A couple of NGDs

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I had been looking for a good deal on a used SC58 or SC245 for quite a while. I came really close to buying a couple, but when I found one I wanted I just couldn't get it for a price I was comfortable with. I was also looking at less expensive shorter scale LP-type guitars, but nothing jumped out at me. At some point, the PRS Akesson model appeared on my radar and I really liked the specs: thick body and neck, ebony fret board and large frets.

I managed to find a nice one relatively quickly and despite its shortcomings, it has exceeded my expectations. I had to update the nut to a USA PRS nut to stabilize the tuning, and I replaced the 245 pickups (which were OK) with a set of Duncan JB/Jazz humbuckers. It's no Core model, but it's better than any SE model I've played. I love the fat neck and body.

Akesson_front_zpsxlf1frqv.jpg

The top is subtle, and very nice. It looks better in person. I like the bridge, despite the slight hassle when changing strings, which isn't bad once you get the hang of it. I'm sure it contributes to the excellent sustain and resonance of the guitar.

Akesson_body_zpsepuplkcm.jpg

Even the birds are cool. Better than the normal SE birds and the birds on the new CE24 (I had to get that dig in here :) )

Akesson_neck_zpsfbaimspv.jpg

It scratches that LP itch pretty good. Who needs a Core model, right?

Well, need has nothing to do with anything. Having this guitar didn't prevent me from continuing to browse Craigs List. And we all know what happens when you keep looking at guitars for sale. A couple weeks later I saw a smoking deal on an SC245 and snagged it that same day.

This is a 2009 SC245 Sunburst with "Paul's Finish". It's a thin satin/nitro finish on the body and neck. It seems about 80 guitars with this finish were built for the 2009 PRS Experience. (If anyone has more info on this model I'd be interested to learn about it.) And it's got the 57/08s. I can see why people rave about them, though I still need to "figure out" the bridge pickup, as it's not as hot as what I'm used to playing.

SC245_front_zps8f6rhijq.jpg

I love this top.

SC245_body_zpsbdsxteqt.jpg

SC245_neck_zps1dajg5hw.jpg

And here's the current family shot. These cover a lot of ground: 24.5", 25" and 25.25" scales; wide/thin, pattern regular, smallish wide/fat (SC245) and fat wide/fat (Akesson); NF3, 59/09, 57/08, and Duncan pickups; Strat, PRS and LP shapes.

couch_zpspyzmtwor.jpg

Last edited:
Nice little family you have going on there - definitely plenty of sonic variety. Congrats!

Reactions: TFC
Very nice - it was a good day!!! The Ake is always a guitar I've wanted to try. I like the specs. The satin PF guitars are sweet. After playing one, I sent an SC std satin to PTC and had them finish is similar to that. Was awesome.

See, this makes me feel better about myself, cuz at least I wait a week or two between new guitars! I love both of them, you did very well! I dig the top hats on the SE.

Oh man, now I feel bad. I gave you guys the wrong impression. Buying 2 guitars on the same day is just not the kind of guy I am. It actually was a few weeks before I bought the 2nd guitar. I've modified the title & post a bit to make that clear. I hope you will all still respect me. :oops:

I'll respect you, but I'd take that NF3 home and not bring her home til morning!!!

You know what they say: "Once you've had seafoam green..."

The NF3 is a really special guitar. I still shake my head when I think about PRS discontinuing that model.

Oh man, now I feel bad. I gave you guys the wrong impression. Buying 2 guitars on the same day is just not the kind of guy I am. It actually was a few weeks before I bought the 2nd guitar. I've modified the title & post a bit to make that clear. I hope you will all still respect me. :oops:
Close enough for me.

Wow, those are two really nice guitars! I'm in love with the way that SC245 looks with the satin finish and that top! Not that the Ake isn't also great, but seriously, I love the vibe of the SC just that much.

Nice stable. Lots of bases covered there!

Nice collection! Now the difficult question. Which one do pick up and play?
If only you could grow 3 more sets of hands ...... The possibilities

Great, now I have to go back to thinking that I have a serious problem! :D

Nice scores, Andy! My modded SE245 is a smoking guitar, I feel like even after the cost of the modifications it was still an excellent deal! That SC245 is a stunner though, I need to swing by after the blizzard to check it out as I bet even with the lower output pickups, that thing smokes! :D

Thanks everyone!

Nice collection! Now the difficult question. Which one do pick up and play?
If only you could grow 3 more sets of hands ...... The possibilities

I play almost every day, so they'll all get played fairly regularly. But 4 guitars is probably one more than I need (I hope that I don't get banned from this forum for saying that. ;) ), not to mention afford. The Akesson was sort of a placeholder until I found what I really wanted, which was the SC245. I had planned on selling the Akesson once I got a 24.5" core guitar to help offset the cost, but the SE has grown on me. I may end up keeping it around for a while.

Great family of guitars & congrats on your 2 new additions. It's nice to see another owner of an NF3!

Amen. The NF3 has to be one of the most underrated guitars PRS has made, as well as one of the most distinctive. It's a Strat shape, of course, but the pickups make the guitar unique.

Nice scores, Andy! My modded SE245 is a smoking guitar, I feel like even after the cost of the modifications it was still an excellent deal! That SC245 is a stunner though, I need to swing by after the blizzard to check it out as I bet even with the lower output pickups, that thing smokes! :D

Absolutely. I just got inside after shoveling 20" of snow out of my driveway, and there's another foot coming down throughout the day. Not a plow in sight. Fortunately, I've got enough beer to see me through.

Back