85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

Hey guys my 57/08s just came in and I decided to check out the resistance on both pickups. And I'm just curious, the chart that I found said my treble pickup is supposed to be 7.91K but actually is 8.62K. I know it's not that much of a difference but is that normal? And I'm curious if it's a bit hotter, not that I'd notice. My bass pickup lines up with the chart as normal. Pretty sure this is OK, any one else has these numbers?

look at this thread on music-electronics:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39543/

Hey guys my 57/08s just came in and I decided to check out the resistance on both pickups. And I'm just curious, the chart that I found said my treble pickup is supposed to be 7.91K but actually is 8.62K. I know it's not that much of a difference but is that normal? And I'm curious if it's a bit hotter, not that I'd notice. My bass pickup lines up with the chart as normal. Pretty sure this is OK, any one else has these numbers?
I would not say "57/08's are supposed to be...".

57/08's (especially the early ones) were often in the 8's but weren't very consistent. I believe the newer ones started to drop below 8 by design.

If you have a hot set, yank the cover of the T pup and let it rip.

57/08's (especially the early ones) were often in the 8's but weren't very consistent. I believe the newer ones started to drop below 8 by design.

from an old thread "57/08 TM VS early 57/08..any diffrence ?"
ADP:
The lowest output 57/08s I've seen were unetched (neck 7.6KΩ, bridge 8.45KΩ) but a set of etched 57/08s (without the TM) came in at 8.8KΩ each. Two sets of 59/09s measured just over 8KΩ for the neck and 9KΩ for the bridge, which is very different from the official figures in the PRS store. A couple of sets of 57/08TMs were just under 8KΩ for the neck and around 8.75KΩ for the bridge.

Based on that admittedly relatively small sample, I've come to think that the engraving/etching is no real indication of the output. Of course, DC resistance is only one way to measure a pickup but it does show that there is a degree of variation between them.
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/57-08-tm-vs-early-57-08-any-diffrence.8649/

my luthier found similar values for my 57/08's (without TM) and in any case they don't seem "too hot" - btw I'ld never uncover them by myself! -

a question: the DCR value should be linked ONLY to the windings, the cover should not play any role...

from an old thread "57/08 TM VS early 57/08..any diffrence ?"
ADP:
The lowest output 57/08s I've seen were unetched (neck 7.6KΩ, bridge 8.45KΩ) but a set of etched 57/08s (without the TM) came in at 8.8KΩ each. Two sets of 59/09s measured just over 8KΩ for the neck and 9KΩ for the bridge, which is very different from the official figures in the PRS store. A couple of sets of 57/08TMs were just under 8KΩ for the neck and around 8.75KΩ for the bridge.

Based on that admittedly relatively small sample, I've come to think that the engraving/etching is no real indication of the output. Of course, DC resistance is only one way to measure a pickup but it does show that there is a degree of variation between them.
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/57-08-tm-vs-early-57-08-any-diffrence.8649/

my luthier found similar values for my 57/08's (without TM) and in any case they don't seem "too hot" - btw I'ld never uncover them by myself! -

a question: the DCR value should be linked ONLY to the windings, the cover should not play any role...
There is a difference when the covers are off. Much mor punchy in my opinion.

But I don't think I'll be taking the covers off. I'll be installing them this Saturday, I'm crossing my fingers!

I hope they are on the hotter side! I will be getting back to you on that one!

Hey guys I installed the 57/08s in my single cut and I absolutely love what's going on with this guitar. Very classic sounding but not as far away from a modern pickup than I thought. I honestly thought it would sound warmer and less output but I can say it sounds alot better than I expected, tell you the truth I didn't really know what to expect, seeing ive never tried them. The 57/08 bridge is so full and punchy with a lot of clarity. This is going to be perfect for rush songs! I think I expected it to be more like the BK mule but a little better. It's way better! The mule sounds great by it self, kinda like the #6 pickups that I had prior to installing the 57/08s. But when you grab a different guitar and in my opinion with better pickups, you can see a dramatic difference. The 57/08 sound more open and dynamic, as if the blanket is off.

The neck pickups sounds way different than any other neck pickup I've played. I know I like it but I have to play it a little more to really learn what it's all about. I can say I like the split on the neck pickup alot.

