85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by guitarman001, Mar 17, 2015.

1. The Fight

The Fight Long Hair Demigod

I tend to disagree about that. I've went through a few different sets of BK pickups and found to suit guitars other than PRS.
    For instance I installed BK mules in a cu24, they were ok, and I actually liked them. But once I went to 57/08 it was night and day difference, much more responsive and volume went up. I've also installed the vhii set and though I liked them at first (ce24 w/ all maple necks are very picky) comparing to my other PRSi I found them weak. I finally bought a sqabin 59/09 bridge and the guitar strait up started singing. This is just my experience, and I'm convinced bcs I've spent the money to know the difference. I just believe PRS pickups a specificity designed for PRS guitars. Most stock Gibson/Epiphone guitars come with low grade pickups and something like BK pickups benefit the over all sound of the guitar.

2. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Since 58/15's are presented as somewhat in between 57/08's and 59/09's (correct?), I'm wondering whether their LT (Low Turn) version are closer to 57/08's...

even though a youtube video cannot have a good quality sound, it's worth to see the PRS video presenting the new McCarty 594:

#162 Phyl, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    The Fight likes this.
  3. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

Right, guys.... am I mental here....
    I might be scoring a set of used 57/08s (uncovered!) for a good price.

My orange guitar already has 57/08s (uncovered) and it is my favourite guitar by a mile.
    My purple one had 59/09s but I found them too harsh - too high output. I figure I like lower output pickups - I don't play heavy metal... and when I want classic rock sounds I can whack the gain up a bit.

So I got 85/15s for the purple guitar. They seem to split better. However there is still a "grit" to the distorted sound, especially in the bridge position.
    I find the 57/08s much sweeter and less harsh...

So I was thinking about just having 57/08s in both guitars. But then, the guitars will be identical in specification!!

Regardless, I think it might be a good idea to buy the uncovered 57/08s as they seem pretty rare these days and I might not get the chance again. What do you think?

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the purple guitar itself because both the 59/09s and the 85/15s seem to be a bit harsh in the bridge position.

#163 guitarman001, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Dusty Chalk likes this.
  4. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

Could it also possibly be the magnet type?
    Are 57/08s Alnico IV?

5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Do it, and if there's still a difference, then you'll be able to experience first hand what differences in two identical guitars can be.

I don't think you'll have a problem selling the 57/08s if the additional grit is due to a small variance elsewhere in the guitar. Dibs if you sell the 85/15s. :D

6. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

Noooooooooo, somebody got to the 57/08s before me :(

7. Phyl

Phyl New Member

8. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

Thanks for that! Bit pricey for me - I was going to get a great deal on some but took one day too long to decide and somebody beat me to it :(

Might be the excuse I need to try HAND-WOUND custom pickups to see if they really are better than "normal" pups or not.

9. Phyl

Phyl New Member

57/08's are really great and good hand wound ones wouldn't cost much less IMO

in case you like old PAFs sound, give a look to these Bernie Marsden sponsored ones (I guess are a little hotter than 57/08s):
    http://www.crazyparts.de/area59/the-beast-bucker/

10. Screamingdaisy

Probably. I've found that changing pickups won't neccissarily correct problems, just change what is emphasised. A bright guitar will still be a bright guitar, but warmer pickups will help de-emphasise the top end.

Might be worth experimenting with a higher output pickup as overwinding reduces the treble response and brings up the midrange.

11. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Try lowering your 5909s. They are fabulous pickups I'd hate to see you ditch em without trying thst at least.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  12. Dusty Chalk

You can accomplish a lot with pickup height, definitely try that first.

That said, if you can't get what you want, both Fralins and Bareknuckle pickups are nice, but I like 85/15 / 58/15s, so do some research first. Lollars are also supposed to be good.

13. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

How do 85/15, 57/08 etc compare to custom, hand-wound pups?
    Not just Bareknuckle etc...
    I can get a truly custom set wound to exact spec for £150 or so. I hear the custom(hand)-wound pups are the "best".

Who's tried Bareknuckle, Fralin, Lollar etc...? How do they compare to PRS pups?

I sold the 59/09s a long time ago. I can buy some again but think I'll pass - they were too hot. Admittedly, I didn't try lowering them..

14. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

I just put a set of covered 59/09s in my S2 Custom 24 and they were a pretty huge step up from the stock S2 HFS/VB pickups that were in it. I love the overwound PAF kind of vibe I get from them. They have a nice warm sound, but can still get pretty dirty when you want to crank it.

The Fight likes this.
  15. Dusty Chalk

I don't get this. Personally, I have heard good things about all those brands, but it's because they're good brands, not because they're hand wound. I also am not averse to SD or Dimarzio, and have pickups from both, and I intend to get pickups from the aforementioned as well.

#175 Dusty Chalk, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Michael_DK likes this.
  16. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

I think it's because the wiring is less "perfect" and those inconsistencies actually create a nice sound.

17. Dusty Chalk

Wouldn't that create a less consistent sound? I don't know, I remain skeptical.

18. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

Nobody knows for sure. PRS never reveal that info...

19. duhdewd

duhdewd New Member

I have played 85/15's and 57/08's through an Archon 50 combo and everyone who heard them remarked about how compressed the 85/15's sounded compared to the openness of the 57/08's

20. cmcgrath72

cmcgrath72 New Member

I've owned 59's, 57's and now 85/15's. The 85/15 are nice....it's taken me a bit to get used to them but I'm liking them more than when I first heard them on my amp (Marshall JVM 50w). They sound more like a 59 than a 57 but slightly less hot. Definitely more high end as well. It's a noticeably different pickup from what PRS has put out before. That being said, I still without a doubt like the 57/08 much better. Tighter, more midrange, warmer and just more rocking' overall. It's all preference in the end, but the 57/08s seem to be the choice for most people, so I guess you can say it's a much safer bet with wide appeal. It is a masterpiece pup if you ask me.

dogrocketp and The Fight like this.