98 CE24 Pickup Change

SamIV

Recently picked up a 98 CE24 with the HFS/VB pickups in it. Like the guitar, but not so much the pickups. I would like a set of 85/15’s, but don’t want to pay the price they are going do on Reverb. I am 63 year year old classic rock player , and looking for something to cover these grounds. Isn’t it illegal for someone over 60 to own an HFS pickup?

Don’t mind the VB neck pickup, and don’t spend much time there, so a bridge pickup that matches well with the VB will be ok. What are y’all using that are similar to 85/15’s that don’t cost $450 for a set?

And I had a post a while back about a new CE 24 that I returned, because I was just not enamored with it. Did like the way it sounded though with the 85/15’s in it. This older model I like. I was encouraged to get the older model by some.

Last edited:
I appreciate that recommendation, but I am looking for something lower output. I have heard lots of good things about those though.

@SamIV I can recommend the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker. I just played my 2016 CE24 (w/85/15) back to back with my Gibson Les Paul (w/WLH), and they sounded pretty similar. I would say the 85/15 was perhaps a little more "hi-fi", while the WLH had a more aggressive upper midrange. Alternatively, I found the 59/09 modified with an Alnico 5 magnet and shorter polepieces can get close to the 85/15.

Thanks skelt101. Going to have to look into the Whole Lotta Love pickups. Going to hit Youtube and see what I can find as far as videos.

Last edited:
Back