85/15 pickup question

Your choices are-SC250 set, dragon 1 set, M set.

You could raise the bridge pickup closer to the strings but that will change your tone.

Do you feel the 8515 neck is ok? The SC250 and M would be square bobbin so you could buy just a bridge pickup.
Neck perfect. Just shocked when I heard the difference in my HFS on my 2002 Custom 24 vs the 85/15's on my new custom 24. A bit too quiet/soft for me than what I'm used to but I'm going to take some of these great suggestions and crank it up tonite and not give up on the 85/15's just yet but I may end up swapping them out. Need to keep trying. Thanks.

15K vs 8k on the 85/15's ?

Here is some helpful info:

85/15 (CE24) = 7.83Ω / 8.64Ω
58/15 (McCarty) = 7.83Ω / 8.64Ω (not a typo; exactly the same measurements)
58/15 LT (Mc594) = 7.65Ω / 7.69Ω
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/just-some-numbers.18475/

HFS = 15k
Vintage Bass = 8.5k
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/list-of-prs-pickup-specs.8055/

Let me reiterate that comparing the resistance of the HFS to any of the other above pickups is apples vs. oranges due to the thinner 43ga wire vs. the 42ga wire used on the others. Plus it's a ceramic magnet vs. alnico on the others.

I have a 2002 Custom 24 with HAF vintage bass/treble pickups. Just bought a new Custom 24 with new 85/15's and am a little disappointed. They don't seem as hot. I play classic rock, love the dirt/crunch/distortion which I'm getting thru my amp/pedals but it just seems these 85/15's are not as hot. Would love other opinions please.

Are the pickups set to the correct height? I think Lindy Fralin has a video tutorial on that subject.

I have a 2002 Custom 24 with HAF vintage bass/treble pickups. Just bought a new Custom 24 with new 85/15's and am a little disappointed. They don't seem as hot. I play classic rock, love the dirt/crunch/distortion which I'm getting thru my amp/pedals but it just seems these 85/15's are not as hot. Would love other opinions please.

If you install hot pickups in the second Custom 24 you'll wind up with two guitars that basically do the same thing.... and, if you're anything like me then that means you'll play whichever one you like best all the time and the other will sit around collecting dust.

I'd recommend leaving the 85/15s in (for now anyway). It'll give you two different tonal options, and once you get used to the 85/15s and what they can offer you just might dig them.

If you look at the pic in my avatar the guitar on the left has 58/15s and the guitar on the right is HFS/VB. Wouldn't change a thing.

I found a 90s CU24 that I am interested in but instead of HFS/VB it has Dragon1/Artist.

Sounds like dragons are fine compared to HFS but anyone know about the Artist Bass?

Garrett's info really helped as did most of your comments. As he said, my 85/15's are a hair hotter than the 58/15's. Very close. Dave Weiner playin the 58/15's on his latest PRS and I dig his sound. Been playing mine alot and really starting to enjoy the tones. I prefer the 5 way switch and each position is incredibly active and different. Love my HFS on my 02 Custom 24 but as one of you said, I don't want the same sound so cool to have the change. Drivin it hard thru my tube amp and sounds great. I had this Private Stock built per my specs. I have really bad neck and back issues so my old CU24 was killing me due to weight. Had this one chambered and came out 6.3 lbs which is insanely perfect. Can enjoy a gig again with a PRS. Love it. Thanks again for great tips. Rock on.

Anyone find any good comparison for HFS/VB to 85/15 on YouTube?
There's a great HFS/Duncan SH4 comparison and they sound VERY close.

Just ordered one of the CE Satins from last year and will let you know how the 85/15 do. Although guitar construction may not compare to much else being bolt-on maple with full mahogany body. No maple top.

What I want to know, is how would a pair of 85/15 in my se custom 24 would work?

Well, lol, I guess it’s inevitable then. I enjoy the maple necks more than the mahogany necks.

I’ve found the 85/15s to be very responsive to height changes. There is a surprising amount of “push” you can get by raising them up a bit.

Back