'87 PRS Bass Faded whale blue

rabidhamster

Just picked this up a few days ago. Really enjoying it so far, the faded whale blue really makes the grain pop, plus more importantly is got a great variety of good tones and a massive low end. So far it seems like the positions are middle pickup (great P sound), neck pickup (ultra low with clarity), Neck and Bridge pickup (Excellent EBO / kind of/Sort of Rick maybe sound), mid+bridge (good P/J tone, not quite Jazz bass IMO), and rear most switch position is nothing - signal muted - not sure if thats supposed to be like that or if theres a wiring issue I need to remedy, I noticed there is no neck+middle combo.

I've had my eye on an old PRS bass for a while but never made it happen til this one made itself available to me.

Thing has CRAZY light strings on it right now, its about the guitarist equivalent of 8's - its like they took a light set of bass strings, threw the low E away and moved everything down, adding a thick guitar string for the high G. Maybe its a full set I dont know. Makes it sound like I'm really digging in when I'm sitting back chillin'. I start to miss my regular set of light strings when I really dig in, but time will tell if I swap them to my usual gauge.

Without further ado - the poorly taken photos!

Crap wait, what photo hosting site are we using instead of those Photobucket creeps now?

Nice! I hear those are supposed to push out some serious low frequencies, only person I’ve ever really paid attention to that rocked one is Robbie Shakespeare.

I’m using Imgur for photo hosting. It takes a minute to get used to it but it’s way more stable than photobucket ever was... and free.

Just picked this up a few days ago. Really enjoying it so far, the faded whale blue really makes the grain pop, plus more importantly is got a great variety of good tones and a massive low end. So far it seems like the positions are middle pickup (great P sound), neck pickup (ultra low with clarity), Neck and Bridge pickup (Excellent EBO / kind of/Sort of Rick maybe sound), mid+bridge (good P/J tone, not quite Jazz bass IMO), and rear most switch position is nothing - signal muted - not sure if thats supposed to be like that or if theres a wiring issue I need to remedy, I noticed there is no neck+middle combo.

I've had my eye on an old PRS bass for a while but never made it happen til this one made itself available to me.

Thing has CRAZY light strings on it right now, its about the guitarist equivalent of 8's - its like they took a light set of bass strings, threw the low E away and moved everything down, adding a thick guitar string for the high G. Maybe its a full set I dont know. Makes it sound like I'm really digging in when I'm sitting back chillin'. I start to miss my regular set of light strings when I really dig in, but time will tell if I swap them to my usual gauge.

Without further ado - the poorly taken photos!

Crap wait, what photo hosting site are we using instead of those Photobucket creeps now?

Try Imgur for hosting your pics.

Thanks Gents! Got a couple uploaded over lunch

93vF0wT
93vF0wT.jpg

OKQ6p3H.jpg
SDSKlu2.jpg
EP8CXbh.jpg

Sorry they look a little blurry, I guess I had life photo turned on - I'll get some better ones after work. The fretboard could certainly use a deep clean also...

Niiiice... Congrats! and I have a few extra TRCs laying around, if you want a "whole" one...maybe find out of they're the same size as modern PRS guitar TRCs...PM me...

Oh man........I was stoked to see this.

Please Post Pics! !!
thanks, Sorry Bro - I know I hate when people pull that! I just worried I'd never finish the post if i didn't post right then lol!
I could do that kinda blue.
Yeah man! Even in person, its a lot you're looking at a charcoal finish under a clear afternoon sky. Or maybe the color of Silverfish. Flash photography on the back is as blue as it looks.
Niiiice... Congrats! and I have a few extra TRCs laying around, if you want a "whole" one...maybe find out of they're the same size as modern PRS guitar TRCs...PM me...
Thanks, much appreciated my friend! I actually like the look with the old broken one pretty well, I think I'll rock it til it falls off.

Thanks guys, I'm really loving it! Only downside is now I want a CE version too, and a 5 string, and a Grainger...

After seeing pics of the is bass again, I'm on the hunt for one of these older PRS basses.

It may take me years to find the right one for the right price, but I'm a very patient person.

Enjoy that beauty RH.

Back