7 String SE guitars

G3ck0

Hello =D

I am wondering whether the 7 string SE Model is still in production because I can't find any in stores.

I know that they are still listed on the PRS website but here in Germany I don't find any store who carries them, even the big ones (thomann , session , Music store)!
They are not on Sweetwater or Musician's Friend either.

I want to get one for my birthday later this year, so does anyone have a clue whether I will have to buy one used?

Beside that I am also curious why the 7 string model was left out for the rework the SE lineup has received recently =/

I am thankful for any answer =D

Hmm, it could be that they have stopped production, and it will be discontinued officially with the 2018 line-up.

Or it could be they are planning to do the same headstock update as the rest of the 2017 line-up, maybe other minor tweaks (replace the rosewood with ebony?), and issue it as a revamped 2018 model. (Since the headstock remained the same as before, I was suspicious all extant models were 2016 or earlier production, and they just hit "pause" on the line to clear them out, with no actual production in 2017.)

Only PRS knows, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, you can always grab one from the used market!

PRS has always treated the 7-string like a the black sheep of the red-headed family for misbegotten toys.

That said, I love mine. I have 8 of them, going on 9. I may have a problem.

I think they had at some point taken it out of the lineup entirely, not sure why it's back, other than it's family, and home is where they can never turn you away. Perhaps it's lower on the list at World (the overseas manufacturer that makes them on behalf of PRS), which has been having some trouble meeting demands with the whole CITES thing.

Yeah the 7-string guitars seem to be only a side project as there is no core or S2 model of them...
That said it would be really nice if they introduced a new 7-string model in every of their series (SE, S2 and Core) but I don't know whether something like this could happen.

It may really be that they want the "old" models to be completely sold before making new ones, or they want to discontinue the 7-string guitars.

They are listed on the PRS website as a 2017 model, but they are rather thin on the ground and always have been. My guess is that 2017 will be the last year of production for them, at least for a while.

I made a comment about wanting an S2 or a core 7-string on their most recent Youtube channel video and the channel commented back "Hmmmmm". They were probably trolling me but ive left that comment a bunch of times and they never comment back. Even the fact that they notice the comment is a start though! I must up my 7-sting annoyance efforts.

I made a comment about wanting an S2 or a core 7-string on their most recent Youtube channel video and the channel commented back "Hmmmmm". They were probably trolling me but ive left that comment a bunch of times and they never comment back. Even the fact that they notice the comment is a start though! I must up my 7-sting annoyance efforts.
At least they take notice of us 7-string lovers =) I think that they responded could mean that they're thinking about it, so let's hope that they decide it's worth to make new 7-string guitars! =D

It may really be that they want the "old" models to be completely sold before making new ones, or they want to discontinue the 7-string guitars.
You know, we keep hypothesizing and assuming it's feelings are somesuch, but it's probably very simple, business explanation -- they're trying to match the supply to the demand. Previous years, they may have provided slightly higher supply than demand, so now they're erring on the underside, and it'll probably continue to swing back and forth, just like every other hard-to-predict market.

Back