#7 Pickup Magnets

Stilla Yinzer

Hey all. I am new to the forum and recently purchased my first PRS guitars. It is an S2 singlecut in black satin. So far, I LOVE the guitar. It feels amazing, looks amazing and sounds great. With that said, the guitar I have previously played the most is an 88 Gibson SG Special with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck. I really like the clarity of the 59 combined with the SD for clean tones while I love the SD for high gain stuff. So that's my frame of reference...

Without playing the PRS a ton, my initial impression of the tone is that offers greater clarity and dynamic range on a dirty amp channel. However, it sounds slightly thin and lacks some punch vs. what I am used to. I get that this is to be expected considering the different pickups. When clean, the #7 neck pickup sounds slightly dark to me vs the 59. All of my impressions may change in time and I would not be surprised if I fell in love with the #7's as-is.

I know the #7 pickups were carefully crafted for the s2 singlecut so I am hesitant to start swapping out pickups. My question is as follows... Has anyone ever swapped out magnets in the #7's? I believe the stock magnets are A4's. I was considering A5's for the neck to brighten it up. This in my mind would be a minor tweak without taking much away from the careful thought that went into the crafting of the #7s and the way they were wound to prevent volume drop when tapped.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Put a 100k resistor across the treble bleed capacitor and that will darken up the tone a bit.

Put a 100k resistor across the treble bleed capacitor and that will darken up the tone a bit.
Ya but I already think the tone is a bit dark... Wanna brighten up the neck when clean. I am assuming it's a 500K stock?

Ya but I already think the tone is a bit dark... Wanna brighten up the neck when clean. I am assuming it's a 500K stock?

IIRC, all PRS pots are 500k. If you haven't already, take some time to play with the pickup height, and adjusting the poll screws. A small tweak can make a huge difference with PRS pickups. That said, lots of guys swap pickups without giving it a second thought. It all comes down to personal preference.

Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum!

IIRC, all PRS pots are 500k. If you haven't already, take some time to play with the pickup height, and adjusting the poll screws. A small tweak can make a huge difference with PRS pickups. That said, lots of guys swap pickups without giving it a second thought. It all comes down to personal preference.

Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks! I am in no rush and definitely plan to play it for a while before making any decisions. I already moved the pickups a little bit to get them closer to the recommended setup specs but I will probably tinkle some more. Any recommendations? I have heard that lowering the pickup while raising the poll screws can create some desirable improvements.

Thanks! I am in no rush and definitely plan to play it for a while before making any decisions. I already moved the pickups a little bit to get them closer to the recommended setup specs but I will probably tinkle some more. Any recommendations? I have heard that lowering the pickup while raising the poll screws can create some desirable improvements.

I always raise the pole screws to match the string radius, and then just play with the pickup height as a whole to get it where it sounds best.

The 7's are nice pickups, but I did swap the bridge on my satin 22 because it was just a little to nasal/high mid focused. On my semi hollow 22 I love them.

I always raise the pole screws to match the string radius, and then just play with the pickup height as a whole to get it where it sounds best.

The 7's are nice pickups, but I did swap the bridge on my satin 22 because it was just a little to nasal/high mid focused. On my semi hollow 22 I love them.
What do you mean by "match the string radius"? Forgive my ignorance...

Regarding the bridge, I considered swapping out for Seymour Custom 5 but I haven't played the guitar near enough to make a decision yet. What did you put in the bridge?

I do as Andy mentioned with matching the string radius. Meaning, if you look at the arc of all 6 strings, sighting down the fretboard from behind the bridge, you'll notice that the saddle heights are different for each string (assuming a trem). You adjust the pole pieces to match that. I do that, and then adjust the height by 1/4 turns until I get what I like. Depends on the type of pickup, and the guitar, more so than a specific height for everything.

I do as Andy mentioned with matching the string radius. Meaning, if you look at the arc of all 6 strings, sighting down the fretboard from behind the bridge, you'll notice that the saddle heights are different for each string (assuming a trem). You adjust the pole pieces to match that. I do that, and then adjust the height by 1/4 turns until I get what I like. Depends on the type of pickup, and the guitar, more so than a specific height for everything.
Thanks. All great feedback. I just played with the screw height on the neck pickup and it really seemed to help to the point that I think I am happy. Boosted the clarity and brightness for sure. It no longer sounds as dark to me.

I do agree on the bridge pup being a little thin and nassly though.

Thanks. All great feedback. I just played with the screw height on the neck pickup and it really seemed to help to the point that I think I am happy. Boosted the clarity and brightness for sure. It no longer sounds as dark to me.

Sweet!

I do agree on the bridge pup being a little thin and nassly though.

I went with a covered 59/09, and it put the tone right where I wanted it, more balanced. The output is a very good match for the neck #7.

Back