9.5 Pounds of McCarty

Nice. I have a beastly McStandard that weighs in at around 9 lb.

Sexy! Love me the heavy guitars! Funny little story: Years ago when I ordered my private stock singlecut, I specified they use the most dense chunk of South American Mahogany they had in stock. Shortly after, my dealer received an email from PRS asking if there was a typo. I guess a large number of customers request light mahogany backs or for the guitar to come in at a certain weight. Weight is a deal breaker for a lot of folks and they wanted to make sure there wasn't an error. :)

I don't mind the weight at all.... it was surprising to me when I first picked it up though!
I'm not an expert on PRS, but most I've tried are relatively lite.

Big guitars need love too. If you can't lift nine pounds, time to hit the gym.

That's all great until you have that 9+ lbs beast around your neck for four hours and have neck and back issues. There's a limit for me. Hollowbodies have started to spoil me, too.

That was sort of tongue and cheek. Wasn't meant to offend anyone if that was the case. I carried anywhere from 15 to 40 pounds worth of camera gear all day long for 15 years, sometimes working an entire day in adverse conditions (war zones, natural disasters, etc...) and the one thing I've found is back exercises, and exercises in general go a long way towards solving any issues like that. Screw doctors, screw surgery. Exercise properly, and regularly, you'll have no issues. A nine pound guitar is slightly heavier than the average weight of a human head. For the record, I do not advocate playing with human heads.

My only hollowbody comes in at 8.5 pounds but it isn't a PRS unfortunately. It's the heaviest of my lot. Second is the DGT which is a svelte 8.3 pounds. I don't feel any difference between it and a 7.3 pound PRS.

i just go all robert fripp and sit down while i play it.... seriously though... the weight difference between the 2 McCarty's i have is amazing as well as the tonal differences....

That was sort of tongue and cheek. Wasn't meant to offend anyone if that was the case. I carried anywhere from 15 to 40 pounds worth of camera gear all day long for 15 years, sometimes working an entire day in adverse conditions (war zones, natural disasters, etc...) and the one thing I've found is back exercises, and exercises in general go a long way towards solving any issues like that. Screw doctors, screw surgery. Exercise properly, and regularly, you'll have no issues. A nine pound guitar is slightly heavier than the average weight of a human head. For the record, I do not advocate playing with human heads.

My only hollowbody comes in at 8.5 pounds but it isn't a PRS unfortunately. It's the heaviest of my lot. Second is the DGT which is a svelte 8.3 pounds. I don't feel any difference between it and a 7.3 pound PRS.

I wasn't offended at all; just offering up the other side. I also spend quite a bit of time lugging 30+ lbs of camera gear for 5-8 hour stints, and longer in the mountains. No war zones, unless you count pissed off mothers of the bride, or my spouse for another 3am start time. :)

You'd never guess I was a photographer based on the crappy cell pics of guitars I post. As much as I love my guitars and my camera gear, I get so little time to play any more that the last thing I want to do when I get a spare 30 minutes is set up the lights. I'd rather just play. One of these days, I'll get glamour shots of everything.

PS: both of my SC HBs are around the six lbs mark. SWEET!

Back