85/15s rock!

The original T&Bs in my '87 are probably my favorite humbuckers ever. I'm so glad they've gone to that unusual mag configuration again for this modern series. The split tones are just amazing.

I'm blown away with the neck pickup. In my opinion the cleaner you run it the better it sounds.

Agreed. And the splits on the neck pickup are fantastic. Better than any other PRS pickup I’ve installed and tried to split.

The original T&Bs in my '87 are probably my favorite humbuckers ever. I'm so glad they've gone to that unusual mag configuration again for this modern series. The split tones are just amazing.

I have a set of reissue T and Bs that I haven't tried in a guitar yet.

Agreed. And the splits on the neck pickup are fantastic. Better than any other PRS pickup I’ve installed and tried to split.

The secret is in the slug coils. I don't know of any other humbucker design that uses the idea. And I'm surprised that even today, more than thirty years after, nobody else is doing it.
Just brilliant- metaphorically and actually.

I will post in this thread as a follow up to say that I definitely like my 85/15s now. The day I bought my CU24 I was very happy with it but shortly after it seemed like it was losing its mojo. I messed with the pickup heights, swapped pickups, and was ready to give up on the thing until my volume pot just quit working altogether. After replacing it with a new one from PRS it put the guitar back to normal and I've been super happy with it ever since. These pickups are very versatile and dynamic. The only thing I could wish for is potentially individual tone pots for each pickup but as it is I never struggle to find a good sound in this guitar. So if anyone is struggling with something like this don't do what I did. Check the pots and wiring first don't assume components can fail at any time even if they're not very old.

Are the 85/15s the same as T & Bs - so a base feeder magnet plus magnetic slugs in one coil?

I will post in this thread as a follow up to say that I definitely like my 85/15s now. The day I bought my CU24 I was very happy with it but shortly after it seemed like it was losing its mojo. I messed with the pickup heights, swapped pickups, and was ready to give up on the thing until my volume pot just quit working altogether. After replacing it with a new one from PRS it put the guitar back to normal and I've been super happy with it ever since. These pickups are very versatile and dynamic. The only thing I could wish for is potentially individual tone pots for each pickup but as it is I never struggle to find a good sound in this guitar. So if anyone is struggling with something like this don't do what I did. Check the pots and wiring first don't assume components can fail at any time even if they're not very old.
I play a lot of blues these days, open mikes with unfamiliar amps that are usually one channel. Try setting the amp for your lead tone, and then back the guitar volume down to about 7 and split the pickups. Betcha can’t get that with a Strat. Just hit the volume when it’s solo time, and tap the tone control down for the second chorus.

Are the 85/15s the same as T & Bs - so a base feeder magnet plus magnetic slugs in one coil?
I can't be sure. When they first came out they were described as "inspired by" the original 80s humbuckers. So I think it's likely but I have no hard evidence. I haven't ever owned a set so I can't even offer an opinion on how close they are to my old T&Bs or 1985 reissues.

I can't be sure. When they first came out they were described as "inspired by" the original 80s humbuckers. So I think it's likely but I have no hard evidence. I haven't ever owned a set so I can't even offer an opinion on how close they are to my old T&Bs or 1985 reissues.

I keep meaning to take one of my T&B guitars and A/B it against some newer stuff. If I ever get round to it I'll report back what I find:)

Back