85/15 Vs \M/ (Metal) vs. Tremonti Pickups?

JJDon

I currently have 3 guitars with the 85/15s in them (2 Customs and 1 CE24) and was thinking of maybe putting a higher output pickup in the CE24 since I have it in Drop C right now (would go as high or low as Drop Db or B with it). It would mostly be used for higher gain metal, nu-metal, 90s metal, or modern metal, but not really death metal stuff. I love the 85/15s however and don't really want to mod the guitar if its not going to make a huge difference.

So with that said, would the Tremonti Treble pickup (just treble) give me a lot more output than the current one? What about replacing both 85/15 pickups with the \M/ pickups?

Hi,

i have the CE24 with the 85/15 pickups as well. I also owe the \m/ Metal Pickups. The \m/ Pickups sounded awesome in a Singlecut PRS. Great string separation while played heavily distorted and lower tuned. Generally midrange sounding, but that can change a bit if you downtune with an interesting positive result. I swapped them in my Standard 22 and now they don´t sound so good like in the SC. Maybe I will have to play a bit with the Pickup height. And here is an insider's tip respective the Tremonti Pickups: Go for the former SC250 Pickups. The SC 250 treble is basically the same Pup, like the Tremonti treble. Only the wiring is slightly different.
For me the SC250 treble is one of the most underrrated PRS-Pickups ever made for kinda aggressive sounds. Broad and powerfull distortion with certain warmness and great string separation.

Last edited:
I couldn't deal with the 85/15 in my CE Standard, so I switched for an \m/ set without covers. Sounded fine. Lotsa output. Very full. Especially on clean. In fact the bridge was too full for me. Kinda like the Gibson 500T.
Great for distorted sounds. I did end up selling them though and now sport a set of 59/09 in the CE.

I couldn't deal with the 85/15 in my CE Standard, so I switched for an \m/ set without covers. Sounded fine. Lotsa output. Very full. Especially on clean. In fact the bridge was too full for me. Kinda like the Gibson 500T.
Great for distorted sounds. I did end up selling them though and now sport a set of 59/09 in the CE.

Where have You got the uncovered \m/´s? Never knew, that there was an uncovered version existing..

I have an uncovered \m/ in my Mira and it is a rock machine! The Metal will have a fair bit more output than an 85/15, but they have a balanced eq presentation and are very versatile, as has been said.

Another option: if you really like the 85/15 overall, but just want a bit more juice and different flavour, the 59/09 may be worth a look. Compared to the 85/15, they will have a similar top end, but a bit more juice and more aggressive mid-range.

Ha! I have the 59/09 in my Mc Carty and they sound like a better, more defined version of the 85/15s. On some days I like the 85/15s truly on others I don´t know what to finally think about them..
If I would to make a hard choice, I would prefer the 59/09s over the 85/15s..

What are your thoughts for a good set on an 2006 CE 22 Trem (Mahagony with Maple top) with 11-56 strings and dropped C tuning for Alter Bridge Tones?

Is Tremonti Bass/Treble the only/best option?
Or maybe 85/15 for more variety?
How about \m/ or even 59/09s?
Or maybe a mixed set (like McKnight mixed 58/07 Neck with \m/ Bridge)?

Another option: if you really like the 85/15 overall, but just want a bit more juice and different flavour, the 59/09 may be worth a look. Compared to the 85/15, they will have a similar top end, but a bit more juice and more aggressive mid-range.

I would agree--overall I tend to find the 59/09 to be in the same ballpark as the 85/15, but just a bit more vintage-y version.

Did somebody say uncovered \m/s?

EQiiJh5XsAETM6J

If you are going for lower tunings I would highly recommend M pickups.

They give you the output needed with excellent note clarity but refuse to produce muddy tones.

I've not played a tremonti I have played 8515s and Ms

Ok, I purchased a set of \m/ pickups and wanted to install them on my CE22 (2001) today. The Treble pickup directly caught my attention as the baseplate is not flush with the pickup cover - it sticks out a little (but evenly on all sides).

Now the issue I'm having is that the pickup already is lowered as far as it goes (legs are already touching the ground) but the pole screws are/top of the pickup is still too close to the strings (appr. 1/32).

I'm wondering how deep your cavities are to fit it in? Or are there two versions around with long/short legs?

As I will not start routing down the cavity the pickup will not make it to the guitar and I have to find another solution.
I'm thinking the Tremonti could be an option. Could someone please measure the height of the Treble Tremonti from top of the polescrews to the bottom of the legs? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Back