'94 Custom 22 10-Top/Dragon 1's

Luthier Vandros

I finally have the benefit of some seat time with the CU22 today after doing a quick retrack on a few projects. Some notes on the guitar and thoughts.

• For a 26 year old instrument, it's in remarkable shape.
  • There are relatively few dings in the clearcoat and there was a headstock chip repair on the upper horn (see pic). Nothing major and the paint is in excellent shape.
  • There's minor fret wear down on the cowboy end, but nothing stops this guitar from getting ibanez low without buzzing and choking.
  • The build is impeccable and it's hugely resonant and lively in the hands
  • I rather like the Phase 1 tuners, but for the ratio. Not the worst and she holds tune incredibly well. Made in WEST Germany ha.
  • The neck is the "regular" carve. A handful compared to some of my warmoths, but after 20 minutes, it melted right into my palm.
  • Absence of 2 side dots at the 12th is weird!

These Dragon 1's are pretty unique. They act like high output pickups under heavy overdrive, but man, they sound great clean. My main amp is a 67 Pro Reverb and I've a really nice strat that is my benchmark for clean and gritty things and this PRS isn't far behind it. Really satisfying cleans. Same with the lead tones - fat and rich with some great shades of gray available by playing with the volume pot and pickup height. Jury is still out on the rotary. I've found that my favorites positions are the 1 and 4, with 1 being the bridge.

BTuktmH.jpg

zGYMNLF.jpeg

LIrbZBQ.jpg
ZqQ80D6.jpg

pa7KHNw.jpg
Ch0ZH47.jpg
LNGVjo1.jpg
cshx4AM.jpg
sREEra5.jpg

Dragon 1's on lead here: https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/the-burning-hill
rhythm here: https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/long-gone

Last edited:
I think dragon 1s are remarkable pickups and perform very well in many styles.

Rolling down volume pot creates very good usable tones combined with rotary switch.

I have a ce22 with these pickups and it works well.

I scored a squabbin dragon 1 bridge that I'm putting in my McCarty to mate with 8515 neck. I just need to carve out some time to get that task done.

Very beautiful guitar.

Thanks for the kind words, all. I just learned my oldest son (2.5 yrs) has mild autism and we are now embarking on a long journey. Early intervention. I’m going to have to let this guitar go. I’ve never owned such an amazing instrument and I feel blessed to have had it in my possession for the short while I’ve had it. I will continue lurking here and hope to be a PRS owner again someday. It’s everything you all said it would be and then some.

Cheers,

All the best to you and your family!!

Regarding the guitar: this should have been one of the earliest Cu22 out there. It still has the early small PRS logo...

Ty sir. I really appreciate the background on this guitar, though it’s making me more sorrowful lol. Is there anything else to know? I love learning about these amazing guitars. Can’t get enough insight.

Back