90s Ce24 identification

Paceman

Hi!
Got a good deal on this mystery CE24. I’m mainly curious about the body wood. It’s pretty beat up an the serial no is completely worn off (or scraped?). It has the small headstock logo and milcom bridge. Very skinny neck, skinnier than my WT cu24. The little push that the fretboard makes on the neck pickup mounting ring. The only ID left are some writing in the bridge pickup cavity. Can the board solve this mystery?

IOpPAZH.jpg
IOpPAZH.jpg

HG1XQbC.jpg
WHdaJGw.jpg
90aQSLH.jpg
PAmQDPf.jpg

Last edited:
The image must be hosted on third party site, like Imgur. You can't upload from your PC if that is what you are trying to do.

You need to grab the link to the exact image, like "http://website.com/my_pic.jpg"

You then wrap "IMG" tags around it using the Image tool.

Right now, I'm not seeing any half-baked image URLs, so not sure what's going wrong.

The number 2890 is part of the serial no, right?
It could be but it could also be a match to the neck number. But, since your neck plate does not have the serial number, that makes it pretty early in the CE lineup. They started putting the serial number on the neck plate in 90-91 I think (could be wrong). If so that is a 90 or earlier CE. That makes it definitely alder. One of the really good CE's!

It could be but it could also be a match to the neck number. But, since your neck plate does not have the serial number, that makes it pretty early in the CE lineup. They started putting the serial number on the neck plate in 90-91 I think (could be wrong). If so that is a 90 or earlier CE. That makes it definitely alder. One of the really good CE's!

Thanks for the info! I guess the neck plate could have been swapped though? Where would the serial no have been otherwise? There’s nothing on the headstock.
It’s definitely been played a lot, somebody’s been loving it over the years.

My '89 Classic Electric (not a CE, that name came later!) had the neck pickup ring all smunched up like that, so that looks authentic.

I think that headstock treatment and signature are older than '89, and that neck plate looks not like a normal CE neck plate. If that's as old as I think it is, IIRC, it would have a toggle where that tone knob is. The controls are definitely modified from stock. This one is an interesting puzzle.

Man, grand canyon erosion into the wood! Someone had a very specific strumming pattern!

My '89 Classic Electric (not a CE, that name came later!) had the neck pickup ring all smunched up like that, so that looks authentic.

I think that headstock treatment and signature are older than '89, and that neck plate looks not like a normal CE neck plate. If that's as old as I think it is, IIRC, it would have a toggle where that tone knob is. The controls are definitely modified from stock. This one is an interesting puzzle.

"headstock treatment"? You mean the script logo size and design?

Man, grand canyon erosion into the wood! Someone had a very specific strumming pattern!

Yeah! Or has anchored his fingers there for some intense picking. I kind of like all the wear though, I always feel a bit awkward showing up to the gig with a pristine luxurious guitar. Don't know how to dress :)
I guess most people here don't have a problem with that...?

Yeah, the black headstock with the small signature. I think that's unusual for a CE.
not so unsual for early 90''s i don't think. my 92 has the back face headstock on a really thin profile next. thinner than the LTD thin neck advertised guitars. i think the only thinner neck i've played was on an ibanez.

Last edited:
That's a great looking guitar! I love a guitar that has been played hard ... lots of mojo in that one!

not so usual for early 90''s i don't think. my 92 has the back face headstock on a really thin profile next. thinner than the LTD thin neck advertised guitars. i think the only thinner neck i've played was on an ibanez.
Same. My 92 has the same smaller logo

Back