Over all I think I made a good choice, and these are definitely staying on my single cut!
NRwdWh2.jpg

Now time to see what the 59/09 bridge is is gonna do for my 88 ce24!

57/08 better than Bareknuckle Mules? Interesting! Because... I've never tried custom (as such) wound pick-ups and people say they are the best, hands-down.
I love my 57/08s.
I also had 59/09s but found the covers really muted the treble for me, a bit like a blanket over the sound. Uncovered pups every time (for me).

I recently got to play 59/09s and 58/15s (coverd 85/15s) sided by side. The 59/09s were both less output and way more treble than the 58/15s which were full bodied, even tonally and articulate.

57/08 better than Bareknuckle Mules? Interesting! Because... I've never tried custom (as such) wound pick-ups and people say they are the best, hands-down.
I love my 57/08s.
I also had 59/09s but found the covers really muted the treble for me, a bit like a blanket over the sound. Uncovered pups every time (for me).

I hear that too, but I find that PRS pickups are the best for PRS guitars. I don't know how many other brands I've went through for my custom24s and I always come back to PRS brand. The mules are great, but the 57/08 are louder and more punctual. But then again these 57/08 are a bit hotter and mules are generally a warmer pickup and the fact I havnt messed with the screws on the mule could have something to do with it. Also I've never got the chance to compare the mule in a single cut, mby has something to do with something. Just early observations.

Last edited:
Interesting!
I just don't see any need to replace my PRS pups - too much hassle for very little or no/negative benefit...

I have 5708s in my ce24 and they sound pretty good. I actually like the splits on these better than any other pickup I've tried to date.

Mine is set up with push pulls on vol and tone pots with 3 way toggle which could be my favorite setup in my stable.

I had Mules on my SC 245 but eventually went back to the stock 57/08. The Mules are nice pickups, but I just found myself missing the sound of the 57/08.

are 57/08 better than 58/15?

haven't played the latter but I read they are brighter than 57/08 (so I understand this means sound less vintage..)

(btw, my bernie se with 57/08s is now MUCH better)

Actually I think 58/15s sound more akin to my Fralin Pure PAFs than say any "modern" voiced pickup. So wouldn't say they are not "vintage" at all. If anything 57/08s are more bassy though (and some feel 'muddy' as a result at higher gains.)

I've been playing both the 57/08 and 59/09 the last month and love the difference between the two. For me personally I love the 57/08 for that classic rock sound and for lead it's just so sweet sounding, Journey songs never sounded better. But my favorite is still the 59/09, smooth but with power and clarity. Killer pickup, I've never been so satisfied :) Both pickups are so different from each other that you need both! Can I get an amen!

I've been playing both the 57/08 and 59/09 the last month and love the difference between the two. For me personally I love the 57/08 for that classic rock sound and for lead it's just so sweet sounding, Journey songs never sounded better. But my favorite is still the 59/09, smooth but with power and clarity. Killer pickup, I've never been so satisfied :) Both pickups are so different from each other that you need both! Can I get an amen!
Amen brother, AMEN!

Unfortunately, I don't have clips of these pickups clean. But I do have one of my former Arist V clean (it has Artist V pickups, they're sort of a blend of 57/08 and 59/09:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/morganatic-blues

Gotta agree on THAT Artist V and THOSE Artist V pickups. I DO hope to try the 85/15s for myself one of these days,

THESE! My favorite of the xx/xx series are the Artist V's. However, for some reason, I haven't liked the 57/08 or a proto-59/09 in the bridge of a couple Cu24's I've owned. Generally, I've found them to be weak and too bright, no matter how I adjusted the height, etc.. Very strange.

So, I'm puzzled by what must be in the Artist V's that make me like them so much more. Maybe it's just the 22 frets vs 24? Especially since I like the 57/08s in SCs and in a McCarty. And I like the DGT bridge, which should be in the ballpark of 59/09s?

Anyways, I'm intrigued by the 85/15's since they seem to be designed for the Cu24 and sound beefier, but I haven't had a chance to actually play them yet...

I love my 57/08s.

I don't want to be negative about PRS pups, because they are great. But IMHO, the couple sets of BKPs I have are as good and mostly better than the stock ones they replaced. They just seem to have all the openness/clarity we love about the 5x/xx series, but more range/options as far as output levels and EQ. Again YMMV. Flame-suit on.

Back