85/15s rock!

Cbouty

I have been playing my CU24 for a little over a week now and I am so impressed with the tonal variations possible with the 85/15s. In particular, the ability to get crunch and fuzz with the clean channel of my amp. I probably played the dirty channel of my amp with the gain half way up 90% of the time on my strat. At first with the PRS, I kept backing the gain down. Now, I find I can get better tone for the same type of sound on the clear channel by just adjusting the guitar. Pretty cool!

I just got my 85/15 neck pickup in for my CU24. I can't wait to install it this weekend. From the clips I've heard and playing through other guitars with them installed I know I made a great decision. It should pair really well with my \m/ bridge too.

I agree. I was expecting to be lukewarm on them; knee jerk assumption from the 80s designation.
However, I think they are my favorite prs pickups, of the ones I’ve played. Both the US and “S” versions

I love 'em in my CU22. Great clarity, work well with the tone control, split amazingly well with the PRS resistor wiring. Really can't ask for more.

I have these in my Mccarty and the neck pickup is the best neck pickup I've ever had.

The bridge is pretty good but I'm thinking my favorite PU comBo is 8515 neck 5909 bridge.

It seems my bridge pickup is weaker than neck, any of you guys experience that? I have neck flush with ring but bridge is raised quite a bit.

I haven’t notice the he brdge pickup being any weaker... but my pickups sound like the heights are about the same as yours. My neck pickup is flush and the bridge pickup is up about 4-5 mm(you can just see a smidge under the black front plate)

I loved them when I first played them. I couldn't put the thing down and half the reason was because I could go from the split positions to any of the others and immediately push the amp a bit. They sounded great. Now that I've had it at home for a while I'm almost thinking about swapping them for SD Antiquity PAFs or Seth Lovers... Am I crazy? What pickup height are you guys running? I've messed with it but maybe I'm missing something? They just feel too hot and sterile sounding but maybe I just need to make some more adjustments. I play mostly blues and classic rock type sounds. My other main guitar is a strat.

I loved them when I first played them. I couldn't put the thing down and half the reason was because I could go from the split positions to any of the others and immediately push the amp a bit. They sounded great. Now that I've had it at home for a while I'm almost thinking about swapping them for SD Antiquity PAFs or Seth Lovers... Am I crazy? What pickup height are you guys running? I've messed with it but maybe I'm missing something? They just feel too hot and sterile sounding but maybe I just need to make some more adjustments. I play mostly blues and classic rock type sounds. My other main guitar is a strat.
Everyone has their own tastes. I play mostly classic rock, 80’s rock, and grunge. I haven’t touched the pickip height from where it was from PRS (unless my guitar shop adjusted them)...

CPapFUn.jpg

Everyone has their own tastes. I play mostly classic rock, 80’s rock, and grunge. I haven’t touched the pickip height from where it was from PRS (unless my guitar shop adjusted them)...

CPapFUn.jpg

I just pulled it out and started messing with them again. I keep coming back to the same place with them as I have in the past. This time I think I'll just leave them there even though they're fairly high it's definitely the sweet spot. Tomorrow I'll warm the tubes up when it won't wake up the neighbors and see how it really sounds. I just recently bought this guitar and previously played my strat almost exclusively. It's still my absolute favorite guitar but this is a close second. I don't know that these pickups are actually that much hotter than most "vintage" style humbuckers but since I've not really played humbuckers much for the last few years it might just take some getting used to again. I go through multiple stages like this whenever I get a new guitar. The day I buy it I swear it can't sound any better than it does at that very minute. Then I decide to screw with it because...who knows maybe it could be better?...then I decide I've ruined its mojo...then I keep screwing with it till I get everything exactly the way I like it and I'm in love again.

Last edited:
I spent the day in the studio cutting a track with my CU24 with 85/15s. What a great freaking pickup set. Not to mention, a great guitar.

Got supreme rawness with the guitar, a wah, and the HXDA amp, no dirt pedals. Just...pow! Super nice tones.
The tones you conjure from your guitars and amps are always humbling Les.

I love 85/15s as well, I have two sets in a CU24 30th and a CU24 Piezo. They rock hard and they are super versatile. This past week I've been back in love with my 57/08s however. The 57/08s have a bit of an edge in the upper mids, and in my P22 are my favorite neck humbucker. The 85/15s drive an amp just a bit harder, are a bit more hi-fi and more versatile.

They are not hot pickups at all. I think my neck is high 7k and bridge low 8k.

One man's "sterile" is another's "balanced". If you prefer a more 50's colored pickup, there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I haven't touched the height on my neck pickup, but on the bridge pickup I lowered the treble side and lowered the E and B screw poles. It was very bright and in your face.

The tones you conjure from your guitars and amps are always humbling Les.

Thanks, G., but my playing is such that I’m humbled by everyone else’s playing.

Really, the tones are just a matter of using the dials on the gear until I hear something that sounds good.

I find the neck pickup really shines when it's played cleaner. It makes me want to play with less OD.

CPapFUn.jpg

I think I have my bridge PU a little higher than yours but neck is same.

Back