head.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Gotta ask: what's the point of getting a guitar with a vibrato bar, and then disabling said bar? Wouldn't you be better off getting a guitar with a stop tailpiece??
Maybe if one is of the Clapton-esque belief that a blocked trem does something for the tone that they like?

@jrw32: Congrats. You really got a nice piece of S2.
Noticing your signed backplate, I would like to announce a new thread: "Show off with your signed backplate PRSi!"

That looks great. I'm seriously thinking that the S2 line is where it's at, in terms of value.

Back