870 Days In...

I am actually interested in HOW you did this. Was it some sort of specific schedule? Was there a regimen-like practice program? Was it just "pull out my guitar whenever I look over at it"? Was it just pure stubbornness? I am only asking because my real issue with how good (or bad) I am at playing is that I don't practice nearly enough. But I am not sure how to overcome the laziness that life sometimes makes easy to take over. How was it that you were able to do it?

OK, so that's one of the cooler things I've read...and I am one of those analytical stat-type guys!!! Congrats...Nice Work.

So, did you have a specific goal in mind?? (Play Hard guitar solo (Freewill, Note-for-note???), get away from what you normally play, break out of a rut, etc...)????

Thanks!

When I started I had never even really touched a guitar. So, I guess I was like any 14 year old going on 50....I wanted to be able to (recognizably) play some cool guitar solos, and be able to walk into a shop, noodle and not make a complete fool out of myself...or at least not offend anyone within ear-shot.

My goals have "evolved" several times since I started, and have grown as my skill level progressed. The goals have also become quite lofty, but I'm determined and extremely hard headed. Now, I am really focused on basic theory and trying to come up with my own stuff by having and then rearranging a lot of the licks I've learned along the way.

One thing's for sure, even though unexpected, the mental and physical benefits have been HUGE for me!

Last edited:
Now, I am really focused on basic theory and trying to come up with my own stuff by understanding and then rearranging a lot of the licks I've learned along the way.

One thing's for sure, even though unexpected, the mental and physical benefits have been HUGE for me!

I’m so old that I was able to put in my 10,000 hours playing two minutes a day for 833 years.

The first 126 years were the hardest.

Last edited:
I am actually interested in HOW you did this. Was it some sort of specific schedule? Was there a regimen-like practice program? Was it just "pull out my guitar whenever I look over at it"? Was it just pure stubbornness? I am only asking because my real issue with how good (or bad) I am at playing is that I don't practice nearly enough. But I am not sure how to overcome the laziness that life sometimes makes easy to take over. How was it that you were able to do it?

Well, it started with me keeping a promise I made to my pop, filling a creative void and occupying some of my time, after getting smashed up in a moyorcycle accident that forced me to "retire" early.

I had a lot of free time on my hands. That was about the one and only thing I had going for me, when I challened myself originally to finally pick one up.

You nailed it though...mostly stubbornness acompanied by keeping a guitar close to me at all times. Plus, I deal with a lot of chronic pain and picking up my guitar takes my mind off of it like nothing else does. Best drug ever!

I guess you could say my schedule is pretty regimented now. I tend to get a lick, a riff or a song and woodshed the hell out of it. But not in a way that is stifling. I change it up pretty often to stave off boredom and to avoid getting into a rut.

I do my best to keep my time playing as fluid as possible. But I ALWAYS start by warming up the paws, by consistently doing "Spider Execises" up and down the neck and alternating between fiingers. If I flub a note, I start over, no matter where I am in the run to keep myself in line! Do a lot of finger stretching and shaking my hands to stay loose. That for me at least, is the one conerstones of my practice that never really changes.

Then, I practice chord progressions working on my rhythm by playing along to backing tracks.The rest of the time I spend trying to get a specific riff, lick or solo under my fingers, until I get at least the "rough draft" in my head and back to my fingers slowly, until it feels natural and smooth, even if it isn't note for note.

Lastly, I listen to music that I love. I litterally walk around with cans on my head all day. I try to train my ear that way, even when I'm not playing at that very moment. Also, I go to bed doing an ear training exercise that I found a couple of years ago. The app is called GuitarTuna. I downloaded the tuner app on my phone and it has a drop down that has an audible ear training game that's tucked away in the free app. I use it religiously and I think it has been an invaluable part of developing my ear.

All that being said...I absolutely fell in love with the guitar. I have been passionate about a lot of things in my life but, this is like finding true love...I'm obsessed with it and I refuse to not have at least one in my life for the rest of my days. So I really, really, really want it..and I can't see that ever changing.

Sorry the post was so long, but I hope it helps in some way bro.

Last edited:
Nice post about your practice routine, Scott. That’s one thing that I haven’t quite gotten a handle on. I will have to look up that app for the ear training. Years ago I saw a segment on Stanley Jordan that showed him using an application on a computer that trained his ear to recognize pitches.

Well gee, now I get it. When I offered to help you get started by getting online with you and jamming, I was a little hurt that you never took me up on it. Now it makes perfect sense! If you’ve practiced 871 days in a row, you’re WAY better than me by now!

Hey, do you give online lessons?

Well gee, now I get it. When I offered to help you get started by getting online with you and jamming, I was a little hurt that you never took me up on it. Now it makes perfect sense! If you’ve practiced 871 days in a row, you’re WAY better than me by now!

Hey, do you give online lessons?

No, no, no! I still wanna do some sort of skype thing or something.
For the record I can never thank you enough for reaching out to me.

Don't get it twisted man...I still suck...just a little less than 872 days ago...but not much.

On the flip side...I have fingertips made of stone, and I can easily pop the cap on a Corona without a bottle opener. So, there is that;).

I still have a loooooong way to go, but I'm enjoying the heck outta the trip!

Nice post about your practice routine, Scott. That’s one thing that I haven’t quite gotten a handle on. I will have to look up that app for the ear training. Years ago I saw a segment on Stanley Jordan that showed him using an application on a computer that trained his ear to recognize pitches.

Thanks my friend!

I really do think that one simple tool has been so invaluable. This one is probably just as effective but it feels a little like "Chinese Water Tourture" but it definitely helps.

No, no, no! I still wanna do some sort of skype thing or something.
For the record I can never thank you enough for reaching out to me.

Don't get it twisted man...I still suck...just a little less than 872 days ago...but not much.

On the flip side...I have fingertips made of stone, and I can easily pop the cap on a Corona without a bottle opener. So, there is that;).

I still have a loooooong way to go, but I'm enjoying the heck outta the trip!

You know I'm just pulling your chain. That is impressive though. (the 871 days, not the Corona thing. :p)

Back