'88-'89 Classic Electric Wiring Diagram!

SpHj

Hey all I just got my '89 CE from Dave's Guitars and I just wanted to share this with you all. I know I was looking for a Diagram when I got my '88 to put it back original and was ecstatic when this '89 came in and was Original. The "Metal toggle" PRS used back then is an ALCO MTG 226PA switch. It can be found on eBay fairly easily.

The wiring diagram is quite cool as when the pickups are in the "middle" position only the inside coils are active in series. It's great for Rhythm work

Enjoy!

DSCN1121_zps31e4a1d9.jpg

The wiring diagram is quite cool as when the pickups are in the "middle" position only the inside coils are active in series. It's great for Rhythm work

Are you sure? To me it seems that taping off the red wires would not allow access to only single coils. The T & B are both wired to the switch in full humbucker mode. It does look like the pups will be reversed which would give you the out of phase mode, but not single coil.

And thanks for this but, I can't read the value of the cap. Can you print it and the resistor along with it?

Thanks again

The cap is an 022k and if you know ON-ON-ON DPDT switches:
DPDT_switches.jpg

you'll see that in the "middle" only the white wires are connected along with the taped off red wires creating the "tap" while one of the middle lugs on the switch is still grounded so the circuit is complete.

Last edited:
The cap is an 022k and if you know ON-ON-ON DPDT switches:
DPDT_switches.jpg

you'll see that in the "middle" only the white wires are connected along with the taped off red wires creating the "tap" while one of the middle lugs on the switch is still grounded so the circuit is complete.

Thanks, I see it now. The 022 cap, is that 22 micro-farad or 22 pico-farad? I don't know what a K is for on a capacitor. And the other one, is that a resistor or another cap? Sorry but my eyes aren't too good and I can't see the drawing well enough to know. Could you post it's value too? I want to put my 88 back to original too.

Thanks so much.

No problem, always happy to help a brother out:) Here's pictures of the Caps. I hope they help.
1989PRSClassicElectric37_zps667b5590.jpg

1989PRSClassicElectric40_zps3bb710f6.jpg

1989PRSClassicElectric42_zps0ab8eb81.jpg

Well I finally got the right Alco switch in the mail and I rewired my CE24. The good news is it all works as it is supposed to (well almost), and the almost is the bad news. The tone pot does very little to modify the tone. I used a .022 uF cap. I am wondering it .022K means something different? All in all it is good to have the original T&B pups in it and it is playing well. I just need to know that I have the right caps and if I do then the old tone pot may be worn out.

Well I finally got the right Alco switch in the mail and I rewired my CE24. The good news is it all works as it is supposed to (well almost), and the almost is the bad news. The tone pot does very little to modify the tone. I used a .022 uF cap. I am wondering it .022K means something different? All in all it is good to have the original T&B pups in it and it is playing well. I just need to know that I have the right caps and if I do then the old tone pot may be worn out.
A .022 uF (= 22 nF) sounds right and what is most commonly used on a PRS. Try unsoldering the cap from the tone pot and let the loose end of the cap touch ground (e.g. to the housing of a pot.). You should then definitely hear a difference in tone if the cap is working. If you hear this difference in tone, I would suspect the tone pot (or a soldering to it) to be the culprit.

Do you have the wiring diagram you used or any pictures of your wiring while using the Alco MTG 226PA switch?

Thank you very much Shawn. Very helpful!

Do you also happen to have the wiring diagram using the Alco MTG 226PA switch that Alex Lifeson uses in his CE24?

Unfortunately I don't. Although I do have one of Alex's CE24's in my cubical, so I can post a photo of the electronics if you like. This is one of his CE's with the Baggs X Bridge. Is that what you're looking for?

Unfortunately I don't. Although I do have one of Alex's CE24's in my cubical, so I can post a photo of the electronics if you like. This is one of his CE's with the Baggs X Bridge. Is that what you're looking for?

Alex's guitar! In your cube! Can you send it to me???? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn , a photo of the electronics from his CE's with the Baggs X Bridge would be great. Thank you..

Back