7string strings on 6string guitar

Albrecht Smuten

Nine of Hearts
I've had an interesting conversation with my bass player over putting 7string strings on 6string guitar, leaving out the high E. Would the pickups work right? Isn't there a tension issue? He said he once put 5string strings on 4string bass and it worked fine...

It shouldn't be a problem. A friend of mine used to do this years ago before the baritone string sets became popular. I think a baritone set or single strings would be more economical now. I'm assuming you want to tune it B to B?

I'm sure the truss rod can handle it, though it may need tweaking. You'll need a new nut or to widen the slots of the existing one.

Id suggest having it set up by a proper tech - it's worth it. When you're changing the guage and tuning that drastically there are a lot of little things that should be done during the adjustment.

Plus, when you get it back it'll play and sound like butter!

Id suggest having it set up by a proper tech - it's worth it. When you're changing the guage and tuning that drastically there are a lot of little things that should be done during the adjustment.

Plus, when you get it back it'll play and sound like butter!

Reasonable enough, I will do that, thank you.

Chug chug.

Damn right! :rock:

Back