#7 Pickups, comparable to what?

IRG

In the S2 series, I had a Standard 22 once with the #7 pickups in them. I don't recall now how they sounded, maybe like a generic PAF clone I guess? Audio memory fades quickly.

So what are they comparable to, perhaps something from Seymour Duncan or other PRS pickups? If I got something like the S2 Singlecut, my first thought would be to swap them out but maybe not immediately, replace them with SD Pearly Gates perhaps. Or just the bridge pickup with something more aggressive like a JB.

Anyway, if you have the #7 pickups currently, what do you like/dislike about them, and if you swapped them out, to what and thoughts about what you ended up with. Cheers.

I previously messed with the #7's, had #6's that were stock in my Singlecut trem that were very close. They were too round in the low end, and voiced in a way that's not to my liking towards modern styles- especially metal. To me, they were tubbier compared to a JB, I guess a bit more 'sparkly' on the top end if that also makes sense.

I've long since swapped out to mostly Bare Knuckle pickups for my PRS guitars, such as the Painkillers, C-bombs/Coldsweats, briefly the Hold Divers, and the Miracle Man. They're versatile enough to cover the older styles that the 6's and 7's seemed to gravitate to, but they fare much better for aggressive material.

I previously messed with the #7's, had #6's that were stock in my Singlecut trem that were very close. They were too round in the low end, and voiced in a way that's not to my liking towards modern styles- especially metal. To me, they were tubbier compared to a JB, I guess a bit more 'sparkly' on the top end if that also makes sense.

I've long since swapped out to mostly Bare Knuckle pickups for my PRS guitars, such as the Painkillers, C-bombs/Coldsweats, briefly the Hold Divers, and the Miracle Man. They're versatile enough to cover the older styles that the 6's and 7's seemed to gravitate to, but they fare much better for aggressive material.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, less ideal for more modern styles. I like versatility too, but the 85/15 S that I have in my other two, are significantly better geared towards more modern and heavier tones. So likely I'd have to swap them out, which isn't really ideal right now.

I had a pair of USA #7’s put into a magic SE Singlecut trem I have. They have a very muscular, brawny sound. Backing off the volume slightly puts them in very good paf territory. Full volume, and they’ll burn the house down with distortion. They respond to volume changes much more than any of my other PRS pickups. They also change sound when I raise or lower them, even if it’s a millimeter or two.

Last edited:
I had a pair of #7’s put into a magic SE Singlecut trem I have. They have a very muscular, brawny sound. Backing off the volume slightly puts them in very good paf territory. Full volume, and they’ll burn the house down with distortion. They respond to volume changes much more than any of my other PRS pickups.

I recall liking the neck pickup more than the bridge, but memory now is a bit fuzzy. I would give them a chance first, instead of just assuming I should change them. Same thing was true with my Tele too.

They sounded good to me, but too tamed for my playing.

Here is my demo. However, I thought they were 85/15 at the time.

The neck 7 is pretty much the same as the Tremonti neck I think. The bridge is kinda extra hot paf ish but it’s pretty bright with quite a bit of midrange to it. You can do moderately heavy stuff with it. I think the 2nd Disturbed album might’ve featured an early SC with 7’s pretty prominently.

I had them in my S2 Singlecut. I can't remember what they sounded like other than that, after playing around with my amp settings and pickup height for a few days, I decided I didn't like them. They were replaced by Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells which sound killer in that guitar. The Rebel Yells were previously in a Gibson Firebird Studio - they sounded good in that guitar but much better in my S2.

I think there is perhaps more of a disconnect between the core #7 and import ones, than other import 'copies' of core pickups - at least going from reading of peoples experiences, who love the core #7,and not that much love for the import version. I didn't enjoy the import ones in my SC satin but the all hog guitar is very dark, so maybe just not the best home for them too?

I replaced with core 85/15 which match well, so maybe the import 85/15s would be better in there? now using a bareknuckles MQ pair, works great too.

Its pretty painless to change pickups on S2s with the pickguard ;)

I think there is perhaps more of a disconnect between the core #7 and import ones, than other import 'copies' of core pickups - at least going from reading of peoples experiences, who love the core #7,and not that much love for the import version.
^That is a great observation!^

SE & S2 owners (like me) are used to finding “S” pickups to be at least proportionally as good as the US versions. I think the #7 “S” pickups may be the exception (or they could just be exceptionally hard to dial-in — I’m lazy) ;)

I know this a a post a few years old, but i figured it's relevant to my question.

My singlecut I just got is at my tech's house having the nut cut and setup so I haven't even plugged in yet.

Interesting conversation. I'm curious how full you guys find the #7 bridge?

I like fat and chunky more than tight.

I love full, thick and juicy pickuos, even slight dark. Love my Dragon bridge, Tremonti Bridge, SC250 bridge and Suhr Aldrich bridge pickups.

I know this a a post a few years old, but i figured it's relevant to my question.

My singlecut I just got is at my tech's house having the nut cut and setup so I haven't even plugged in yet.

Interesting conversation. I'm curious how full you guys find the #7 bridge?

I like fat and chunky more than tight.

I love full, thick and juicy pickuos, even slight dark. Love my Dragon bridge, Tremonti Bridge, SC250 bridge and Suhr Aldrich bridge pickups.
From my recollection, the USA #7's are nothing like you are looking for. In my Singlecut (which they came in), they were a clear, hot and relatively bright PAF style pickup. AP515's description is pretty accurate on where it lies IMO. I currently have a set of DGT pickups that Singlecut currently....THAT is a chunk monster!

Back