A comparison: 408 MT vs Ibanez AR325

coyote

408/1=
I know, right away you're gonna say "there is no comparison". And to a large extent you're right! But humor me for a moment anyway.

The reason I'm making the comparison is because, believe it or not, getting the 408 inspired me to pick up the Ibanez. Both were me not seeking them at all, both were me just happening to stumble on incredible deals on near-perfect guitars, and both have their charms. So they both found their way in to my studio.

The Ibanez has a long history. Though mine is a recently made item, its predecessor dates back to the 1980s. And its layout, with the micro-switches performing their magic, might easily have helped inspire Paul in his journey with the 408.

Anyway, here's the good news on the Ibanez. It looks great, and the fit and finish are terrific. The frets are perfect, no dead spots or wolf notes, no protrusions from the sides of the fingerboard (why can Gibson still not accomplish this?). The hardware is solid, it stays in tune, and the pickups sound full and articulate. The micro switches lend a serious tonal variety to the instrument.

All the same can be said of the 408, with the exception that the micro-switches lend a little less tonal variety than on the Ibanez (a consequence of the 408's "extra windings when tapped" configuration I guess).

So why am I comparing?
Because of one of Paul's fundamentals: you want to get out of the guitar what you put in.
The issue with the Ibanez, by comparison, is that the guitar itself does not ring out like the PRS. So the decay on the AR325's sound is much more 'hollow', while the 408's decay remains thick and full and luscious. Likewise, chords played in clean modes on the 408 ring out beautifullly, while on the Ibanez they start nicely enough but kinda fall apart quickly. A huge difference, it turns out. One that will likely find me eventually selling the Ibanez.

Is it fair to compare a guitar that starts at $600 new to one that starts at so much more? Probably not. But I'm doing it anyway, just because playing both makes the comparisons inevitable. Hope you found this interesting.

I look at both as tools in a tool kit. You're not going to use a flat head screw driver to nail in a few nails in your fence, and you're not going to use a hammer to screw in a few nails.

I have an old Jackson Professional Dinky from the 90's with some Duncans in it and it's my 80's shred metal machine! Would I play it for tones that I want out of my SC245 which is setup to be more vintage? Absolutely not. But throw a crap ton of grit and a couple effects and that Jackson takes me back to the 80's.

I agree so much with the tools in a tool kit comment Bowtie made. Strangely enough, my go-to guitar for jangly, quick-decaying rhythm bits is my daughter's sparkly purple Daisy Rock Retro-H, made in Schecter's Indonesia factory with a maple bolt neck, semi hollow basswood body, and el cheapo "Duncan-designed" Firebird pups. Is it even a fraction of the guitar my PRS is? Heck, no! The too-tall, holes in the bottom, sharp-edged TonePros wraparound on it has to be the worst-engineered piece of hardware ever conceived by a respectable hardware manufacturer. Its neck has one fret edge that juts out far enough to catch the treble side e string if you really lay into a power chord (yeah, yeah, I know what a file is, mea culpa on laziness). But it has a couple of sounds it does really, really well, that I can't really get on my EG-3.

Back