#7 Pickups in S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut

JTroska

I'm very interested in the PRS S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut. I have a thing for semi-hollows but hate that most copy the Gibson ES335 headstock and other design flaws. So I was delighted to see PRS make an ergonomic semi-hollow without copying design flaws of older traditional instruments.

Music Radar did a review of the instrument and loved the construction quality but seemed to have only a luke-warm opinion of the sound. Mainly that the neck pickup is cloudy and that, overall, it doesn't sound as "dialed in" as the solid-body version.

Personally, I like the semi-hollow's tone in YouTube A/B comparison videos. But, so far, YouTube videos haven't demonstrated the sounds in context of anything.

Are there any S2 Semi Hollow players out there with an opinion of the #7 pickups in the neck position?

Also, I'm confused as to what, exactly, the #7 pickup is. Are they all made over seas? Or is there an American #7 and a different over seas #7. A pickup comparison demo I've heard made the #7 sound beautiful compared to other pickups. But I don't know if that's the same #7 I'd get in an S2.

If I understand things correctly, PRS used to make a #7 pickup in the USA, and I don't think it's available any more, but they took the same design and have it made in Korea for the S2 guitars, which helps keep the costs down.

Thanks guys. The #7s sounded fantastic to me in a comparison demo I've heard. If anything, they seemed noticable clearer/brighter than a lot of the other pickups in the demo. I found a dealer with an S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut I can see in person. If it's still there by the time I get my days off work, I'll go check it out.

Thanks guys. The #7s sounded fantastic to me in a comparison demo I've heard. If anything, they seemed noticable clearer/brighter than a lot of the other pickups in the demo. I found a dealer with an S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut I can see in person. If it's still there by the time I get my days off work, I'll go check it out.

JTroska... You have great taste... I too am very interested in the S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow and very curious regarding your search and research... Did you manage to get over to the dealer and play one?

Back