85/15 pickup colour codes for wiring?

the_doc735

85/15 pickup colour codes for wiring?

does anyone know the north/south - start/finish (+/-) green/red/black & white colour code naming?

dzQtDue.gif

It depends on which version of the 85/15 you have. Since you show black, white, red, green I assume you're talking about the "S" version that comes in the SE and S2 guitars?

Okay. I had some time, a multimeter, and a set of 85/15 S. So here ya go. If you weren't talking about the S, it's a different story. :D

To match up to your table:
PRS 85/15 S
Red - Start screw (hot)
Green - Finish screw
White - Finish slug
Black - Start slug (ground)​

The standard wiring is the reverse of the DiMarzio and SD versions above. The screw coil is second, so to split to screw coil you send the series link to ground. Whereas with DiMarzio and SD the slug coil is second, so to get screw coil you send the series link to hot.

You can wire any of them inside out to reorder the coils while keeping the phase the same. For example, you can wire the G&B like so to match the SD/DiMarzio functionality:

White - Finish slug (hot)
Black - Start slug
Red - Start screw
Green - Finish screw (ground)

You can also mix and match. For example, wire the Bass 85/15 S the first way and the Treble 85/15 S the second way. If you run both splits to ground you'll have outside (screw) of neck with inside (slug) of bridge.

yes, the 2018 SE 22 custom with trem and coil split function. The 'S' derivative, I think? One vol. & one tone with coil split push/pull function.

Okay. I had some time, a multimeter, and a set of 85/15 S. So here ya go. If you weren't talking about the S, it's a different story. :D

PRS 85/15 S
Red - Start screw (hot)
Green - Finish screw
White - Finish slug

The standard wiring is the reverse of the DiMarzio and SD versions above. The screw coil is second, so to split to screw coil you send the series link to ground. Whereas with DiMarzio and SD the slug coil is second, so to get screw coil you send the series link to hot.

You can wire any of them inside out to reorder the coils while keeping the phase the same. For example, you can wire the G&B like so to match the SD/DiMarzio functionality:

White - Finish slug (hot)
Black - Start slug
Red - Start screw
Green - Finish screw (ground)

You can also mix and match. For example, wire the Bass 85/15 S the first way and the Treble 85/15 S the second way. If you run both splits to ground you'll have outside (screw) of neck with inside (slug) of bridge.

not sure what you mean exactly?

I want to add a 'phase shift' DPDT switch to the above circuit, but not sure how to do this?

I was wondering if someone could modify the attached wiring diagram, to incorporate a 'phase shift' toggle switch, that I could copy please?

I have already separated the coil split switch from the tone pot because I didn't really like the mini pot with the switch stuck on top of it (all-in-one unit).

I have removed all the unbranded and 'Alpha' electronics and replaced it with CTS etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Much appreciated!

take care,

stay safe,

not sure what you mean exactly?

DiMarzio, SD, and others normally use slug coil to hot and screw to ground. PRS use screw to hot and slug to ground. So with your typical coil split to ground (like your diagram), DiMarzio and SD give you the slug coil and PRS give you the screw coil. Which one you want depends on your personal preference. A fun thing about four conductor pickups is you can wire them up in different ways depending on your wants and needs.

Example for Seymour Duncan...
attachment.php

Here's a good diagram for the phase switch...

In_Phase_Reverse_Phase__40362.1471991208.jpg

DiMarzio, SD, and others normally use slug coil to hot and screw to ground. PRS use screw to hot and slug to ground. So with your typical coil split to ground (like your diagram), DiMarzio and SD give you the slug coil and PRS give you the screw coil. Which one you want depends on your personal preference. A fun thing about four conductor pickups is you can wire them up in different ways depending on your wants and needs.

Example for Seymour Duncan...
attachment.php

Here's a good diagram for the phase switch...

In_Phase_Reverse_Phase__40362.1471991208.jpg

many thanks, gives me a bit of a 'hint'!

PRS 85/15 S
Red - Start screw (hot)
Green - Finish screw
White - Finish slug

so according to your explanation above it's the same as 'SD'? Yes?
eUU7O22.gif

Last edited:
Based on 'Garretts' wiring colour code:
can anyone verify the integrity of this diagram from GuitarElectronics, all I've done is apply the colour code and swapped the push/pull for mini toggle DPDT switches.

JpDgchX.jpg

Just a bit concerned because in factory spec. it is the white/green that are joined for the coil split (see image), but in the 'Garretts'/GuitarElectronics image it is the black/green that are joined for the coil split! Is that possible!

cwtdaP9.jpg

Just a bit concerned because in factory spec. it is the white/green that are joined for the coil split (see image), but in the 'Garretts'/GuitarElectronics image it is the black/green that are joined for the coil split! Is that possible!

cwtdaP9.jpg

Remember up top I said you can reorder the coils...

For the Guitar Electronics diagram in post 14, if you want screw coil active in split mode:
  • Red to hot, green/white together to split, black and bare to ground
If you want slug coil active in split mode (which is what you get from any of the pickups shown in post 13):
  • White to hot, black/red together to split, green and bare to ground

For the Guitar Electronics diagram in post 14, if you want screw coil active in split mode:
If you want slug coil active in split mode (which is what you get from any of the pickups shown in post 13):
many thanks!

Please study these two diagrams carefully, thanks:
The first is with your (Garrett's) colour code interpretation straight on to the guitarelectronics diagram.
The second is using the factory PRS colour coding as it is on the current wiring loom (from the pickups) and then applied to the guitarelectronics diagram.
My question being: would it be OK to use either of these interpretations? i.e. they are both 'right' but use slugs and screws in a different way (different polarity)?
DwvFjkh.jpg

RMWtOpc.jpg

NOTE: on both diagrams the pickup colour coding is the same: i.e.
South Start = Red
North Start = White
South Finish = Green
North Finish = Black
...for PRS SE 2018 hollow/trem/split, 85/15 'S' (G&B) Korean pickups.

Last edited:
Please study these two diagrams carefully, thanks:
The first is with your (Garrett's) colour code interpretation straight on to the guitarelectronics diagram.
The second is using the factory PRS colour coding as it is on the current wiring loom (from the pickups) and then applied to the guitarelectronics diagram.
My question being: would it be OK to use either of these interpretations? i.e. they are both 'right' but use slugs and screws in a different way (different polarity)?
DwvFjkh.jpg

RMWtOpc.jpg

NOTE: on both diagrams the pickup colour coding is the same: i.e.
South Start = Red
North Start = White
South Finish = Green
North Finish = Black
...for PRS SE 2018 hollow/trem/split, 85/15 'S' (G&B) Korean pickups.

Yeah they look good.

The top one splits neck to slug and bridge to screw.
The bottom one splits neck to screw and bridge to slug.

If you want to keep the PRS style of splitting both to screw, just wire the bridge split the same as the neck split. Green/White to middle lug of your mini switch, and the bottom lug of switch to ground.

Most people like to split neck to screw since it's closest to the neck for the fullest sound. (Stock PRS wiring)
If you split neck to slug, it will not sound as full, but if you also split bridge to slug, you'll get maximum quack from the middle position.

Some people like to split bridge to slug because it's a little fuller and adds a little more quack to the middle position. It will also be hum cancelling in the middle position.
Others like to split bridge to screw for a sharper sound. It's more scooped like a Tele in the middle position. (Stock PRS wiring)

Back