85/15 Wiring

Paul Parise

I have a2 standard 24 which had 85/15s pickups in it however I just picked up a set of USA 85/15 pickups on the gear page.

The old pickups had green/white/red and bare with the green and white wires landed to the push pull and red to the selector switch.

The USA pickups have black/white/red and bare.

I’ve tried the red and white to the push pull with black to the selector which did not work and white and black to the push pull and red to the selector which did not work.

I imagine the wiring I am in need of is the same as a current model CE 24 with 85/15 pups. Does any have a photo or wiring diagram for one?

Black and White are the start and finish wires. Red is the series connection (coil split wires). Bare is shield (always wire to ground).

They will be reverse polarity to each other, so one will use white for hot and the other will use black for hot.

Black and White are the start and finish wires. Red is the series connection (coil split wires). Bare is shield (always wire to ground).

They will be reverse polarity to each other, so one will use white for hot and the other will use black for hot.

Thanks I figured it out, I used this diagram to make it work.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/alternate-wiring-for-five-way-blade-custom-22-custom-24.25835/

But what you posted is also helpful.

For what it’s worth, while the 85/15s are voices like the USA 85/15’s, there’s no comparison....the USA model pickup is worlds better than the Korean made ones.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but what do you think of the 85/15 bridge pickup?
I have a USA made custom 24 and it came with 59/09s and while the neck pickup is okay, the bridge isn't my cup of tea when it comes to more aggressive / high gain tones.
Looking to stay in the PRS realm, so thinking of replacing it with either an HFS, one of the Dragons, or the 85/15.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but what do you think of the 85/15 bridge pickup?
I have a USA made custom 24 and it came with 59/09s and while the neck pickup is okay, the bridge isn't my cup of tea when it comes to more aggressive / high gain tones.
Looking to stay in the PRS realm, so thinking of replacing it with either an HFS, one of the Dragons, or the 85/15.

No worries about hi-jacking the thread. I don’t have a whole lot of play time nor have i played them with my band live yet, but my thoughts on 85/15’s are if a PAF style pickup is an el34 Tube, an 85/15 is a KT88. They are clear, articulate with more dynamic range than your typical bucker.;

If you want aggressive tones, I don't think the 85/15 is the way to go. They are moderate output. The neck is mid scooped, while the bridge is bright. They both have fantastic clarity and they split amazingly well.

Back