85/15"s" vs 85/15 vs ?

Here is my stock S2 Standard 22:

I play metal mostly. The stock pups are ok, but I need more drive. Not sure if it's an 85/15 S though. So, I'm changing to a Dimarzio D Activator X set. l will be posting a demo when it's installed.

I swapped a set of HFS SE pickups for USA ones, no real difference there.

YMMV

Also, to add; I'm slightly suspect of the idea that the SE pickups made in the Far-East are somehow 'worse' quality and that 'USA = better'.

I've made pickups myself, and I can tell you that they're not hard to make, the cost of materials is pretty cheap and that they're easily duplicated with the correct materials; (wire and magnets) and a computer controlled automated winding machine that can wind the exact same thing 100 times a day.

PRS USA no doubt spec'd all the parts and the exact wiring sequence in a software package and sent it to the manufacturer. They're likely just as good.

Also, to add; I'm slightly suspect of the idea that the SE pickups made in the Far-East are somehow 'worse' quality and that 'USA = better'.

I've made pickups myself, and I can tell you that they're not hard to make, the cost of materials is pretty cheap and that they're easily duplicated with the correct materials; (wire and magnets) and a computer controlled automated winding machine that can wind the exact same thing 100 times a day.

PRS USA no doubt spec'd all the parts and the exact wiring sequence in a software package and sent it to the manufacturer. They're likely just as good.

Thanks for your input here. It is very illustrative.

All else on guitars being equal, you can definitely hear a difference between US made and import pups, so no, they are not exactly the same. I’m sure that the parts/pieces used to build the pups are not exactly the same either. “Better” is of course subjective.

All else on guitars being equal, you can definitely hear a difference between US made and import pups, so no, they are not exactly the same. I’m sure that the parts/pieces used to build the pups are not exactly the same either. “Better” is of course subjective.

Sure, I’ve had others that sounded the same but noises, for example. I’m sure cheaper components are used, but you can get them as near as makes no difference. Especially today, they’ve come a long way.

Back