85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by guitarman001, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Earlier, I saw someone draw a comparison between the 59/09 and the DGT bridge pups. In my rig and my application, I find the two extremely different. The 59/09 is more raw with a modern-ish voicing and the DGT is not. The DGT leans heavily toward the vintage side but has a surprising amount of power/output for a vintage pup. It responds better to the volume control than most other pups.

jeffgoobs likes this.
  2. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

Wow, great thread, just read all the way through and watched a bunch of the videos.

I have been along for the ride since 2008 starting with the 5708's, had a ton of guitars with of those, a ton with 5909's, some 5310's, a Guitar of of 5815's, and 11 guitars with 5815 LT's. ;) (3 of the 594's had something other than 5815 LT's in the bridge, 2 Righteous WL 594's with 5708's in the bridge, and a Brian's WL with an uncovered 5909 Bridge, all 3 with 5815 LT's still in the neck. Both of those were great combinations!)

I just scored two sets of 5815's, they are inbound now, will try a set of those with my PS 594 Trem.

I am eager to find a set of DGT pickups, and covered 5909's.

I have had a ton of fun this year with pickup swaps in the 594's with great results, Lollar Imperials in both the regular and High Wind versions, ThroBak Peter Greens, Throbak MC-102B's, and some Kinman Humbucker Shaped P-90's, plus another set of Kinman Humbuckers.

Circling back now to try various PRS Pickups in the 594's...

3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

You did not make a mistake getting a CU24 ( I have both CU22 and 24 ) depending on pickups the 22 can be a bit ( a small bit IMHO ) fatter sounding in the neck pickup BUT my CU24 with 57/08s in it is a big full sounding rock monster.
    and yes there are TONS of PRS options I am doing my best to have them all :)
    remember PRS controls work really well you have to use them ( Vol , Tone ) to get everything out of a PRS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Korina Jack likes this.
  4. dubber

dubber New Member

Interesting, I've one of the limited run DGTs, it came with a DGT bridge and a covered 59/09 in the neck. The 59/09 was great split, but was honky and dull with both coils. I could get some good sounds with bridge and neck blended, but ultimately swapped both out for BK Mules. The Mules are great, but compared back to back with the 59/09, not quite as good split and not quite as open/touch sensitive, but overall a much better package for me .... maybe the 57/08s are my Holy Grail ... or an unpotted version of The Mule!