#7 Pickups in S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by JTroska, Mar 16, 2015.

1. JTroska

JTroska New Member

I'm very interested in the PRS S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut. I have a thing for semi-hollows but hate that most copy the Gibson ES335 headstock and other design flaws. So I was delighted to see PRS make an ergonomic semi-hollow without copying design flaws of older traditional instruments.

Music Radar did a review of the instrument and loved the construction quality but seemed to have only a luke-warm opinion of the sound. Mainly that the neck pickup is cloudy and that, overall, it doesn't sound as "dialed in" as the solid-body version.

Personally, I like the semi-hollow's tone in YouTube A/B comparison videos. But, so far, YouTube videos haven't demonstrated the sounds in context of anything.

Are there any S2 Semi Hollow players out there with an opinion of the #7 pickups in the neck position?

Also, I'm confused as to what, exactly, the #7 pickup is. Are they all made over seas? Or is there an American #7 and a different over seas #7. A pickup comparison demo I've heard made the #7 sound beautiful compared to other pickups. But I don't know if that's the same #7 I'd get in an S2.

2. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

If I understand things correctly, PRS used to make a #7 pickup in the USA, and I don't think it's available any more, but they took the same design and have it made in Korea for the S2 guitars, which helps keep the costs down.

3. carpincowboy

carpincowboy New Member

I have American made #7s in a singlecut se and they sound amazing.

4. JTroska

JTroska New Member

Thanks guys. The #7s sounded fantastic to me in a comparison demo I've heard. If anything, they seemed noticable clearer/brighter than a lot of the other pickups in the demo. I found a dealer with an S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut I can see in person. If it's still there by the time I get my days off work, I'll go check it out.

5. jestme

jestme New Member

JTroska... You have great taste... I too am very interested in the S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow and very curious regarding your search and research... Did you manage to get over to the dealer and play one?