A complaint about the PRSguitars.com website...

Some companies, such as Mesa Boogie, provide a very good link to discontinued products, inc specs, manuals and such. I wish every maker did the same.

They have to...all they make is older stuff. ;)
Haha
145751485656940700_resized.jpg

Agree big time. Mesa does this and it is SO helpful when looking for info on an older model. Everything is right there, manuals and all.

(Of topic: Jay, that avatar pic.. SMOKIN!)

Gripping about this reminds of of a local auto parts stores radio commercial... (Caller) "Yes, I need a water pump for a 75 Chevy" (Parts store guy) "What color?" :)

there are many different opinions on whether to "keep up" old model pages or not. We keep previous year model pages up to assist customers and dealers who might be looking at an unsold model from last year's lineup.

When we've left model pages up longer, we get just as many complaints: "if it's on your website I should be able to buy it. I can't? then please take it down or false advertising".

That's probably the reason why most brands who have a new product line year over year do not keep up last year's model lineup. Toyota, Specialized bikes, Burton snowboards, Apple, etc.

All of that said, our Customer Support Center has some of this information...but is admittedly very long in the tooth....and is on our "to-do" list!

They have to...all they make is older stuff. ;)

That's not true...they make new stuff that's "the same as the old stuff", and new stuff that's "a huge technological improvement over the old stuff"...but neither is nearly as good as the old stuff.

That's not true...they make new stuff that's "the same as the old stuff", and new stuff that's "a huge technological improvement over the old stuff"...but neither is nearly as good as the old stuff.

Meet the new stuff....same as the old stuff? Oh no! ...Won't get fooled again!

Last edited:
there are many different opinions on whether to "keep up" old model pages or not. We keep previous year model pages up to assist customers and dealers who might be looking at an unsold model from last year's lineup.

When we've left model pages up longer, we get just as many complaints: "if it's on your website I should be able to buy it. I can't? then please take it down or false advertising".

That's probably the reason why most brands who have a new product line year over year do not keep up last year's model lineup. Toyota, Specialized bikes, Burton snowboards, Apple, etc.

All of that said, our Customer Support Center has some of this information...but is admittedly very long in the tooth....and is on our "to-do" list!
That's good to know, but I'd agree with rugerpc here. As a working webmaster I definitely employ the "Archived" web pages to maintain the historical requests for information. It is really quite simple to do. Oh hey, if you guys need a web guy, I might be able to make arrangements of a fashion... we can talk.

Maybe a section on the website clearly marked "archive" or "legacy" or "out of production" would keep the 'false advertising' nits to a minimum.

I say minimum because: people.

yeah, we've done that. and due to complaints, we've adopted what appears to the fairly standard practice of trying to represent the current model year the best we can (while leaving up the previous model year). You can put a big neon pink banner saying "this is not a current model" and my inbox will still get filled with hisses.

yeah, we've done that. and due to complaints, we've adopted what appears to the fairly standard practice of trying to represent the current model year the best we can (while leaving up the previous model year). You can put a big neon pink banner saying "this is not a current model" and my inbox will still get filled with hisses.
Fair enough James.
I liked the discontinues stuff in the past as a reference, but can see why PRS would stop maintaining it if it is making people cranky. The background to why it went away makes it easier to understand.

Fair enough James.
I liked the discontinues stuff in the past as a reference, but can see why PRS would stop maintaining it if it is making people cranky. The background to why it went away makes it easier to understand.

unfortunately, we can't be all things to all people. we're choosing "help customers and our dealers" over "be a web museum" (prs archive would be a cool fan site!).

but again, I'm very interested in having a more robust and up-to-date Model History section when we get to work on a new customer support site, which I can't wait to get started on

Making a section separate from the main line of models called "Discontinued and out of production models" should do it.

That's really a shame, but totally understandable. Would really be appreciated by us newer to the game if you find a different way to make it work, though.

Kevin

Even better, you guys at PRS could put up the "archive" website. Horses' mouth and what not. Then there can be no argument. Call it theprsmuseum.com or whatever... just isolate it from your main site. If people STILL say "I WANT TO BUY THAT 1992 CUSTOM 24" despite finding it on a different website entirely then point them to Private Stock who should be able to spec it out almost exactly the same. :)

I'm sure the people happy to have this information will seriously outnumber the complainers. Goodwill isn't always found directly in your inbox, but it translates to sales...

Anyway, the thing is, by separating it, nobody could complain that it exists for anything other than historical information...

Even better, you guys at PRS could put up the "archive" website. Horses' mouth and what not. Then there can be no argument. Call it theprsmuseum.com or whatever... just isolate it from your main site. If people STILL say "I WANT TO BUY THAT 1992 CUSTOM 24" despite finding it on a different website entirely then point them to Private Stock who should be able to spec it out almost exactly the same. :)

I'm sure the people happy to have this information will seriously outnumber the complainers. Goodwill isn't always found directly in your inbox, but it translates to sales...

Anyway, the thing is, by separating it, nobody could complain that it exists for anything other than historical information...

sure, and it sounds like a fun project. but we've weighed the pros and cons, and with our limited resources, a web archive is not the best use of those resources right now. maybe in the future!

Back