A Brisk Jaunt - New Orchestration. Because...Progress!

László

Too Many Notes
I wrote this a couple of years ago, but was never fully happy with how I orchestrated it; a few things have always bugged me. I've also forced myself to learn some new things in the intervening years.

So I deconstructed the entire thing yesterday, last night, and this morning, and re-orchestrated it. I think the result is bigger-sounding and better in general.

Let me know if this works for you, thanks!

I wrote this a couple of years ago, but was never fully happy with how I orchestrated it; a few things have always bugged me. I've also forced myself to learn some new things in the intervening years.

So I deconstructed the entire thing yesterday, last night, and this morning, and re-orchestrated it. I think the result is bigger-sounding and better in general.

DIG!!! I always look forward to these types of posts from you. Thanks for sharing!

Oh and, yes it works for me.;)

I think I the very low brass is masking some of the other instruments ( may need to duck in the kettle drums' and basses' frequencies) and the basses need to increase in volume. Ducking's very simple, it's done with sidechain compression. Takes a little time to set up so, a few hours' work to get it the way I want.

That'll be my next trick, and I'll probably get started on it tonight.

Very cool Mr. L! A brisk jaunt indeed!! Sounds to me like the track to a trailer for a new action film, lot's of excitement!!!
You're very kind, and I appreciate your support!!

I'm working on a new one that's my imaginary score of a film about being on a 16th Century sailing vessel that's 'becalmed' because there's no wind. I'll post it when it's done. It's the opposite of this one! ;)

It's because I'm reading a book on Francis Drake.

Guaranteed to put you to sleep...

Les, when you write things like this, are you "pre-writing" things to hopefully later be used in commercials?

This sounds really good. At first I thought "yeah, that could be a commercial," but quickly became more like a really cool soundtrack for a movie scene with some adventure happening onscreen. Very cool.

The feel is interesting...dynamic; lots of movement, but there's this underlying current of...not 'threat' exactly...more like a competent/professional danger. Like guys working on tall bridge or high-rise construction. Or something more subtle like high-powered financial people or lawyers...sort of like something from "The Devil's Avocate" or something like that.

Cool.

Les, when you write things like this, are you "pre-writing" things to hopefully later be used in commercials?

This sounds really good. At first I thought "yeah, that could be a commercial," but quickly became more like a really cool soundtrack for a movie scene with some adventure happening onscreen. Very cool.
You're kind and thank you!

I couldn't use any of my orchestral stuff for a commercial, too 'foreground-thematic' and I write commercial music to picture anyway. So I don't do this for anything other than personal amusement. No one's going to hear it except my friends, for better or worse.
The feel is interesting...dynamic; lots of movement, but there's this underlying current of...not 'threat' exactly...more like a competent/professional danger. Like guys working on tall bridge or high-rise construction. Or something more subtle like high-powered financial people or lawyers...sort of like something from "The Devil's Avocate" or something like that.

Cool.
Thanks! When I was thinking about this piece, I was originally going to call it "A quick jaunt at super-light speed around the galaxy', because I was thinking about the Cixin Liu sci-fi stuff. But I did want it to convey energy and a little bit of power.

I also wanted to mess around with the woodwind parts just for grins.

Last edited:
Back