85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

I don't want to be negative about PRS pups, because they are great. But IMHO, the couple sets of BKPs I have are as good and mostly better than the stock ones they replaced. They just seem to have all the openness/clarity we love about the 5x/xx series, but more range/options as far as output levels and EQ. Again YMMV. Flame-suit on.

I tend to disagree about that. I've went through a few different sets of BK pickups and found to suit guitars other than PRS.
For instance I installed BK mules in a cu24, they were ok, and I actually liked them. But once I went to 57/08 it was night and day difference, much more responsive and volume went up. I've also installed the vhii set and though I liked them at first (ce24 w/ all maple necks are very picky) comparing to my other PRSi I found them weak. I finally bought a sqabin 59/09 bridge and the guitar strait up started singing. This is just my experience, and I'm convinced bcs I've spent the money to know the difference. I just believe PRS pickups a specificity designed for PRS guitars. Most stock Gibson/Epiphone guitars come with low grade pickups and something like BK pickups benefit the over all sound of the guitar.

Since 58/15's are presented as somewhat in between 57/08's and 59/09's (correct?), I'm wondering whether their LT (Low Turn) version are closer to 57/08's...

even though a youtube video cannot have a good quality sound, it's worth to see the PRS video presenting the new McCarty 594:

Last edited:
Right, guys.... am I mental here....
I might be scoring a set of used 57/08s (uncovered!) for a good price.

My orange guitar already has 57/08s (uncovered) and it is my favourite guitar by a mile.
My purple one had 59/09s but I found them too harsh - too high output. I figure I like lower output pickups - I don't play heavy metal... and when I want classic rock sounds I can whack the gain up a bit.

So I got 85/15s for the purple guitar. They seem to split better. However there is still a "grit" to the distorted sound, especially in the bridge position.
I find the 57/08s much sweeter and less harsh...

So I was thinking about just having 57/08s in both guitars. But then, the guitars will be identical in specification!!

Regardless, I think it might be a good idea to buy the uncovered 57/08s as they seem pretty rare these days and I might not get the chance again. What do you think?

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the purple guitar itself because both the 59/09s and the 85/15s seem to be a bit harsh in the bridge position.

Last edited:
Do it, and if there's still a difference, then you'll be able to experience first hand what differences in two identical guitars can be.

I don't think you'll have a problem selling the 57/08s if the additional grit is due to a small variance elsewhere in the guitar. Dibs if you sell the 85/15s. :D

Thanks for that! Bit pricey for me - I was going to get a great deal on some but took one day too long to decide and somebody beat me to it :(

Might be the excuse I need to try HAND-WOUND custom pickups to see if they really are better than "normal" pups or not.

Thanks for that! Bit pricey for me - I was going to get a great deal on some but took one day too long to decide and somebody beat me to it :(

Might be the excuse I need to try HAND-WOUND custom pickups to see if they really are better than "normal" pups or not.

57/08's are really great and good hand wound ones wouldn't cost much less IMO

in case you like old PAFs sound, give a look to these Bernie Marsden sponsored ones (I guess are a little hotter than 57/08s):
http://www.crazyparts.de/area59/the-beast-bucker/

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the purple guitar itself because both the 59/09s and the 85/15s seem to be a bit harsh in the bridge position.

Probably. I've found that changing pickups won't neccissarily correct problems, just change what is emphasised. A bright guitar will still be a bright guitar, but warmer pickups will help de-emphasise the top end.

Might be worth experimenting with a higher output pickup as overwinding reduces the treble response and brings up the midrange.

You can accomplish a lot with pickup height, definitely try that first.

That said, if you can't get what you want, both Fralins and Bareknuckle pickups are nice, but I like 85/15 / 58/15s, so do some research first. Lollars are also supposed to be good.

How do 85/15, 57/08 etc compare to custom, hand-wound pups?
Not just Bareknuckle etc...
I can get a truly custom set wound to exact spec for £150 or so. I hear the custom(hand)-wound pups are the "best".

Who's tried Bareknuckle, Fralin, Lollar etc...? How do they compare to PRS pups?

I sold the 59/09s a long time ago. I can buy some again but think I'll pass - they were too hot. Admittedly, I didn't try lowering them..

How do 85/15, 57/08 etc compare to custom, hand-wound pups?
Not just Bareknuckle etc...
I can get a truly custom set wound to exact spec for £150 or so. I hear the custom(hand)-wound pups are the "best".

Who's tried Bareknuckle, Fralin, Lollar etc...? How do they compare to PRS pups?

I sold the 59/09s a long time ago. I can buy some again but think I'll pass - they were too hot. Admittedly, I didn't try lowering them..

I just put a set of covered 59/09s in my S2 Custom 24 and they were a pretty huge step up from the stock S2 HFS/VB pickups that were in it. I love the overwound PAF kind of vibe I get from them. They have a nice warm sound, but can still get pretty dirty when you want to crank it.

I hear the custom(hand)-wound pups are the "best".
I don't get this. Personally, I have heard good things about all those brands, but it's because they're good brands, not because they're hand wound. I also am not averse to SD or Dimarzio, and have pickups from both, and I intend to get pickups from the aforementioned as well.

Last edited:
I think it's because the wiring is less "perfect" and those inconsistencies actually create a nice sound.

I have played 85/15's and 57/08's through an Archon 50 combo and everyone who heard them remarked about how compressed the 85/15's sounded compared to the openness of the 57/08's

I've owned 59's, 57's and now 85/15's. The 85/15 are nice....it's taken me a bit to get used to them but I'm liking them more than when I first heard them on my amp (Marshall JVM 50w). They sound more like a 59 than a 57 but slightly less hot. Definitely more high end as well. It's a noticeably different pickup from what PRS has put out before. That being said, I still without a doubt like the 57/08 much better. Tighter, more midrange, warmer and just more rocking' overall. It's all preference in the end, but the 57/08s seem to be the choice for most people, so I guess you can say it's a much safer bet with wide appeal. It is a masterpiece pup if you ask me.

Back